SIU at UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU at UNI

Postby Cdizzle » February 1st, 2016, 1:47 pm

For the record, a post player grabbing their defender by the arm and pulling them down towards them as they fall to the ground is a flop.

Watch for it. It happens multiple times per game, and is called more than once a game. The ref looks over and sees a UNI player on the floor with a defender standing over them. Because their arms were tangled, it can be perceived that the defender actually pushed the offensive player down. It is clearly a coached behavior.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherSigEp » February 1st, 2016, 2:42 pm

Cdizzle wrote:For the record, a post player grabbing their defender by the arm and pulling them down towards them as they fall to the ground is a flop.

Watch for it. It happens multiple times per game, and is called more than once a game. The ref looks over and sees a UNI player on the floor with a defender standing over them. Because their arms were tangled, it can be perceived that the defender actually pushed the offensive player down. It is clearly a coached behavior.

I'm sure this means you could provide me with an example of it happening? Having watched or listened to nearly every UNI game, I've yet to hear or see anything that would lead me to believe that UNI is getting called for flops.

The only thing I've seen in the Jacobson Era that is clearly a "coached behavior" in regards to fouls is taking charges. If we're going to start criticizing teams for this then you have a very long list to start working on.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby James__SIU » February 1st, 2016, 11:22 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
James__SIU wrote:Northern Iowa had to win this game. Shocked that SIU shot the ball so bad. 38% from the field, 22% from 3, and 46% from the line. The defense was amazing for Northern Iowa even at the FT line. Northern had 17 more free throws in the game too. All recipes for a loss. Good win, Northern Iowa.

Part of the fact that we had more free throws was your bigs couldn't handle Koch on the block so they resorted to fouling him. Now I will admit that the game was very poorly officiated on both ends. It was terribly inconsistent.

Yeah I wasn't calling out bad refs or anything. Bola does foul way too much and Ibby can't play defense half as well as Bola. Just very clear why your team won the game. Poor shooting and couldn't keep you off the line. Enough said. Hope we don't meet up in the tourney. :|
James__SIU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 3rd, 2016, 8:32 am

James__SIU wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
James__SIU wrote:Northern Iowa had to win this game. Shocked that SIU shot the ball so bad. 38% from the field, 22% from 3, and 46% from the line. The defense was amazing for Northern Iowa even at the FT line. Northern had 17 more free throws in the game too. All recipes for a loss. Good win, Northern Iowa.

Part of the fact that we had more free throws was your bigs couldn't handle Koch on the block so they resorted to fouling him. Now I will admit that the game was very poorly officiated on both ends. It was terribly inconsistent.

Yeah I wasn't calling out bad refs or anything. Bola does foul way too much and Ibby can't play defense half as well as Bola. Just very clear why your team won the game. Poor shooting and couldn't keep you off the line. Enough said. Hope we don't meet up in the tourney. :|

Okay just making sure. Wasn't sure about the tone of the first post. ;)

However, the reffing was quite terrible both ways. Just really really inconsistent. Wish it could have been more consistent.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball