MVC opening night

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC opening night

Postby glm38 » November 14th, 2015, 6:54 am

Championz wrote:Also, I'm eagerly awaiting BEARZ33's analysis of the loss to ORU and how Lusk is winning back the fanbase.

Not a good start to the Bears season. ORU has some talent but this game was never really close.

We have definitely upgraded our talent. We have more size and athleticism. I was with Bearz and other Bears fans in feeling somewhat more optimistic coming into this game.

Lusk has proven he's a decent recruiter. But I'm afraid it is becoming apparent he's just not a good d1 head coach. Our offensive schemes are just pathetic as are the player combinations that are utilized. :Bam:

I still feel MSU will get back to being one of the better MVC teams in the next 5 years but I don't think it happens with this HC.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » November 14th, 2015, 8:31 am

I predicted 9 wins total this year. that is likely too high. As GLM said, we have talent. Point is weak but not bad everywhere else. Williams and Roundtree aren't skilled enough to play point and Miller is about 5' 9". None of those can shoot and Lusk now hates having Ruder on the floor so the lane is a parking lot. Agood coach would find a way to use his talent but HCPL isn't that guy. If we somehow decide to change coaches the next guy will not have an empty cupboard.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby heartless » November 14th, 2015, 10:43 am

Championz wrote:Also, I'm eagerly awaiting BEARZ33's analysis of the loss to ORU and how Lusk is winning back the fanbase.

I'll give you the analysis. A high school coach can build a plan to defeat this teams schemes. We have good players that are used in the most inappropriate manner. Look at the notes on players minutes, I suppose you could be figuring things out, but it's too late for that.
Church will be a stud, with correct coaching 4pt 10 rbds 5 blocks.
Dixon will be fine
Loomis was our best player for 3 minutes
Miller is a jc, so hopefully time will help
Boone was not Boone
Kendrix if I had his ability...

Bottom line, we play slow, soft and stupid. The only bright spots were the freshmen and Loomis.
We run no secondary break or break at all.
Defensively a YMCA rec team could move the ball and eventually find an open shot.
We don't take chances at either end and look scared to do anything that resembles a basketball move.
Disciplined to a fault.

Btw - bet we have the same issue for at least a few more years. It's one thing to lose a game and go back to the drawing board to figure it out and make changes. It another to keep using the same method to fix your problems.
heartless
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Rollbird5 » November 14th, 2015, 11:35 am

Jeremy Morgan lookin real good so far. UNI 29 CSU 29 6 minutes left
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby stl scooter » November 14th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Colorado St 84
UNI 78
:Bam:
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby goramblers2011 » November 14th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Colorado St is going to be a tourney team this year, imo. I was shocked to see UNI as a 7.5 pt favorite.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » November 14th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Or maybe uni is a lot worse than anyone expected. CSU was picked 7th in the MWC and just cruised to a win in Cedar Falls. Hmmm.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » November 14th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback, glm, bleach, and heartless. I just don't think Lusk is the guy.

Not surprised to see BEARZ33 already go missing.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » November 14th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Did UNI fans count this as an L on their gauntlet of a non-con? Pretty disappointing result for a team that was "contending for an at-large". How many losses are the max for an at-large? 10? 12?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » November 14th, 2015, 4:00 pm

goramblers2011 wrote:Colorado St is going to be a tourney team this year, imo. I was shocked to see UNI as a 7.5 pt favorite.

I made an easy $50 on that one. I couldn't believe the line was that high up.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball