WSU Loses A Couple Of Players

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aargh » November 24th, 2015, 11:43 pm

VanVleet - hamstring. Originally injured in practice Oct. 29. Tweaked every time he hit the court from that point on, including the scrimmage. He tried to play through it. Now he's out until at least Dec. 5. If he tries to be a hero and come back when it's something he thinks he can play through, that's likely to prolong his bench time. Hamstrings tend to either completely heal or get worse if they're stressed.

Landry Shamet has a stress fracture in his foot. Same injury Baker had as a Fr. Surgery scheduled. 6 - 8 weeks before he is back on his feet. Possible medical red shirt not yet decided.

Shox are down to 2 scholarship back court players and will be using a walkon in the early rotation in the Thanksgiving tournament.

Zach Brown (6'6") is working out at SG. Interesting lineup p0ossibility
PG - Baker - 6'4"
SG - Brown - 6'6"
SF - McDuffie (first sub for Wessel) - 6'8"
PF - Kelly - 6'8"
C - Grady - 6'8"
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: WSU Loses A Couple Of Players

Postby glm38 » November 25th, 2015, 5:32 am

When is Frankamp available? He should be a big help?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » November 25th, 2015, 5:37 am

That's tough, but thanks for the update. Given these injuries, how do the Shox match up against USC? I know the Trojans have a solid team but haven't followed them closely this year.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby LanceShock » November 25th, 2015, 6:08 am

glm38 wrote:When is Frankamp available? He should be a big help?

Final exams do not end until December 11, making the December 12 game vs Utah the first where Frankamp will be eligible to play.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » November 25th, 2015, 6:13 am

glm38 wrote:When is Frankamp available? He should be a big help?

Frankamp will be available against Utah. I believe that game is December 12. Yes, he will help tremendously. In addition to being a legendary shooter, he values the basketball with very few turnovers. He's athletic (not a huge athlete but certainly D-I level), but not a good defender. He's been running the point since last year, but it's unclear still if he will primarily be a 1 or a 2. If Fred remains out, he will almost certainly start. If Evan and Zach continue to be below mediocre, he might start at the 2 with Baker playing the 3.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 25th, 2015, 6:17 am

WSpringsBird wrote:That's tough, but thanks for the update. Given these injuries, how do the Shox match up against USC? I know the Trojans have a solid team but haven't followed them closely this year.

Size wise, the Shockers will be fine with the possible exception of the post (which is the same regardless of injury). The Trojans are an athletic, high paced team. I think that works against us without outer pace setter in VanVleet. The Shockers have not looked particularly good yet, and if the trend continues a loss is probable. If we play up to our pre-season potential, even without Fred, Landry, and Conner, we should win. Will be a tough match-up. Look for a positive/negative over reaction by Shocker fans depending on the outcome.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » November 25th, 2015, 7:12 am

Wufan wrote:
WSpringsBird wrote:That's tough, but thanks for the update. Given these injuries, how do the Shox match up against USC? I know the Trojans have a solid team but haven't followed them closely this year.

Size wise, the Shockers will be fine with the possible exception of the post (which is the same regardless of injury). The Trojans are an athletic, high paced team. I think that works against us without outer pace setter in VanVleet. The Shockers have not looked particularly good yet, and if the trend continues a loss is probable. If we play up to our pre-season potential, even without Fred, Landry, and Conner, we should win. Will be a tough match-up. Look for a positive/negative over reaction by Shocker fans depending on the outcome.

Thanks, Wufan. Fingers crossed.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » November 26th, 2015, 6:06 am

I'm looking forward to seeing Frankamp play. So much hype and controversy (among WSU fans on their board) surrounding his ability. It will just be really interesting to see what he can do and how he will fit into WSU's system.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » November 26th, 2015, 3:36 pm

ISUr had two starters out for about a month last year & it was rough but it forces your other players to step up their game.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » November 27th, 2015, 12:14 pm

WSU not looking very good against AL. Really miss VanFleet.
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball