One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby mvfcfan » November 13th, 2019, 10:49 am

I see you're taking more shots at me. Cool.

No one thought Evansville would win. I know it doesn't count, but they almost lost to a D2 school. Then they nearly blew their huge lead against Ball St. We'll see if this was just a fluke or if Evansville is actually for real. Hopefully they are for real.

I want the league to do well as a whole, but the system is rigged to keep mid majors out of the NCAA tournament. If Evansville won 25 games this year, but had 2 or 3 bad losses I bet they'd still find a way to keep them out.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Countrypanther » November 13th, 2019, 1:24 pm

chances of an at large bid are very minimal for the MVC even with the big win by Evansville. Too many weak nonconference opponents and no top 100 teams in the early rankings. definitely biased by the NCAA for P5 schools.
Countrypanther
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » November 13th, 2019, 3:23 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I see you're taking more shots at me. Cool.

No one thought Evansville would win. I know it doesn't count, but they almost lost to a D2 school. Then they nearly blew their huge lead against Ball St. We'll see if this was just a fluke or if Evansville is actually for real. Hopefully they are for real.

I want the league to do well as a whole, but the system is rigged to keep mid majors out of the NCAA tournament. If Evansville won 25 games this year, but had 2 or 3 bad losses I bet they'd still find a way to keep them out.

I think I would have to agree with this.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » November 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm

The question isn't "Will they?" The question is whether they're "capable." I think they're plenty capable.

If the system is rigged to keep mid majors out of the NCAA Tournament then explain Belmont getting an at large bid last year with 5 losses.

Just giving you a hard time because as I see it, you've taken shots at the league several times, said ISU Blue should leave to join the OVC, invented an MVC/OVC hybrid poll, and generally thrown cold water on Valley basketball.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 13th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Good night for UNI as St Joseph's goes into Storrs and beats UCONN. What does that have to do with UNI? Well St Joe's lost to ODU who UNI beat so that win now carries a bit more weight.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 13th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Mikovio wrote:

The question isn't "Will they?" The question is whether they're "capable." I think they're plenty capable.

If the system is rigged to keep mid majors out of the NCAA Tournament then explain Belmont getting an at large bid last year with 5 losses.

IDK, Rick Byrd Lifetime Achievement Award?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » November 14th, 2019, 8:24 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Good night for UNI as St Joseph's goes into Storrs and beats UCONN. What does that have to do with UNI? Well St Joe's lost to ODU who UNI beat so that win now carries a bit more weight.

It also makes Bradley's loss at their place on opening night not look as bad. Just glad that coach got in Elijah child's ear after that opening game to play like an all conference player on Saturday.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BigMacAttack » November 14th, 2019, 8:44 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Good night for UNI as St Joseph's goes into Storrs and beats UCONN. What does that have to do with UNI? Well St Joe's lost to ODU who UNI beat so that win now carries a bit more weight.

REALLY? If UE beating UK on their own court gets no traction from Pomeroy, how do you think a third hand connection carries more weight?
"Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read."- Frank Zappa.
BigMacAttack
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » November 14th, 2019, 9:53 am

BigMacAttack wrote:

REALLY? If UE beating UK on their own court gets no traction from Pomeroy, how do you think a third hand connection carries more weight?

It takes time for these results to be weighted correctly. He's still heavily weighting 2019 results and preseason guesses. This is slowly reduced until mid-December. It simply has to take that long before there is enough connectivity across teams from many games played. He has some articles explaining how it works on his site. IMO, Pomeroy is one of the good guys. He's not out to get anyone or prop any teams up.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » November 14th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Belmont got in because they only had 1 bad loss all year. Their losses to JSU (twice), Murray St (OVC tournament), and Purdue were all close and all of those teams were perceived as being pretty good. They also had around 6 wins that were viewed as good wins. Personally I think it came down to UNCG, Furman, and Belmont just to throw mid-majors a bone and they chose Belmont.

I will point out that only 4 mid-majors received at large bids last season. Only 3 mid majors received at large bids the previous 2 seasons (each year). They don't want us in it. Thankfully we at least get in because of our automatic bid.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball