UE vs WSU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UE vs WSU

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » January 31st, 2016, 10:17 pm

I found some irony in the fact that the women's soccer team was honored at halftime on the same day that the Aces NCAA at-large chances were completely squashed.

It was well known that the Lady Aces soccer team knew this was their best shot at the NCAAs and scheduled aggressively in the non-conference. Even though their at-large chances faded with several losses, their tough scheduled prepared them to run through the MVC tourney and into the NCAAs.

I wish the men's basketball team would have had the same 'all-in' mentality when making this year's schedule.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LanceShock » February 1st, 2016, 7:58 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:I found some irony in the fact that the women's soccer team was honored at halftime on the same day that the Aces NCAA at-large chances were completely squashed.

It was well known that the Lady Aces soccer team knew this was their best shot at the NCAAs and scheduled aggressively in the non-conference. Even though their at-large chances faded with several losses, their tough scheduled prepared them to run through the MVC tourney and into the NCAAs.

I wish the men's basketball team would have had the same 'all-in' mentality when making this year's schedule.

So does the rest of the Valley. SIU was a surprise this year, so they can be excused their schedule. Evansville was going to be good and the players on the team deserved a schedule that matched them.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvcfan » February 1st, 2016, 9:24 am

Yes. Some Evansville fans (on their message board) are saying that The Aces were unlucky with their shooting yesterday and don't give any credence to KenPom who ranks them in the Top 12 on defensive efficiency. I just wish that the Aces would have played a quality non-con schedule so they could gauge themselves against others then just the Shockers because I think that they would have done well.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » February 1st, 2016, 10:19 am

mvcfan wrote:Yes. Some Evansville fans (on their message board) are saying that The Aces were unlucky with their shooting yesterday and don't give any credence to KenPom who ranks them in the Top 12 on defensive efficiency. I just wish that the Aces would have played a quality non-con schedule so they could gauge themselves against others then just the Shockers because I think that they would have done well.

The schedule is inexcusable. I think a realistic goal for this year was a home game in the NIT - given what was returning and what they accomplished last year. Of course I would 1000x rather see an NCAA berth, but I will cut them some slack.

The excuses about the schedule frustrate the heck out of me. I've heard them all but it boils down to this - the head coach would rather fatten up on cupcakes than play tough teams. I'm not someone who makes ridiculous claims like IU, Purdue, or UK should come play at the Ford Center. Not gonna happen. Also, even regional teams like Xavier, Butler, and Dayton probably would only agree to LT deals, something that would have been difficult to do this year.

But there had to be better options than scheduling 3 SWAC teams - even if it meant road games. Any MAC, Summit, OVC, or Horizon team would have been an improvement. As an example of creative scheduling here are a few examples:
SIU - North Texas, Missouri St. - Oral Roberts, UA Little Rock - Central Arkansas, Belmont - Lipscomb, and Belmont - Valpo.

All of those school played non-conference home & home games and none of those were part of MTEs either. Belmont did it with 2 other schools. But they were already coming to Evansville, which means UE would have had a road game there. I will concede SLU (Crews) - but two former assistants are now at UM-KC. So there are no favors to be asked?

I just think there had to be better options.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » February 1st, 2016, 11:01 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:[ I've heard them all but it boils down to this - the head coach would rather fatten up on cupcakes

Ah. Now I get it. Not sure how I had been missing this. Well done, sir.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » February 1st, 2016, 11:58 am

Cdizzle wrote:
PurpleAcesFootball wrote:[ I've heard them all but it boils down to this - the head coach would rather fatten up on cupcakes

This has so many meanings that someone could run with. I'm not going to because I have no reason to believe he's not a decent guy that would deserve those comments.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » February 1st, 2016, 1:43 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

This has so many meanings that someone could run with. I'm not going to because I have no reason to believe he's not a decent guy that would deserve those comments.

LOL. That is quite the double entendre. I wish I was that quick witted, but I'm not. I'll take it as a compliment though. :D

Let me rephrase so it's not taken out of context: The coach would rather boost his season win total by playing 200+ RPI teams, commonly referred to as cupcakes.

I guess I could have said 'Beating up the Little Sisters", but then I'd offend the Catholics, and with Lent coming up and all...
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 1st, 2016, 2:22 pm

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:

LOL. That is quite the double entendre. I wish I was that quick witted, but I'm not. I'll take it as a compliment though. :D

Let me rephrase so it's not taken out of context: The coach would rather boost his season win total by playing 200+ RPI teams, commonly referred to as cupcakes.

I guess I could have said 'Beating up the Little Sisters", but then I'd offend the Catholics, and with Lent coming up and all...

Are you saying that comment was unintentional. If so, that is absolutely fantastic.

I picked up on it immediately and assumed it written specifically with that analogy.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 2nd, 2016, 11:46 am

I've heard them all but it boils down to this - the head coach would rather fatten up on cupcakes

He probably keeps his job with 20+ wins.
rdr
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » February 2nd, 2016, 6:06 pm

Is it possible that Marty legitimately doesn't understand anything about RPI or SoS? Obviously a coach that has an NCAA caliber team should have a solid grasp on that or at least have an assistant who does, but Andy Reid has been an NFL head coach for 16 years and doesn't know how a clock works so anything is possible.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball