Games Nov 16 and 17

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Games Nov 16 and 17

Postby Wufan » November 18th, 2015, 11:44 am

Redhawk wrote:This Redbird fan really enjoys the information MVCFANS provides but can't stand the
back and forth "gotcha" dialog between factions of fan bases.

I support all Valley programs in the non conference because my hope is that we all rise together.
The Shocker program is on a historic 4 year run and I have no desire to jump on them after a tough
road game loss.

There will always be petty nonsense from posters for all teams but would love it if we talked more about issues that can really take the Valley to a higher national regard...players, coaching, recruiting, attendance, ...etc.

Agreed. I love to talk about players, development, coaching, schemes, etc. Harmless razzing is fun, but some folks get super excited about saying "told you so" or generic put downs.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvcfan » November 18th, 2015, 11:46 am

Being humbled every once in a while is better than being humbles a lot.

As for Tulsa, they took second in the AAC (UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Houston, etc) , won 23 games, and they have their Top 8 players return. All 8 are Seniors I believe. A road loss to them will not be a bad loss. I think that reasonable people would have ranked them higher than ISUR before we played them. ISUR fancies themselves as a Top 50 team and I hope they prove themselves to be that. I also hope that Fred gets mended and the Shockers win some of their upcoming games against Top 20 teams and show they are better than last night.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » November 18th, 2015, 12:29 pm

mvcfan wrote:Being humbled every once in a while is better than being humbles a lot.

As for Tulsa, they took second in the AAC (UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Houston, etc) , won 23 games, and they have their Top 8 players return. All 8 are Seniors I believe. A road loss to them will not be a bad loss. I think that reasonable people would have ranked them higher than ISUR before we played them. ISUR fancies themselves as a Top 50 team and I hope they prove themselves to be that. I also hope that Fred gets mended and the Shockers win some of their upcoming games against Top 20 teams and show they are better than last night.

If Tulsa was in the valley they would probably come in 2nd and compete with wsu for first place IMO
It's tough with it being Fred's senior year and u kno he wants to play in every game cuz he's a big competitor but I think you have to sit him down til he's 100% or close to it even if it means sitting out the tournament in a week or so, sacrifice possibly wins early in order to accomplish the bigger goals later in the year
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » November 18th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Wufan wrote:
Redhawk wrote:This Redbird fan really enjoys the information MVCFANS provides but can't stand the
back and forth "gotcha" dialog between factions of fan bases.

I support all Valley programs in the non conference because my hope is that we all rise together.
The Shocker program is on a historic 4 year run and I have no desire to jump on them after a tough
road game loss.

There will always be petty nonsense from posters for all teams but would love it if we talked more about issues that can really take the Valley to a higher national regard...players, coaching, recruiting, attendance, ...etc.

Agreed. I love to talk about players, development, coaching, schemes, etc. Harmless razzing is fun, but some folks get super excited about saying "told you so" or generic put downs.

:+1:

I'm sure when the Redbirds lose their next game there won't be a shortage blowhards trolling the game thread making irrational flaming posts. I wish we could stick to tongue in cheek teasing of our MVC Rivals, maybe reserving a little more oomph for our more heated rivals. I have to get my digs in against Bradley this year...it's looking like they won't be bottom dwellers for long (hoping I'm wrong!).
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » November 18th, 2015, 6:16 pm

SHOXMVC wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

All of my responses have been direct quotes from WSU fans so if you are unhappy with them or you feel they show an ugly side then you should discuss this with WSU Nation.

Untrue. Not all of your responses here are related to you pulling random quotes from last year. If those quotes are really your platform why don't you also include the conversations around those quotes skippy. You are exactly like the CU politicians America is having to put up with around the recent debates. They stand on a micro quote by their opponent on an issue, but don't consider the important back story for clarity.

I was ok with your first post regarding the quotes, as you could tell with my very playfull comeback. But you soon showed your true colors.

Which of the 2 other posts showed my true colors?

According to the Shocker posters on the forum.... YES, YES they do!- Numerous shocker fans have posted about the importance of preseason rankings on this forum so I paraphrased their thoughts.

You must have been looking ahead to that Emporia State game- this was a shocker post that was quoted & in my original post.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » November 18th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Bottom line is that every non-con win helps every other MVC team and every non-con loss hurts the same. It's fun to see a rival school lose and for the rival team's blow yards to get their cumupins, but bottom line is that it's bad for everyone. We are all in this together (for better or worse), and we should all be cheering for our rivals until conference season, even if only because it benefits our team in the end.

Go Valley, Go Shox!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » November 18th, 2015, 6:53 pm

mathewson10 wrote:I'm not feeling very creative today so I decided to just comment on the WSU loss by using last year's quotes from shocker fans after other MVC teams lost early on in non-conference games.

"You wasted no time getting that first 'bad loss' on the record." -SHOXMVC

"Maybe the top ten [Shockers] were looking ahead to [Emporia State]" -Championz

"Rough start for [Greg Marshall's] preseason favorites. The MVC has been more than disappointing so far. Unreal." -shocks771

"So much for the Valley being stronger" -Shockerfan13

"Pathetic, [Shockers]" -Play Angry

I used previous quotes from a year ago to show how silly it is to think that 1 loss at the beginning of a very long season is the end of the world. I didn't make these up. These were actual posts. Also, I posted this to show ppl that what they say doesn't go away after ppl stop posting on a thread. That only happens with the media. :roll:

Fact:The Shockers loss last night.
Fact:The sun still rose this morning. (Whew, no end of the world!)
Fact:The Shockers are still a good team & truly good teams learn from their mistakes. Players will develop. Some quicker than others. I've always believed its not always how you start but how you finish.

Good luck everyone with your upcoming tourneys. Go Valley!
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » November 19th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Woof.

1. Poor Fred.
2. Shame upon shame Tekele Cotton was never 1st Team All MVC.
3. Agree with earlier poster. WSU fans on here probably deserve a few shots (and the opportunities have been so rare I know you have them saved up), but it's probably still wise to get them in while you can.

Good luck to the Valley this week. Mixed results all over so far.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby goramblers2011 » November 20th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Tulsa down 17 to Ohio at half. :buddies:
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » November 20th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I didn't see that coming.