One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby mvcfan31 » January 17th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Seth Davis just tweeted out his top 25 and UE is just outside of it from what he says. Of course that doesn't mean to much now, but at least it's some food for thought.
mvcfan31
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Championz » January 17th, 2016, 8:03 pm

But he does have WSU at #21. That's nice to see.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » January 17th, 2016, 9:20 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/1/8/10730810/bracketology-bubble-mid-majors-2016-monmouth-st-marys-wichita-state

Found this today- although it is a week old and VERY dated as it lists SIU and UNI as Top 100 teams. Plus it was pre Loyola @ UNI head scratcher.

But pretty much what I figured... Wichita St has the best shot of the committee excuses away their losses and they go at least 15-3. But with only one Top 100 win left @UE, the only sure way to make it is Arch Madness.

UNI has lost an at-large shot and UE appears nowhere in the discussion.

Such a shame. But with scheduling non-conference cupcakes, the Aces insured that #50 can lead them into the NIT again.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bigdawg » February 22nd, 2016, 10:10 am

According to Jerry Palm the Shox need to win Arch Madness to get a bid. I think he's wrong at this point but he said it last night.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 22nd, 2016, 10:55 am

bigdawg wrote:According to Jerry Palm the Shox need to win Arch Madness to get a bid. I think he's wrong at this point but he said it last night.

Palm has been pushing that, but it just not realistic.

WSU is currently sitting at
RPI: 44
KenPom: 10 (#1 Defense)
Sagarin: 21
BPI: 22
KPI: 38
NPI (Warran Nolan): 14

If WSU wins out but loses in the final of the MVCs, they will have ~30-35 RPI, Top 10-15 KenPom (most likely), and all the other rankings should improve also. They will NOT be left out with those rankings. No team with a top 20 KenPom has EVER missed the tournament. I very much doubt a Top 10 one will. Even with a loss in the Semi's the RPI would be Mid 30's.

If WSU loses either of the last 2 games in the regular season, they have to win the Tournament. As of right now, they are in though.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 22nd, 2016, 11:10 am

Bracketology is a subjective exercise. Many opinions can be formed and many are valid. It is extremely difficult to be wrong about bracketology in February.

Jerry Palm is wrong.

Of course on the other hand, Lunardi is wrong too, on the other end. I don't see how you can push Wichita to the 7 line.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby ACECARD » February 22nd, 2016, 11:14 am

From what I have seen of the Shockers the last three games, nobody is going to beat them until they get to the NCAA's.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 22nd, 2016, 11:16 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:Bracketology is a subjective exercise. Many opinions can be formed and many are valid. It is extremely difficult to be wrong about bracketology in February.

Jerry Palm is wrong.

Of course on the other hand, Lunardi is wrong too, on the other end. I don't see how you can push Wichita to the 7 line.

Agreed .. right now a 7 seed is high (though teams around WSU are helping them out by not winning). WSU is an 8 - 10 seed at the moment. If they win out but lose in the Finals, that's probably where they land. If WSU wins out, they are a 6-8 seed. Other teams in that range WILL lose games, and possibly multiple games.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » February 22nd, 2016, 11:35 am

I think a seven seed is fair and maybe even generous. When you look at the resume there just isn't a whole lot there and I say that not as a troll but just looking at the resume. Not sure what they have done or who they have beaten to warrant a higher seed. That's as much an indictment of the valley as anything which probably bites Wichita State more this year than it has in the past.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » February 22nd, 2016, 11:42 am

SI has Wichita State as an 11 seed in the east playing Indiana again with the winner to face Dana Altman's Ducks,.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball