Wichita BU game thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita BU game thread

Postby Cdizzle » January 25th, 2016, 12:06 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:It's shocking to me the number of people around here that still don't get it.

Interested to see where Bradley goes from here. Tough to tell if there are some pieces in there or not, but I think Wardle did the right thing in just blowing it all up and starting over. JuCo guards would probably be a good idea.

I think he understands that every team needs to improve to make the conference better (scheduling, record, RPI, etc.), but what he is saying is he could give a rats a** about WSU RPI going down right now as Bradley has much bigger fish to fry internally. He isn't giving WSU pity over there RPI drop at all...nobody outside of WSU fans care that your RPI dropped even though we all understand the underlying premise of the issue.

Your problems are equivalent to a billionaire losing $1K in the stock market. Boo hoo.
His problems are equivalent to a homeless man losing all of his change and not having any money for food to survive. His problems are much bigger.

I'm not talking about the Bradley fans.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 25th, 2016, 12:21 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:It's shocking to me the number of people around here that still don't get it.

Interested to see where Bradley goes from here. Tough to tell if there are some pieces in there or not, but I think Wardle did the right thing in just blowing it all up and starting over. JuCo guards would probably be a good idea.

I think he understands that every team needs to improve to make the conference better (scheduling, record, RPI, etc.), but what he is saying is he could give a rats a** about WSU RPI going down right now as Bradley has much bigger fish to fry internally. He isn't giving WSU pity over there RPI drop at all...nobody outside of WSU fans care that your RPI dropped even though we all understand the underlying premise of the issue.

Your problems are equivalent to a billionaire losing $1K in the stock market. Boo hoo.
His problems are equivalent to a homeless man losing all of his change and not having any money for food to survive. His problems are much bigger.

Pretty much hit the nail right on the head.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 25th, 2016, 12:27 pm

COUTEAU wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:
Right, and that's completely true. It would obviously be a benefactor of if we were better. I'm just saying that I couldn't really care less about whatever happens to Wichita's RPI after their second unit just beat us by 34 points.

Don't you know by now that the concerns of the school's team you cheer for means nothing?
If that team's loss, record, schedule, players, coach, administration, students, or fan base doesn't help Wichita State, it doesn't matter.

I get your point. It's why I won't give one ounce of pity when Evansville's name pops up on the NIT Selection Show with a 25-5 record.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 25th, 2016, 12:29 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:

You're right. It's WSU's fault the league sucks. At least Bradley has an excuse.

It's also the reason why WSU is exploring ways to get the **** out.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 25th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Championz wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:

You're right. It's WSU's fault the league sucks. At least Bradley has an excuse.

It's also the reason why WSU is exploring ways to get the **** out.

Not what I was saying.

Also be careful of what you wish for, see Creighton.
I think Gonzaga enjoys beating up their conference and getting in guaranteed every year.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 25th, 2016, 12:58 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:Not what I was saying.

I think Gonzaga enjoys beating up their conference and getting in guaranteed every year.

I'm not advocating WSU leaving the league, but Creighton's 'national-level' success was pretty non-existent, and what was there was quite a bit of smoke and mirrors. The program was not built to be successful in another league, because it was built to compete with league peers, not to compete for national relevance and tournament runs. As an example of my point, consider if Creighton was still in the Valley. They would be finishing in the upper half, but they wouldn't be beating up the conference and getting in guaranteed every year as your Gonzaga example suggests.

A LOT of people saw their current post-Dougie situation coming.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » January 25th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

I'm not advocating WSU leaving the league, but Creighton's 'national-level' success was pretty non-existent, and what was there was quite a bit of smoke and mirrors. The program was not built to be successful in another league, because it was built to compete with league peers, not to compete for national relevance and tournament runs. As an example of my point, consider if Creighton was still in the Valley. They would be finishing in the upper half, but they wouldn't be beating up the conference and getting in guaranteed every year as your Gonzaga example suggests.

And Creighton has NEVER been relevant on a national post-season level. They have never won two games in a row in the NCAA Tourney. NEVER

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... team1/5734
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 25th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

Makes sense to me. I agree with you.
As long as your recruiting is on par with P5 conferences, then you would be fine. Typically, in this league, success is cyclical, however you do have a great coach that can take your team to a P5 Conference by maintaining success in recruiting.

At the end of the day, you currently have a guarantee top 1-2 in the MVC every year with a great chance at making the NCAAs. A move to something like the Big 12 against Kansas, OU, Texas, etc. would make your task much more difficult to remain relevant...even when getting 4* recruits.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 25th, 2016, 1:18 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Makes sense to me. I agree with you.
As long as your recruiting is on par with P5 conferences, then you would be fine. Typically, in this league, success is cyclical, however you do have a great coach that can take your team to a P5 Conference by maintaining success in recruiting.

At the end of the day, you currently have a guarantee top 1-2 in the MVC every year with a great chance at making the NCAAs. A move to something like the Big 12 against Kansas, OU, Texas, etc. would make your task much more difficult to remain relevant...even when getting 4* recruits.

3 things here.

1. No way is WSU (even if they do move) moving to the Big12. There are about a million reasons why that will never happen, and that's just off the top of my head.

2. I am not concerned about the number of stars a recruit has. This is one of the ridiculously dumb things that Creighton fans still talk about. How they are just now replacing all the 'Valley' recruits they had. That, in and of itself, explains some of what is going on. They think in terms of recruiting players to compete in a league, not nationally. They think a 'Big East' recruit is better than a 'Valley' recruit because of the name on the front of the jersey. It just doesn't work that way. Good players are good, average players are average. Most of the best players Creighton has had in the past 6 years were 'Valley' recruits. And I'd take every 'Valley' recruit currently in WSU's rotation over every single 'Big East' recruit they've ever signed.

3. WSU, unlike most B12 teams, has shown that they don't pee down their leg just because they are playing KU. We saw where those teams stacked up just a few months ago, and there was a pretty clear difference, and KU has been running rough-shod over that league for more than a decade.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 25th, 2016, 2:06 pm

1. I was just picking a random conference that is P5 and within your geographic area as a reference point. No major point or consideration to the Big 12....I just picked a conference.

2. Star ratings is equivalent to the reason they rank teams right now in the top 25. It's an abitrary way to show value over others, regardless of its merit or it's apparent value right now. They are talking points and areas to boast. In the recruiting world, some 5* pan out as being what they were ranked, while others are not. Some 2* become the level of a 5* (no idea what Ron Baker was, but his development proved whatever his star ranking to be way off).

All I was trying to say is recruiting and developing the talent to regularly compete for 18 games in a conference that has mostly top end talent. You are not recruiting to Drake's level. You are recruiting to (Insert P5 Conference team here) talent.

3. Let's not get off subject here by directing the topic to Kansas. Sorry I referenced that specific team. I know WSU hates that fan base more than any others.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball