Best Players at Each Position

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby 2livewu » January 27th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Among the 10 Valley teams, who are the best and 2nd best players at each of the 5 generally accepted basketball positions.

For instance:

5 - True center. Giddy has to be everyone's #1. He's certainly mine. Runner up Bola Olaniyan. Could make an argument for Shaq or Koch. Both getting better fast.

4 - Not a lot to choose from here. Mostly big and small 3s. I'll go with Montel James at Loyola and stretch the truth a bit and say Adam Wing at Evansville. He's been really good so far. McIntosh is coming on fast.

3 - This is a tough one too. As a WSU fan I'm going to value defense, but still I'm not sure the best 2 threes are Zach Brown and Markis McDuffie. Those 2 are playing great right now. Sean O'Brien is right there.

2 - Can't be much of an argument over Ron Baker being the best 2. I'd go with Brown from Indiana State as my 2nd pick. Lots to choose from here.

1- Again, can't see anyone other than Fred. Tons of options for 2nd, but I'm going with Brenton Scott. Washpun has been too down in the conference.

Other thoughts and perspectives so far?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Best Players at Each Position

Postby tribecalledquest » January 27th, 2016, 4:12 pm

2livewu wrote:Among the 10 Valley teams, who are the best and 2nd best players at each of the 5 generally accepted basketball positions.

For instance:

5 - True center. Giddy has to be everyone's #1. He's certainly mine. Runner up Bola Olaniyan. Could make an argument for Shaq or Koch. Both getting better fast.

4 - Not a lot to choose from here. Mostly big and small 3s. I'll go with Montel James at Loyola and stretch the truth a bit and say Adam Wing at Evansville. He's been really good so far. McIntosh is coming on fast.

3 - This is a tough one too. As a WSU fan I'm going to value defense, but still I'm not sure the best 2 threes are Zach Brown and Markis McDuffie. Those 2 are playing great right now. Sean O'Brien is right there.

2 - Can't be much of an argument over Ron Baker being the best 2. I'd go with Brown from Indiana State as my 2nd pick. Lots to choose from here.

1- Again, can't see anyone other than Fred. Tons of options for 2nd, but I'm going with Brenton Scott. Washpun has been too down in the conference.

Can I put Balentine at the two and Baker at the three? Akoon Purcell is pretty good.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 27th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Center -
#1 - Giddy
#2 -Camyn Boone

Power Forward -
#1 - Montel James
#2 - Mikyle McIntosh

Small Forward -
#1 - Ron Baker
#2 - Devaughn Akoon-Purcell

Shooting Guard -
#1 DJ Balentine
#2 Anthony Beane
#3 Devonte Brown (sorry had to do 3)

Point Guard -
#1 Fred Van Vleet
#2 Brenton Scott
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 27th, 2016, 4:53 pm

5: E-Mock, Bola

4: Obediah Church, Luuk Van Bree (sorry, had to do it, but Sean O'Brien is number "three")

3: Akoon-Purcell, McDuffie

2: Baker, Balentine

1: Fred, Paris Lee

I may have different positional viewings than most. I don't see many true PGs in the valley and consider guys like Scott a SG, thats just me though. I'm also basing this a little off of potential because i think Church and McDuffie could be stars down the road.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 27th, 2016, 5:27 pm

I know the Bears aren't very good and I'm a a homer but IMO our freshman center is as good as any center in the Valley (except Mock obviously) when you consider both offense and defense. His offensive stats are almost as good as Bolas but he is far superior as a shot blocker/rim protector.

Center Mock then Church
PF ?? James then McIntosh
SF McDuffie then Obrien or Brown
SG Baker then Beane
PG VanVleet then Scott
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 27th, 2016, 8:48 pm

The really tough thing about this is that the SG position is over-loaded with talent. That talent also plays some PG and some SF.

First Team trying to use the rules set forth by the OP:

Fred VanVleet
Ron Baker
Jeremy Morgan
McKyle McIntosh
EMock

Second Team:

Brenton Scott
DJ Balentine
Markis McDuffie
Obediah Church
Shaq Morris (homer pick...Boone is probably better)
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2016, 11:30 pm

Jeremy Morgan can't hold McDuffie's jock strap.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 28th, 2016, 10:53 am

Cdizzle wrote:Jeremy Morgan can't hold McDuffie's jock strap.

I was impressed with McDuffie for sure, but in what ways do you think Jeremy "can't hold his jock"?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 28th, 2016, 10:56 am

2livewu wrote:Among the 10 Valley teams, who are the best and 2nd best players at each of the 5 generally accepted basketball positions.

For instance:

Washpun has been down scoring wise in conference for sure. However, he is still at the top of the conference in Assists and Assist/TO ratio in conference games only. Only trailing Van Vleet in assists and VV and Baker in A/TO ratio.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 28th, 2016, 11:09 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Jeremy Morgan can't hold McDuffie's jock strap.

I was impressed with McDuffie for sure, but in what ways do you think Jeremy "can't hold his jock"?

Seeing both play multiple games.

Seeing both on floor at same time.

Knowing one is still 2 years younger than the other.

It's not a pretty comparison.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball