One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby ptownbraves » November 30th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Maybe if other schools had fans willing to do the same and put that kind of money into the program we might see more than one school per decade east of the Mississippi make the tournament.

Bradley has spent a LOT of money on men's basketball the past 10 years between facilities and salaries. IIRC, Geno Ford was making more than Jacobson a couple years ago. Just goes to show that spending money doesn't always equate to success.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mule » November 30th, 2016, 10:34 pm

uniftw wrote: In the last 7 years we've donated enough to take our coach from 250K per year to a contract that will pay him $1,000,000 per year. That is all 100% privately funded by UNI fans and donors.

I take it by the inclusive we that you are one of those donors.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Khan4Cats » December 1st, 2016, 8:08 am

ptownbraves wrote:
Maybe if other schools had fans willing to do the same and put that kind of money into the program we might see more than one school per decade east of the Mississippi make the tournament.

Bradley has spent a LOT of money on men's basketball the past 10 years between facilities and salaries. IIRC, Geno Ford was making more than Jacobson a couple years ago. Just goes to show that spending money doesn't always equate to success.

Bradley is one of the schools that could reach WSU-level success with the right hire because of their fundamental support/mentality. Basketball is the thing there. At UNI, we still have football and wrestling that take focus as well as an overall community/state view that we are the "3rd" school and less than Iowa or Iowa State. Other schools in the conference seem to have similar issues to overcome or just don't seem to care as much. Sure, fans will come if you win, but there isn't that base to push that direction if you don't.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » December 1st, 2016, 9:47 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:

Bradley is one of the schools that could reach WSU-level success with the right hire because of their fundamental support/mentality. Basketball is the thing there. At UNI, we still have football and wrestling that take focus as well as an overall community/state view that we are the "3rd" school and less than Iowa or Iowa State. Other schools in the conference seem to have similar issues to overcome or just don't seem to care as much. Sure, fans will come if you win, but there isn't that base to push that direction if you don't.

Spot on.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » December 1st, 2016, 10:34 am

mule wrote:
uniftw wrote: In the last 7 years we've donated enough to take our coach from 250K per year to a contract that will pay him $1,000,000 per year. That is all 100% privately funded by UNI fans and donors.

LOL. How much can you donate from your lunch money?

Mule, let it be known that I like your style.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » December 1st, 2016, 4:28 pm

mule wrote:

If you look at the context of the rest of the post, and the post I was replying to it's pretty clear that the context is UNI fans. I am a UNI fan. I also donate to the PSC and I am part of a group that donates to specific things on campus, one includes Jacobson. So, sure, I guess you're post is accurate.

Oddly enough, if you didn't cherry pick where to cut the quote you would have seen the previous two sentences were

UNI fans did have a hand in the sustained success? Why?

Now if you put those two in front of what you cut out you'd get

UNI fans did have a hand in the sustained success? Why? In the last 7 years we've donated enough to take our coach from 250K per year to a contract that will pay him $1,000,000 per year. That is all 100% privately funded by UNI fans and donors.

That changes the context of the "we" quickly, doesn't it? I am a UNI fan. I referenced UNI fans. I am a UNI fan that donates. I am part of the group I was referring too. Thus "we" is 100% accurate and appropriate.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 1st, 2016, 4:42 pm

uniftw wrote:
mule wrote:

If you look at the context of the rest of the post, and the post I was replying to it's pretty clear that the context is UNI fans. I am a UNI fan. I also donate to the PSC and I am part of a group that donates to specific things on campus, one includes Jacobson. So, sure, I guess you're post is accurate.

Oddly enough, if you didn't cherry pick where to cut the quote you would have seen the previous two sentences were

UNI fans did have a hand in the sustained success? Why? In the last 7 years we've donated enough to take our coach from 250K per year to a contract that will pay him $1,000,000 per year. That is all 100% privately funded by UNI fans and donors.

That changes the context of the "we" quickly, doesn't it? I am a UNI fan. I referenced UNI fans. I am a UNI fan that donates. I am part of the group I was referring too. Thus "we" is 100% accurate and appropriate.

But, but, but, you're all meanies.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » December 1st, 2016, 6:11 pm

uniftw wrote:
mule wrote:

No need to go all english prof on me. Just wanted to know if you were part of the monetary stream.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Khan4Cats » December 2nd, 2016, 8:25 am

mule wrote:
uniftw wrote:
mule wrote:I take it by the inclusive we that you are one of those donors.

No need to go all english prof on me. Just wanted to know if you were part of the monetary stream.

Sometimes you literally have to go all literacy police on people.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » December 12th, 2016, 9:00 am

Not harping on this, but the trouble for the unlikely at large MVC candidates is that the league RPI is going to pull you down even if you win. Last year WSU was literally one of the last teams in and UNI needed the at large. Don't see much scenario for an at large this season even unless someone goes like 16-2 in MVC play and then makes the final in St loo.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball