Wichita BU game thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita BU game thread

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 26th, 2016, 2:19 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Bradley needs a lot of things the Shockers currently have. No doubt.

That wasn't the point of the discussion. You seemed to be downplaying the role/influence the Koch Family has on athletics/basketball at Wichita State. I was saying they play a rather large role.

Bradley sucks right now. I'm not disputing that.

Biggest role being PAYING GREGG MARSHALL to stay. Most schools in this conference would have lost him to Alabama at this juncture.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 26th, 2016, 3:28 pm

[quote="tribecalledquest"][quote="Cdizzle"][quote="tribecalledquest"]I do understand, however, that the Koch Brothers power over everything WSU changes the dynamic some.
Yeah. So, this, like most things people are led to believe about the Koch's, is way off base.

Not from what I have heard. And I trust my source.

Chris Jans--Koch employee. Basketball program consultant. $100,000/year. Every program has someone like this right?

The poor Koch Brothers. Always misunderstood ;)

You are out of your depth, Tribe. A shutdown on this subject matter is a good idea for you.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 26th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:You are out of your depth, Tribe. A shutdown on this subject matter is a good idea for you.

No. I'm really not. But thanks.

So with a straight face you are going to try and tell me/us that the Koch Brothers and Koch Industries have zero to little influence on the WSU athletic department??

To call the relationship Chris Jans has with the WSU hoops program/Koch Industries "normal" would be a humongous stretch.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » January 26th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Yes, Charles is worth billions and the arena bears his name. There are numerous ‘heavy hitters’ in Wichita that continue to support the program believing what is good for WSU, is also good for the Air Capital. There’s mutual respect between Charles and coach Marshall. I don’t think anyone paid Charles to mention coach Marshall in his new book, “Good Profit”.

Charles Koch on the virtue lessons of Gregg Marshall

“In his new book, “Good Profit,” Koch points to Gregg Marshall, Wichita State University’s mens basketball program and its recent run of unprecedented success stemming from the values of the players the coach brings in.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/news ... gregg.html
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » January 26th, 2016, 3:52 pm

I guess I don't understand why WSU fans are so defensive as it relates to this.

So what if Koch Bros. etc play a big role in what happens at WSU? I think most fans would LOVE to have such a heavy hitter, huge money backer of their program.

It doesn't take anything away from the accomplishments there. It doesn't take anything away from Gregg Marshall and what he has done.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 26th, 2016, 5:06 pm

There is a big difference between providing seed money for academic and athletic endeavors at the university and your assertion with which some have disagreed "the Koch Brothers power over everything WSU."

No one has suggested that there is no influence. But go ahead and run with whatever story you've heard. It's not like the rest of us live here everyday.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 26th, 2016, 5:34 pm

Cdizzle wrote:There is a big difference between providing seed money for academic and athletic endeavors at the university and your assertion with which some have disagreed "the Koch Brothers power over everything WSU."

No one has suggested that there is no influence. But go ahead and run with whatever story you've heard. It's not like the rest of us live here everyday.

If Joe Blow fan writes a letter to the University President is it treated the same as if a Koch Brother wrote a letter?

If the Koch Brothers really push for football...Wichita State will have football. The MBB team is looking at a trip to China this summer. I can guarantee you that isn't something Gregg Marshall would prefer to do. But if it's something partially arranged and financed by Koch Industries then that trip will happen.

Does Phil Knight have influence at Oregon? Does T Boone Pickens have influence at OK State?

And sometimes "living there" makes people naive and not very objective when it comes to things they enjoy. Just a thought.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » January 26th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:It's shocking to me the number of people around here that still don't get it.

Interested to see where Bradley goes from here. Tough to tell if there are some pieces in there or not, but I think Wardle did the right thing in just blowing it all up and starting over. JuCo guards would probably be a good idea.

I think he understands that every team needs to improve to make the conference better (scheduling, record, RPI, etc.), but what he is saying is he could give a rats a** about WSU RPI going down right now as Bradley has much bigger fish to fry internally. He isn't giving WSU pity over there RPI drop at all...nobody outside of WSU fans care that your RPI dropped even though we all understand the underlying premise of the issue.

Your problems are equivalent to a billionaire losing $1K in the stock market. Boo hoo.
His problems are equivalent to a homeless man losing all of his change and not having any money for food to survive. His problems are much bigger.

I think everything you said is true, but it appears that no one outside of WSU (and maybe UNI, ISUr) appear to care about their own RPI as well.

What exactly was Bradley supposed to do this season to show you they care about their RPI? I guess they could have stayed the course and kept Geno and all the players on his losing teams.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Singeril » January 26th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Does Caterpilar have any influence at Bradley (or in Peoria)?
Singeril
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » January 26th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Tribe,

First of all Charles Koch lives in Wichita and is a donor to WSU academics and athletics as is Koch industries. Bill Koch has almost nothing to do with WSU other than his affiliation to Koch industries. Please do not use "Koch brothers" here. It makes you appear ignorant.

If Charles Koch wanted to buy a football program or whatever else, you are correct in that WSU would have it. The fact that he doesn't buy one is exactly why he is not like T Boone or Knight. He is only casually interested in WSU success and I believe that in most years WSU gets less than half of his total educational contributions. He literally gives hundreds of thousands of dollars to dozens of schools.

I have no idea hat you are talking about with Chris Jans, but I did hear from a very reliable source that Donte Thomas was going to bolt, but was paid $20K to stick around.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball