Top 50 College Players - Baker, VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » November 2nd, 2015, 3:56 pm

Saw this today. Awesome recognition.

32. Ron Baker, senior guard, Wichita State. Baker can shoot for his fourth straight 30-win season in Wichita this year. That’s amazing. The dude is a pure shooter who can do a lot more and is just one more testament to Gregg Marshall’s ability to find diamonds in the rough. With a senior backcourt of Baker and Fred VanVleet, plus Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp coming off his redshirt and Cleveland State graduate transfer Anton Grady shoring up the frontcourt, the Shockers will once again run away with the Missouri Valley – and will be a force in March.

and at #1:

1. Fred VanVleet, senior guard, Wichita State. That’s right – a year after a freshman-dominated Duke team won it all, a senior is my top player in college basketball! There’s a little bit of legacy award-granting going on here, since in his three years, Wichita State made a Final Four, then became the first undefeated team entering the NCAA tournament in a quarter-century, then beat in-state rival Kansas on the way to the Sweet 16. If you’re not on board the VanVleet bandwagon by now then shame on you. He’s one of the better perimeter defenders in college basketball and one of the best quarterbacks from the point guard position. There’s no statistic that measures leadership, but this dude has it in spades. And he’s dropped 18 pounds in a little more than a year, cutting up and adding muscle. Wichita State ought to hover around the top 10 most of this season, and it’ll be VanVleet leading the way.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basket ... eet-110215
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Top 50 College Players - Baker, VanVleet

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 3rd, 2015, 12:29 pm

Thanks.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GrandpaBear » November 4th, 2015, 1:07 pm

VanVleet is good but is he really the best player in college basketball? I'm not sure he's the best player on his own team.
GrandpaBear
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » November 4th, 2015, 1:08 pm

GrandpaBear wrote:VanVleet is good but is he really the best player in college basketball? I'm not sure he's the best player on his own team.

Tough to decide on 1 player when you get up in that range. You may be right, but he should definitely be in the discussion.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GrandpaBear » November 4th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Most of the AP All-Americans graduated or went pro, but FVV didn't make any of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams last season. Some returning All-Americans who do return: Gonzaga Kyle Wiltjer, Oklahoma Buddy Hield, and Iowa State junior Georges Niang.
GrandpaBear
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » November 4th, 2015, 3:14 pm

GrandpaBear wrote:Most of the AP All-Americans graduated or went pro, but FVV didn't make any of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams last season. Some returning All-Americans who do return: Gonzaga Kyle Wiltjer, Oklahoma Buddy Hield, and Iowa State junior Georges Niang.

Yep. You could certainly make an argument for a lot of players, though FVV has enjoyed much more success than the players you listed. It would probably be even easier to argue with why Baker is all the way down at #32, but again, there are a lot of great players.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » November 4th, 2015, 3:30 pm

GrandpaBear wrote:VanVleet is good but is he really the best player in college basketball? I'm not sure he's the best player on his own team.

Maybe, maybe not. Do you think he's a top 5 player? Top 10 player? They're all interchangeable at that point.

I think he gets the nod over Gavin Thurman and Marcus Marshall though.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » November 4th, 2015, 6:37 pm

GrandpaBear wrote:Most of the AP All-Americans graduated or went pro, but FVV didn't make any of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams last season. Some returning All-Americans who do return: Gonzaga Kyle Wiltjer, Oklahoma Buddy Hield, and Iowa State junior Georges Niang.

Are all pro teams always right about who they draft? How often are they right? I'm not sure that Fred will be drafted in the first round, but I would bet that he will be a pro some day.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby aceslifer » November 4th, 2015, 10:08 pm

when van fleet was selected pre-season 1st team All-American last year, I posted he was the weakest selection in 30 years. Since he never made 3rd team all-American team, I suspect I was correct. Predicting again, he will not be on any all-American team at the end of the season.
aceslifer
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Championz » November 4th, 2015, 11:09 pm

aceslifer wrote:when van fleet was selected pre-season 1st team All-American last year, I posted he was the weakest selection in 30 years. Since he never made 3rd team all-American team, I suspect I was correct. Predicting again, he will not be on any all-American team at the end of the season.

I guess it makes the Aces look weaker and weaker as the L's continue to rack up against him.

Since you're clearly an expert in this field, let's see a list of 15 players better than Van Vleet. I'm sure this won't take long.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball