Top 50 College Players - Baker, VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Top 50 College Players - Baker, VanVleet

Postby Red » November 9th, 2015, 2:37 pm

GrandpaBear wrote:VanVleet is good but is he really the best player in college basketball? I'm not sure he's the best player on his own team.

This. He's a great great college player but it's borderline crazy to have him at #1. It's also stunning that they didn't simply give the nod to some incoming frosh at Kentucky or LSU.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » November 9th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Red wrote:
GrandpaBear wrote:VanVleet is good but is he really the best player in college basketball? I'm not sure he's the best player on his own team.

He's a great great college player.

Should have stopped here. Would have made a lot more sense, especially since it directly contradicts the next clause in that sentence. During his 2 years as a starter, his team is 65-6 (92%), and he is averaging 14.3ppg 5.2apg 4.1rpg and 1.5stl against tournament teams. Now he is a senior. If you can name 20 players with better credentials in the college game this year (enough for me to even begin to consider the claim 'crazy') I'd like to see that list and supporting evidence.

Also, get ready, because you ain't seen nothing yet.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » November 9th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Should have stopped here. Would have made a lot more sense, especially since it directly contradicts the next clause in that sentence. During his 2 years as a starter, his team is 65-6 (92%), and he is averaging 14.3ppg 5.2apg 4.1rpg and 1.5stl against tournament teams. Now he is a senior. If you can name 20 players with better credentials in the college game this year (enough for me to even begin to consider the claim 'crazy') I'd like to see that list and supporting evidence.

Also, get ready, because you ain't seen nothing yet.

Still can't believe how good he's been. Got a chance to see him play in high school and thought he'd be a solid player for you guys but I don't know if anyone could've predicted he'd play at an All-American level these past couple years. Will be fun to watch him and Ron this last year (finally feels like they've been here forever!) except when he faces my Redbirds then I hope they suck for those 2-3 games haha No matter who you are or what team you root for tho you have to appreciate how good of a player and more so person/Leader FVV is
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » November 9th, 2015, 6:54 pm

FVV does all the little things better than anyone else. He didn't play Saturday along with a couple of others. Fred was the only one to wear a tie. The other players had on running suits and looked fine. How many college guys wear ties anywhere these days.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » November 9th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Red wrote:This. He's a great great college player but it's borderline crazy to have him at #1. It's also stunning that they didn't simply give the nod to some incoming frosh at Kentucky or LSU.

You'd think after he dominated your team through his entire career that giving him some extra credit would be pretty easy to do.

The bitterness is amazing, but not surprising. Maybe you'll actually beat the kid in the regular season some time. This is your last chance anyways.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » November 9th, 2015, 8:46 pm

I heard Reid Forgrave who gave some information regarding Fred's ranking. He said that draft standings/career in the NBA were not considered. He also said that Fred's intangibles were very important in this ranking. He said that Fred was the smartest player in college basketball and had leadership qualities in spades. Fred almost never made bad decisions with the ball.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 10th, 2015, 12:29 pm

aceslifer wrote:when van fleet was selected pre-season 1st team All-American last year, I posted he was the weakest selection in 30 years. Since he never made 3rd team all-American team, I suspect I was correct. Predicting again, he will not be on any all-American team at the end of the season.

So, should Coach Marshall cut him or what?

No sense having dead wood on the bench.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 10th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
aceslifer wrote:when van fleet was selected pre-season 1st team All-American last year, I posted he was the weakest selection in 30 years. Since he never made 3rd team all-American team, I suspect I was correct. Predicting again, he will not be on any all-American team at the end of the season.

So, should Coach Marshall cut him or what?

No sense having dead wood on the bench.

2014-15
Honorable Mention Associated Press All-American
NABC First Team All-District 16
USBWA All-District VI
First Team All-Missouri Valley Conference
MVC All-Defensive Team
MVC All-Tournament Team
Wichita State Career Assist Leader
Bob Cousy Award Finalist (Nation’s Top Point Guard)
Lute Olson Award Finalist
Wooden Award Watch List (Player of the Year)
Naismith Award Watch List (Player of the Year)
Oscar Robertson Trophy Watch List (USBWA Player of the Year)

2013-14
3rd Team All-American (Sporting News, NABC);
Honorable Mention Associated Press All-American
MVC Player of the Year, 1st Team All-Conference
Bob Cousy Award Finalist (Nation’s Top Point Guard)
USBWA 1st Team All-District
MVC All-Defensive Team
MVC Most Improved Team, All-MVC Tournament Team

Pretty weak cred.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » November 10th, 2015, 2:19 pm

I'm willing to bet the amount of articles mentioning Fred Van Vleet by national media sources is 500 times greater than the amount generated by the combined mentions associated with anybody at the University of Evansville over the last 15 years.

You can also substitute Missouri State in for Evansville and still make a true statement.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby heartless » November 10th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Championz wrote:I'm willing to bet the amount of articles mentioning Fred Van Vleet by national media sources is 500 times greater than the amount generated by the combined mentions associated with anybody at the University of Evansville over the last 15 years.

You can also substitute Missouri State in for Evansville and still make a true statement.

15 years.... I don't know, Kyle Weems got a bunch of pub, probably not national however. I agree the kid deserves every award he gets. Absolutely great ambassador for the Valley and WSU - yes I still hate (respect) WSU.
heartless
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball