Sunday: Salukis at Bears & Aces at Sycs

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sunday: Salukis at Bears & Aces at Sycs

Postby valleyclimber » January 24th, 2016, 6:19 pm

UE might be coming up against it now with SIU on the road and WSU coming up soon. Marty basically playing 6 players might be starting to take some serious toll on the Aces.

Looking at the rest of the MVC schedule, I could see the Aces losing as many as 6 MVC games, and then Arch Madness games would be a nightmare stretch for a worn down UE team.

Also MSU, playing without Cam Boone most of the game today, looked pretty awful against SIU. Think the Salukis are going to have some tough going the second half of the Valley season as it's roadies against all the top half teams.

Yes, SIU is 8-0 on the road, but really who have they played? But hey, Barry Hinson has done wonders with a couple juco additions and has the Salukis playing at a good level as opposed to the past couple of seasons.
Always like Barry, and think it was a HUGE mistake for MSU to can a coach who won a TON of games while he was the Bears headman.

Anyhow, enjoying catching most of the MVC games on ESPN 3 this season. :Cheers:
valleyclimber
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » January 24th, 2016, 7:24 pm

The Bears looked terrible in this one. Especially on the defensive end. Idiotic the number of wide open threes they got.

I was really impressed with the Salukis defensive intensity. IMO they finish a solid third in the MVC this year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » January 24th, 2016, 8:05 pm

MVCfans wrote:
bleach wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Interestingly, southern Illinois leads Missouri State 45–31 at halftime.

Interestingly? Lusks zone routinely gives up 45 pt halfs.

Interesting that both games have the same halftime score. Sorry.

OK, I didn't notice that.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LanceShock » January 24th, 2016, 9:15 pm

glm38 wrote:The Bears looked terrible in this one. Especially on the defensive end. Idiotic the number of wide open threes they got.

I was really impressed with the Salukis defensive intensity. IMO they finish a solid third in the MVC this year.

You might be selling the Salukis a little short there with how Evansville is doing. Right now, I can see the Salukis finishing in 2nd place.

And if they do finish in 2nd place, Barry should be COY.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Purple Aces » January 24th, 2016, 9:31 pm

[quote="valleyclimber"]UE might be coming up against it now with SIU on the road and WSU coming up soon. Marty basically playing 6 players might be starting to take some serious toll on the Aces.

Looking at the rest of the MVC schedule, I could see the Aces losing as many as 6 MVC games, and then Arch Madness games would be a nightmare stretch for a worn down UE team. [quote]

I made this exact point about 3 weeks ago, Marty "The Mule" Simmons just never learns from his mistakes. He totally refuses to ever play his bench and year after year, by the end of the season, his team is worn out and has no legs going down the stretch. It's embarrassing to see him start and play his son 30-35 minutes every game. Brzoja should be playing the minutes that his son gets and The Mule has capable players on the bench in Benzon, Wiley and Harris Brown....... But as Aces fans, we will continue to watch Simmons be his same stubborn way and burn his team out before Arch Madness.
Purple Aces
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Wufan » January 24th, 2016, 9:53 pm

LanceShock wrote:
glm38 wrote:The Bears looked terrible in this one. Especially on the defensive end. Idiotic the number of wide open threes they got.

You might be selling the Salukis a little short there with how Evansville is doing. Right now, I can see the Salukis finishing in 2nd place.

With how Evansville is doing? They've lost two road games in conference. They're a game back of second. They are playing as expected.

It's still up in the air, but I will take the Aces in second. SIU, ISU, and ISU are a toss up for third.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » January 24th, 2016, 10:31 pm

It is still up in the air but the air is thin. I see Evansville as still holding on to second, with SIU and InSU the ones most likely to come in 3rd and 4th, very possibly tied. I'm not seeing IlSU doing better than 5th. Picking MSU for 6th at this point. Would never have thought UNI would be a play-in this year, but it seems to be the case.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby hot nuts » January 24th, 2016, 10:53 pm

I bet UNI ends up catching someone for 6th.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 24th, 2016, 11:48 pm

valleyclimber wrote:UE might be coming up against it now with SIU on the road and WSU coming up soon. Marty basically playing 6 players might be starting to take some serious toll on the Aces.

Looking at the rest of the MVC schedule, I could see the Aces losing as many as 6 MVC games, and then Arch Madness games would be a nightmare stretch for a worn down UE team.

Also MSU, playing without Cam Boone most of the game today, looked pretty awful against SIU. Think the Salukis are going to have some tough going the second half of the Valley season as it's roadies against all the top half teams.

Yes, SIU is 8-0 on the road, but really who have they played? But hey, Barry Hinson has done wonders with a couple juco additions and has the Salukis playing at a good level as opposed to the past couple of seasons.
Always like Barry, and think it was a HUGE mistake for MSU to can a coach who won a TON of games while he was the Bears headman.

Anyhow, enjoying catching most of the MVC games on ESPN 3 this season. :Cheers:

Can you please give us your predictions on WSU post-FVV and Baker? I'm really curious to hear about them.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 25th, 2016, 10:21 am

LanceShock wrote:

And if they do finish in 2nd place, Barry should be COY.

I agree with Lance, although the Ugly Dogs have some challenging road games remaining - WSU, UE, ISB, ISR.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball