ESPN calling UNI "defending MVC champions"

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby bigdawg » November 17th, 2015, 8:06 am

Does this seem a bit disingenuous, fabricated or just incorrect? Clearly they are referencing arch madness, but has anyone ever really considered the tournament champion to be the conference champion? Especially in a league that plays a true round robin isn't the regular-season champion the "true champion"?

Maybe I am the only one bothered by this, but to me the shockers are the defending league champion. If ESPN wants to call UNI the defending tournament champion, I'm OK with that obviously.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN calling UNI "defending MVC champions"

Postby Khan4Cats » November 17th, 2015, 8:11 am

This has been debated regularly on here (particularly when Creighton was regularly winning in St. Louis).

I would concur that the winner after our 18-game round robin is the champion, but the NCAA Tournament looks at the autobid winner as the 'champion' and the winner of the tourney does get an "MVC Champion" trophy as well.

It's pretty much nomenclature at this point. WSU is the defending champion, UNI the defending tournament champ.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » November 17th, 2015, 8:59 am

bigdawg wrote:Does this seem a bit disingenuous, fabricated or just incorrect? Clearly they are referencing arch madness, but has anyone ever really considered the tournament champion to be the conference champion? Especially in a league that plays a true round robin isn't the regular-season champion the "true champion"?

Maybe I am the only one bothered by this, but to me the shockers are the defending league champion. If ESPN wants to call UNI the defending tournament champion, I'm OK with that obviously.

As a Shocker Fan, this doesn't bother me. It all depends on interpretation. I think both UNI and WSU represented the MVC very well last year, and both were Champions in some way. Now for official record keeping, the 18 game season should ALWAYS be the official champion rather than who got hot for a weekend in March.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » November 17th, 2015, 9:01 am

I agree with you both and I think you agree with me if I read your words correctly. They should distinguish Northern Iowa as the "MVC tournament champions".
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » November 17th, 2015, 9:14 am

bigdawg wrote:I agree with you both and I think you agree with me if I read your words correctly. They should distinguish Northern Iowa as the "MVC tournament champions".

Correct. Sloppy reporting to say it any other way.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » November 17th, 2015, 9:49 am

I'm assuming Mark EnthusiAdams was the one making the comments?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » November 17th, 2015, 4:37 pm

...hmm guess I'm not the only one that weighs the tourney a little more heavily. Maybe it's not just some weekend. UNI received the conference automatic bid. WSU received an at-large bid. Espn & the March Madness Committee see the conference tourney as something of importance.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LanceShock » November 17th, 2015, 4:43 pm

mathewson10 wrote:...hmm guess I'm not the only one that weighs the tourney a little more heavily. Maybe it's not just some weekend. UNI received the conference automatic bid. WSU received an at-large bid. Espn & the March Madness Committee see the conference tourney as something of importance.

They see giving the tournament champion an automatic bid as a way to increase revenue by having more people watch conference tournaments.

I agree with those that feel that ESPN is being either sloppy or trying to artificially hype something more than it deserves. I think that it is best for either championship to specify what you are referring to. What they mean are a little different, so specifying regular season or tournament champion will tell slightly different things.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » November 17th, 2015, 5:06 pm

In 2013 WSU was the NCAA Tournament Champions. Sure, it was the regional tournament champions, but that seems too arduous to say, so I will stick to the simpler phrasing.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » November 17th, 2015, 5:56 pm

mathewson10 wrote:...hmm guess I'm not the only one that weighs the tourney a little more heavily. Maybe it's not just some weekend. UNI received the conference automatic bid. WSU received an at-large bid. Espn & the March Madness Committee see the conference tourney as something of importance.

lol typical
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball