SIU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU

Postby Drakey » November 30th, 2015, 2:39 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it important to have a good Conference RPI in the non-conference part of the season? My thoughts being, if everybody has a higher RPI from playing/beating higher RPI teams then once conference season begins it will be RPI #50 vs RPI #61 (example) instead of RPI #200 vs RPI #255? Hard to move up RPI when you are only beating 200 level RPI teams....

Maybe I am way off here as I am definitely not an RPI expert, but just my thoughts.

It is essentially impossible for the conference rpi to improve once conference play starts unless you have multiple teams winning a lot of post season games. I think the Valley jumped up a spot or two last post-season.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » November 30th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Drakey wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it important to have a good Conference RPI in the non-conference part of the season? My thoughts being, if everybody has a higher RPI from playing/beating higher RPI teams then once conference season begins it will be RPI #50 vs RPI #61 (example) instead of RPI #200 vs RPI #255? Hard to move up RPI when you are only beating 200 level RPI teams....

Maybe I am way off here as I am definitely not an RPI expert, but just my thoughts.

It is essentially impossible for the conference rpi to improve once conference play starts unless you have multiple teams winning a lot of post season games. I think the Valley jumped up a spot or two last post-season.

Then we have some work to do, otherwise we won't have too many teams even in the postseason (at least the postseason tournaments anybody cares about).

Current RPI in Conference per ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... groupId/18
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 30th, 2015, 3:02 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:
Championz wrote:
Drakey wrote:We're luck that SIU is winning or we would be looking at the lowest conference RPI in history. The Valley is currently 15th, which is lower than any finish I can remember. Without SIU we would probably be at #20. I was counting on WSU to keep the Valley RPI up until some programs could improve. I think most programs are moving in the right direction, so it is unfortunate that WSU has dropped to #255.

Yah we weren't counting on losing 1/3 of our team to start the year.

Seeing how it's still November, it's a little early to be looking at RPI numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it important to have a good Conference RPI in the non-conference part of the season? My thoughts being, if everybody has a higher RPI from playing/beating higher RPI teams then once conference season begins it will be RPI #50 vs RPI #61 (example) instead of RPI #200 vs RPI #255? Hard to move up RPI when you are only beating 200 level RPI teams....

You are both correct. We need as many teams with good non-conference winning percentages as possible AND it is still early for RPI to really be looked at closely.

SIU winning their games, even against relatively poor competition, will give them a better RPI than WSU losing games to good competition. If both were close to .500, then the better competition would push WSU's RPI higher than SIU's.

One of the reasons the "Power 5" conferences get high RPI's is because they schedule a bunch of cupcakes at home and get gaudy non-conference winning percentages even for their lower teams. Once in conference they are then beating other teams with positive winning percentages.

The worst thing for the conference is for a team to lose a bunch of non-conference games, getting a low RPI, and then start to win come conference time. This is where the term "Evansville'd" came from. Right now I think WSU and Illinois State have the potential to end up in this boat if they don't get things straightened out in December. We expected Bradley and Missouri State to struggle and we expect that will continue once conference play starts, so their records are not a surprise. SIU has been a pleasant surprise, the jury is out on Indiana State, Loyola, and Drake.

Still time to get wins, but the conference as a whole is under .500 right now which is dragging everything down. Drakey is right, there is almost no movement once conference play begins.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 30th, 2015, 3:08 pm

WSU is going to Evansville the s*** out of the league. In a year when Evansville may actually compete for the league title.

The irony.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Cdizzle wrote:WSU is going to Evansville the s*** out of the league. In a year when Evansville may actually compete for the league title.

The irony.

It looks likely that WSU will be a drag on the conference RPI.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » November 30th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Cdizzle wrote:WSU is going to Evansville the s*** out of the league. In a year when Evansville may actually compete for the league title.

The irony.

Instant classic! :Cheers:
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby heartless » December 1st, 2015, 1:07 pm

Wufan wrote:

The irony.

It looks likely that WSU will be a drag on the conference RPI.

If WSU is a drag... MSU is the Anchor
heartless
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Dawgbit » December 1st, 2015, 5:35 pm

Speaking of MSU, was player retention a problem for Barry at MSU? It sure as h has bitten him in the butt at SIU.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball