Wichita BU game thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita BU game thread

Postby shockem » January 27th, 2016, 11:22 am

mvcfan2 wrote:Wichita is very lucky to have the donor base AFTER hitting a home run in the hire of GM. The opposite effect can set a program back 10+ years....
There are plenty of instances of a bad coaching hire impacting a program negatively. Look at Bradley trying to overcome Geno Ford. Drake is still in the midst of it after Geno Davis. Illinois State is still trying to make a tournament after Stallings left and they made the terrible hire of Tom Richardson....etc etc.

This is exactly what set WSU back for the decade of the 90's. Fogler left and we hire his assistant Mike Cohen (fail), Scott Thompson from Rice (fail) and favorite son Randy Smithson (fail). Only two winning seasons in that span. We got really lucky with the Turgeon hire even though some of the fanbase was adamantly against having a former Jayhawk as our coach. A good coach can turn the program around in 2-3 years, or at least have it on the right trajectory. It took Turgeon 4 years to produce a 20 game winner and 6 years to get us in the NCAA. It took Marshall 3 years to get us back to 20 game winners and 5 years to the NCAA, so it's not like all this happened overnight.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » January 27th, 2016, 12:29 pm

For the record...I have no problem with anything going on at Wichita.

It's a great team, great fans, great coach, and great financial backing.

The MVC needs more teams competing like this, not less.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 27th, 2016, 12:42 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Ricardo del Rio wrote:You are out of your depth, Tribe. A shutdown on this subject matter is a good idea for you.

No. I'm really not. But thanks.

So with a straight face you are going to try and tell me/us that the Koch Brothers and Koch Industries have zero to little influence on the WSU athletic department??

To call the relationship Chris Jans has with the WSU hoops program/Koch Industries "normal" would be a humongous stretch.

You just do not know what you are talking about.

To Shocker fans, you are making an @ss of yourself.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 27th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:To Shocker fans, you are making an @ss of yourself.

Oh darn.

A totally unbiased and neutral group I know :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 27th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Singeril wrote:And has somebody else has said, WSU has multiple high powered donors. There is a lot of "old" and "new" money in town due to the various industries--including multiple aircraft companies and the Coleman Company. There is a ton of investment coming into the campus via multiple avenues due to the new "Innovation Campus" including a major investment by Airbus.

Tribe would do well to read this post.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 27th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
Singeril wrote:And has somebody else has said, WSU has multiple high powered donors. There is a lot of "old" and "new" money in town due to the various industries--including multiple aircraft companies and the Coleman Company. There is a ton of investment coming into the campus via multiple avenues due to the new "Innovation Campus" including a major investment by Airbus.

I never disputed any of this.

The Koch name plays a strong role at WSU and in the Athletic Department. I don't see why this is such a touchy subject or something to be downplayed.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2016, 12:51 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Ricardo del Rio wrote:

I never disputed any of this.

The Koch name plays a strong role at WSU and in the Athletic Department. I don't see why this is such a touchy subject or something to be downplayed.

It is being down-played because you are grossly over-playing it, and being corrected.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Singeril » January 27th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Tribe--your last post is a bit of a retreat in tone from your earlier one when you said:
"tribecalledquest wrote:
I do understand, however, that the Koch Brothers power over everything WSU changes the dynamic some."---Emphasis added

I can assure you this is not the case.

There are MANY who give to WSU and MANY with deep pockets. I'm glad your latest tone is stepped back a degree or two. And, again, don't you think CAT has a thing or two to say to Bradley? And note, again, what another has said--you need to study up on the Koch brothers. Only one is notable for giving to WSU--and they give money to several other educational institutions as well--not to mention medical and artistic venues as well.
Singeril
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 27th, 2016, 4:10 pm

Singeril wrote:Tribe--your last post is a bit of a retreat in tone from your earlier one when you said:
"tribecalledquest wrote:
I do understand, however, that the Koch Brothers power over everything WSU changes the dynamic some."---Emphasis added

I can assure you this is not the case.

There are MANY who give to WSU and MANY with deep pockets. I'm glad your latest tone is stepped back a degree or two. And, again, don't you think CAT has a thing or two to say to Bradley? And note, again, what another has said--you need to study up on the Koch brothers. Only one is notable for giving to WSU--and they give money to several other educational institutions as well--not to mention medical and artistic venues as well.

Yes. CAT does have a thing or two to say about Bradley. I've never denied this. Again, you are taking this as some sort of negative or criticism.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » January 27th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:

Tom Devlin is just one name you leave out. He has his name on the CKA floor, Baseball field, and has been the largest donor to the Business building he owned ABC Rent a Center (sold it) and currently owns and built Flint Hills National Golf Devopmdnt. He is a multi billionaire and was a major donor for Marshall's salary.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball