Is UNI really in danger of a Thursday night spot?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby hot nuts » January 17th, 2016, 8:54 pm

I know the panthers are off to a slow start, but does anyone really think they are in serious danger of finishing in the bottom 4? They have a tough run in the next 5 games with the exception of the Bradley game, a critical time for them to avoid having to deal with this question!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is UNI really in danger of a Thursday night spot?

Postby Wufan » January 17th, 2016, 9:12 pm

UNI has greatly disappointed in conference play. I do not believe they will play on Thursday.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 17th, 2016, 9:27 pm

They still have 4 games left with Evansville & Wichita and six road games remaining overall. They could easily be at 10 losses in conference this season if things don't turn around quickly...

8-10 = borderline 7 seed imo
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby outpost » January 17th, 2016, 9:29 pm

No, Panthers are better than that.

Bradley, Drake for virtual certainties. Loyola still looks likely, and I think MoSt will wear down as the season progresses.
outpost
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » January 17th, 2016, 9:44 pm

outpost wrote:No, Panthers are better than that.

Bradley, Drake for virtual certainties. Loyola still looks likely, and I think MoSt will wear down as the season progresses.

Yes. As soon as "Lusk's guys" get healthy, he can reinsert them into the lineup and they will be back on their path to Thirsday.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » January 17th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Technically they are in danger of playing thursday but I'd be shocked if that actually happened
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 17th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Well so far, they're 2-2 against supposed Thursday night locks. They're 0-2 against everyone else.

On Saturday, they looked like a Summit team. Seriously.

I would like to know some UNI fans' opinions on this, if they're still around.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 18th, 2016, 9:04 am

Still here.

We overachieved like crazy in the non-con and that really covered up the holes that we have. Spending the entire month of December on the road was also a killer. We needed some home/road balance and just weren't able to do it. Jake has said he's never going back to Diamond Head because of the timing and the fact he was assured that he wouldn't have to play the late game in the first round.

We're stagnant on offense because the only way Washpun can be effective is to dominate the ball. Everybody has finally learned to go underneath the ball screen and force him to shoot jump shots and he's been pretty bad since league play started.

Morgan isn't aggressive enough offensively and tends to defer. Jesperson, outside of the Iowa State game, has been pretty disappointing offensively as he doesn't seem to be able to put the ball on the floor at all. Boahannon is a great shooter, but can't get his own. Our bigs are young and just not aggressive enough yet. Defensively, its still UNI defense, we just can't score.

In the end, we'll be a 9-9 type team and avoid Thursday and there should be some fire Wednesday night with Wichita here. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we played really well and won. Chances are good we Evansville the top 2 at least once.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » January 18th, 2016, 10:23 am

BCPanther wrote:Still here.

We overachieved like crazy in the non-con and that really covered up the holes that we have. Spending the entire month of December on the road was also a killer. We needed some home/road balance and just weren't able to do it. Jake has said he's never going back to Diamond Head because of the timing and the fact he was assured that he wouldn't have to play the late game in the first round.

We're stagnant on offense because the only way Washpun can be effective is to dominate the ball. Everybody has finally learned to go underneath the ball screen and force him to shoot jump shots and he's been pretty bad since league play started.

Morgan isn't aggressive enough offensively and tends to defer. Jesperson, outside of the Iowa State game, has been pretty disappointing offensively as he doesn't seem to be able to put the ball on the floor at all. Boahannon is a great shooter, but can't get his own. Our bigs are young and just not aggressive enough yet. Defensively, its still UNI defense, we just can't score.

In the end, we'll be a 9-9 type team and avoid Thursday and there should be some fire Wednesday night with Wichita here. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we played really well and won. Chances are good we Evansville the top 2 at least once.

So you are saying that UNI is going to Evansville ... Evansville ... What has the world come to??
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 18th, 2016, 11:23 am

BCPanther wrote:Still here.

Glad UNI will be able to get up for WSU. From what I saw they didn't really even show up to play Loyola. Maybe they were in the practice facility game-planning for the WSU game.

In the last 3 years, WSU has an average MoV in league play of 15.7 points. Wonder what that would be if they weren't getting super-bowled every game. This is a 42-game sample size, mind you.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball