MVC opening night

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC opening night

Postby Wufan » November 15th, 2015, 5:46 pm

mvcfan wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:I believe attendance was around 4,000.
My guess is that you didn't really care about what The ACES drew, on a Sunday afternoon game and were just taking a jab at UE.

He may have been trying to take a jab but you make it easy to take one. That picture doesn't look good so it is hard for you to defend. It may be best if you just say that you are sad too.

I'd like to see a picture of the 4000. My guess is that 4000 is paid attendance and it may be half that.

I know Evansville will support a winner. How much of a winner do they need before we start to see that?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvcfan » November 15th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Wufan wrote:
mvcfan wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:I believe attendance was around 4,000.
My guess is that you didn't really care about what The ACES drew, on a Sunday afternoon game and were just taking a jab at UE.

He may have been trying to take a jab but you make it easy to take one. That picture doesn't look good so it is hard for you to defend. It may be best if you just say that you are sad too.

I'd like to see a picture of the 4000. My guess is that 4000 is paid attendance and it may be half that.

I know Evansville will support a winner. How much of a winner do they need before we start to see that?

They were picked 2nd. You'd think that would help but they haven't been a winner since the 90's (maybe a little later than that but not much) I don't think. I'm not sure what their attendance numbers were then. I do remember that they had good attendance numbers when they were winning the Horizon League.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby klinky » November 15th, 2015, 5:54 pm

In an effort to create more crowd noise closer to the floor the program decided to close a couple of sections at the end of the arena in order to pack everyone together on the sidelines. This worked very well during the CIT tournament and the championship game was one of the loudest in recent years...in part to the seating arrangement.

The photo in question is focused upon the end of the arena where they won't be selling seats until the other sections have filled. There were around 4,000 there today.
Wishing I was back home again.
klinky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » November 15th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Balentine's line:

4/14 FG, 2/6 3FG, 10/12 FT, 1 Reb, 6 A, 4 TO, 39 Min

A - 3,893
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 15th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Aargh wrote:Balentine's line:

4/14 FG, 2/6 3FG, 10/12 FT, 1 Reb, 6 A, 4 TO, 39 Min

A - 3,893

Mockevicious will play a ton of minutes when not in foul trouble. David Howard did well as his back-up. Balentine and Simmons will play a lot of minutes regardless. Get used to it.

Brzoya had a very nice game.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » November 15th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Marty isn't going to change. Freaking Wiley only played a couple of minutes. Daddys boy will start and get 35 a game. You want to know why the fans won't show up. They don't want to watch a Marty Simmons coached team run his dumbass motion offense. Wing and Simmons will play the four all year plain and simple. Marty has no clue how to use size.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby rlh04d » November 15th, 2015, 6:24 pm

bigdawg wrote:Or maybe uni is a lot worse than anyone expected. CSU was picked 7th in the MWC and just cruised to a win in Cedar Falls. Hmmm.

It's going to be interesting to see what Jacobson can do with this UNI team this year, for me personally.

I devalued Jacobson's accomplishments last year because he had loaded his team with upper-classmen ... my argument was that it wasn't a great coaching job because he created an unsustainable team that was designed to win last year at the expense of other years.

I'll be interested to see if I was right or not watching them this year. If Jacobson can keep winning at a high level I'll eat my crow. But that's not a good start.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Remember'70 » November 15th, 2015, 6:32 pm

ptownbraves wrote:DLO looks like a legit PG option and Van Bree and Barker really impressed me with their hustle.

I laughed a little here.

"THEY have VanVleet and Baker. WE have Van Bree and Barker."

Is there a McDowell's in Peoria? :D
Remember'70
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aces44 » November 15th, 2015, 9:20 pm

I applaude any Coming to America reference.
Well Played!!!
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby E-Villan » November 15th, 2015, 10:13 pm

klinky wrote:In an effort to create more crowd noise closer to the floor the program decided to close a couple of sections at the end of the arena in order to pack everyone together on the sidelines. This worked very well during the CIT tournament and the championship game was one of the loudest in recent years...in part to the seating arrangement.

The photo in question is focused upon the end of the arena where they won't be selling seats until the other sections have filled. There were around 4,000 there today.

Klinky is correct. With that said, I don't think any long time Aces fan should be getting butt hurt when someone trashes us for drawing 4,000. Yes, the seating policy does give the impression it's empty from basket angles, but this is a program that consistently drew over 10K a game. Where the heck are the students. What could possibly be going on at UE today to keep the students away from the game? I'm not buying 6K people are staying home because Marty is playing the kid too much..(although it is aggravating)

I would give the tickets away to the end zones to schools outside the core market, like Owensboro, Jasper, Vincennes, etc. That should'nt cost too many ticket sales, and you might just get some to show up, fill the ends, and actually become fans. Kids with free tickets to something will drive their parents crazy to go.

I know it's been a rough few years, but we simply have to get more people in the arena.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball