One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 24th, 2016, 8:49 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Red wrote:Honest question- I've seen and heard many pundits say that WSU shouldn't be downgraded because of losses that occurred when FVV was out. I'm okay with that notion. But then shouldn't the opponent be downgraded because they won against an undermanned team? Alabama essentially gets credit for beating a full strength Shox team even though it wasn't. Using this fuzzy math, playing a game against a team with an injured player actually helps both teams and hurts neither.

I've noticed that and I agree. I've seen bubble watches that mentioned Tulsa, USC and Alabama all with "quality wins" over WSU, then you get to the WSU section, and it mentions that they will take into account FVV (and others) being out for those games.

So then in the end all of those teams benefit from FVV being out. That is crazy.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby acesfool » February 24th, 2016, 9:33 am

The BPI is suppose to take these things into account.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » February 24th, 2016, 10:31 am

I believe the committee has said they'll use the BPI as one of the tools, that has to be good for WSU.

Also I've heard of the eye test for years used against Valley teams. I challenge anyone to say WSU doesn't pass the eye test....and with flying colors.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 24th, 2016, 10:51 am

2livewu wrote:Also I've heard of the eye test for years used against Valley teams. I challenge anyone to say WSU doesn't pass the eye test....and with flying colors.

Marshall has been pretty open this season about doing what they need to do to "prove they belong in the tournament." AKA beat the heck out of everyone they play the rest of the year. It's not a coincidence they've won 3 games in a row by 30+ points (after the UNI loss). He has his guys trying to make a statement.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » February 24th, 2016, 11:05 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
2livewu wrote:Also I've heard of the eye test for years used against Valley teams. I challenge anyone to say WSU doesn't pass the eye test....and with flying colors.

Marshall has been pretty open this season about doing what they need to do to "prove they belong in the tournament." AKA beat the heck out of everyone they play the rest of the year. It's not a coincidence they've won 3 games in a row by 30+ points (after the UNI loss). He has his guys trying to make a statement.

In years past Marshall has been pretty gracious about not running up scores. Can't blame him for that this year when shox are fighting for an at large bid.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » February 24th, 2016, 11:06 am

Unless something crazy happens like multiple losses WSU will make the tournament but if you think they got screwed with seeding in past years I bet this one will be worse.

As much as we want to predict what the committee will do, the reality for WSU is that when they are compared against other at large teams the Shockers won't have a strong resume because of the BCS losses when VanVleet was hurt and because of the league. That's just a fact. And unfortunately they can't get any meaningful wins at this point to change it.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 24th, 2016, 11:14 am

glm38 wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

In years past Marshall has been pretty gracious about not running up scores. Can't blame him for that this year when shox are fighting for an at large bid.

That, and the conference really sucks so blowouts are easier to come by.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » February 24th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Eh, the running up scores thing doesn't hold water when you look at the distribution of playing time in those games:

vs. Indiana State
-FVV 28 minutes, Baker 23 minutes, walk-on J.R. Simon 8 minutes

vs. MSU
-FVV 24 minutes, Baker 29 minutes

vs. NMSU
-FVV 28 minutes, Baker 29 minutes

We haven't played either All-American thirty minutes in any of those contests, and guys like Bush Wamukota, Rauno Nurger, Eric Hamilton, and walk-ons J.R. Simon and Zach Bush have all seen greater than usual court time.

This isn't Spurrier-at-UF-in-the-90s style coaching. The deep reserves have simply been able to maintain the lead that the front line has built (unlike early this season and most past seasons).

Look at Evansville's minutes in the OOC games against half the SWAC if you want to see running up the score.

EDIT: Ballentine is averaging 37.0 mpg this year? Holy smokes, I knew it was up there but wow. Talk about leg conditioning.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » February 24th, 2016, 9:50 pm

FWLIW Warren Nolan's RPI now has ISUr as RPI 103. Playing Wichita will probably give the a slight bump - even with a loss. An extra Top 100 win would do wonders for WSU's profile, as well as UE's. I think WSU has done enough to warrant a 7-8 seed as the designation of the team nobody wants to play in Round 2 of the Big Dance.

As far as the NIT - with UNI's losses to Loyola, I just don't see them as getting a shot, even with the big wins early in the year.

I can see Saturday afternoon in STL of an ISUr/UE matchup with the winner getting an NIT berth (provided they lose to WSU on Sunday.) The loser might get one as well, but there is a lot of basketball between now and then.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby acesfool » February 27th, 2016, 3:00 am

I could see WSU getting an 8 or 9 seed in the same region where Kansas is the 1 seed.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball