Valley Fantasy Draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Fantasy Draft

Postby Redhawk » February 5th, 2016, 9:43 am

No one on the Redbirds frustrates me more than PLee! I HAVE to over value him though because he is the only real PG on the team. Definitely do not want him to play 2 guard either...that might be even worse!

That is the problem with ISUr. Whoever they play in the Valley has them over matched in guard play. Even against Loyola the other night the Birds were getting outscored 24-8 at halftime from the guard position.
Pretty much any starting guard in the valley would be an upgrade for ISUr!

To your point it's more of a Coaching error in recruiting. They have no decent options at 2 guard and only one PG of Valley caliber. Muller also really can't force PLee to play the game they way he wants because there is no threat of being replaced in the line-up!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » February 5th, 2016, 9:47 am

PantherSigEp wrote:But Baker is out of the equation given the "fantasy" nature of this thread. He can't be on UNI and WSU.

Your question was about imagining how hard those 3 would be to stop. I'm saying I have a comparison point of a real team that is already more difficult to stop, so yes, I can imagine it.

PantherSigEp wrote:Morgan is the best defender at the 3 in the MVC now that Cotton is gone.

If we are making the common assumption that WSU players are not in the running, then I agree. If not, then he is the 3rd best.

PantherSigEp wrote:Is FVV really that much superior on D to Washpun

Yes.

PantherSigEp wrote:to make up the difference of having Baker and Morgan lock down the 2/3 spots?

Again, I'd take the defensive combo of Baker/Brown or Baker/McDuffie over Baker/Morgan all day every day.

PantherSigEp wrote:Did anyone see what Wes just did to Beane/Ballentine the last 2 games?

Have you seen the career numbers of those guys against WSU? Because they are even worse this year as seniors against Brown/McDuffie than they have been against Cotton.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 5th, 2016, 9:52 am

Redhawk wrote:Fact is though that Mark Few saw something in Ron Baker that he preferred to have him on the team over Fred.

1. It wasn't about taking Ron over Fred. They were at different positions. It was about taking Ron over the other 2 guards at the camp, and taking a bunch of terrible PGs over Fred at the PG.
2. If Few made the decision about PG, he was dead wrong, and it cost him a gold medal.
3. Melo Trimble was selected over FVV at the camp because of certain influences of certain other "assistant coaches" at the camp.

Aside from feeling bad for Baker, that team got what they deserved. It was blatantly obvious to anyone who has ever watched basketball before that the reason they weren't in contention for a gold medal was PG play.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 5th, 2016, 10:03 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redhawk wrote:Fact is though that Mark Few saw something in Ron Baker that he preferred to have him on the team over Fred.

1. It wasn't about taking Ron over Fred. They were at different positions. It was about taking Ron over the other 2 guards at the camp.

My point isn't about taking Ron over Fred either. It's taking Baker over Wills & McCloud!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 5th, 2016, 10:19 am

Redhawk wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

1. It wasn't about taking Ron over Fred. They were at different positions. It was about taking Ron over the other 2 guards at the camp.

My point isn't about taking Ron over Fred either. It's taking Baker over Wills & McCloud!

100% correct on the first point. They chose Melo Trimble and Bobby Brown over Fred.

Trimble went 4-19, 7 asst, 8 TO in 60 mins
Brown went 29-71 .... Yes 71 shots by the PG in 5 games. Nearly double the next closet player on the team (Damien Wilkens had 42) and nearly the entire reason for Team USA losing.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 5th, 2016, 10:36 am

It really comes down to a simple decision. It isn't Fred vs Ron, it's who would you rather start with DAP, McIntosh and Hawkins. Would you rather be starting FVV and Tony Wills or Lee and Baker. Because whichever duo you pick will be getting the majority of the minutes.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 5th, 2016, 10:39 am

Redhawk wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Fair enough. But if my job is to improve a team, regardless of that team's strengths and weaknesses, my first add is Fred.

We all know you wouldn't want a whining, head-throwing prima donna on your team anyway.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 5th, 2016, 10:53 am

If I were starting a team this year I would take VanVleet, Baker, and Mock. In that order. In picking VanVleet over Baker I don't necessarily think he's better. It's that he's a great PG. And that position impacts the whole team more than SG does.

If I were building for the future elwith young players I would take McDuffie and Obi Church. In that order.
Last edited by glm38 on February 5th, 2016, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 5th, 2016, 10:54 am

You keep talking about Wills and McCloud....it's Roland Griffin. He started until he injured his foot. Here is your lineups with both

Taking FVV:
pg - FVV
sg - Roland Griffin
sf - DAP
sf/pf - McIntosh
pf/c - Hawkins

Taking Baker:
pg - Lee
sg - Ron Baker
sf - DAP
sf/pf - McIntosh
pf/c - Hawkins

I like option 1. Defensively and BBIQ we get a ton better. FVV Is a gamer and with Roland Griffin we have a potential Freshman of Year candidate if he didn't get hurt. Imagine somebody who can run the offense and put those "athletic and most talented players in the Valley" in the right positions to succeed.

Just like in football - your success starts with an elite QB. Without it, you will not win the Super Bowl. Same can be said for pg in college basketball.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 5th, 2016, 10:55 am

glm38 wrote:If I were starting a team this year I would take VanVleet, Baker, and Mock. In that order. In pickin VanVleet over Baker I don't necessarily think he's better. It's that he's a great PG. And that position impacts the whole team more than SG does.

If I were building for the future elwith young players I would take McDuffie and Obi Church. In that order.

Future - McDuffie and McIntosh
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball