UNI vs. North Carolina

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI vs. North Carolina

Postby DUShock » November 22nd, 2015, 9:31 am

Well done UNI! Way to set a high bar for the season.

Go Panthers!

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!
DUShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » November 23rd, 2015, 7:46 am

I saw a Sportscenter tweet that UNI is one of two teams which are undefeated against AP Poll #1 ranked teams (both 2-0). The other is CCNY.

Pretty cool fact considering the Panthers snagged both of their wins in the last decade whereas CCNY has not been D1 for eons.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » November 23rd, 2015, 10:45 am

Nicely done!
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 23rd, 2015, 2:48 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:Marcus Paige is highly unlikely to play which is unfortunate for him. It would have also been cool to see him match with Matt Bohannon who was his high school teammate and won a state title with him. (Matt was the tournament MVP :) )

Huge step up for UNI and while I hope for a W, the scenarios to pull one off are pretty narrow with everything and absolutely, everything, having to go right.

We go to North Carolina twice in return for this home game so this is a game that will help our program into the future for scheduling as well.

I am still trying to figure it out how we did that. We did not play a perfect game and we still pulled it off.

Coach Jake has seemed to have gotten these guys to buy into the team first and they just went at it as a team. Ted Friedman played probably the best 0 point scoring game in UNI history. The veterans made huge plays, led by Washpun. We only played 7 guys the entire second half. Etc. Etc. Just flat out out-willed the Tar Heels down the stretch.

I really hope we can bottle this effort and run with it all year. Can't let this be the highlight of the season.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 23rd, 2015, 4:04 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:Marcus Paige is highly unlikely to play which is unfortunate for him. It would have also been cool to see him match with Matt Bohannon who was his high school teammate and won a state title with him. (Matt was the tournament MVP :) )

Huge step up for UNI and while I hope for a W, the scenarios to pull one off are pretty narrow with everything and absolutely, everything, having to go right.

We go to North Carolina twice in return for this home game so this is a game that will help our program into the future for scheduling as well.

I am still trying to figure it out how we did that. We did not play a perfect game and we still pulled it off.

Coach Jake has seemed to have gotten these guys to buy into the team first and they just went at it as a team. Ted Friedman played probably the best 0 point scoring game in UNI history. The veterans made huge plays, led by Washpun. We only played 7 guys the entire second half. Etc. Etc. Just flat out out-willed the Tar Heels down the stretch.

I really hope we can bottle this effort and run with it all year. Can't let this be the highlight of the season.

Even if it is, that's a pretty good highlight.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 23rd, 2015, 4:34 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:I am still trying to figure it out how we did that. We did not play a perfect game and we still pulled it off.

Even if it is, that's a pretty good highlight.

You're right, but nothing would be worse than beating a program like UNC and knowing that you have the horses to compete with one of the best programs in the entire NCAA...and then falling flat on your face for the rest of the season. Expectations in the post-Tuttle Era have changed drastically for UNI in the past 48 hours.

For the team I know they are exactly the same, win games and make the tourney again, but I think all of us are guilty of setting our "realistic" expectations just a bit lower until we knew what we had. The Colorado St game grounded us a bit but the SFA and UNC games have shown us that Ben Jacobson knows what he's doing and we should continue to put complete trust in his hands. With Klint Carlson now back into the mix I'm starting to get very excited for the remainder of the non-con.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 24th, 2015, 9:43 am

Khan4Cats wrote:

Hoping it the same kind of building block that the SFA game was last year. I feel like that game was what propelled us to where we ended up. Hopefully this game gives the boys confidence and they just run with it.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball