Championship sunday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Championship sunday

Postby AndShock » March 6th, 2016, 8:50 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
AndShock wrote:
uniftw wrote:If UNI is a 13 or 14 WSU isn't getting in.

I'd bet on a 12

I don't really think the two are related.

It depends on how the committee values WSU. If they are considered a tournament team, that adds two quality wins to UNI's resume over a tournament team. If the committee doesn't consider WSU a tournament team, then those wins are devalued. A 14 seed means there are only 10-12 teams that the committee thinks are worse than UNI. That would mean those losses to UNI would not be very good for WSU's chances for making it. A 13 is a possibility, but I'm thinking UNI is in at a 12 and WSU is in at an 11.

IMO, UNI's seed is entirely dependent on what other teams do and UNI's resume doesn't actually matter that much. Akron, Saint Mary's, South Dakota State, Valpo, Monmouth, Little Rock, maybe even Yale are gonna be teams that will probably be above UNI if they win their conference tournament (Yale has already punched their ticket), which would move UNI down to a 13. Then you just have to find around 2 more teams to stick in front of them to move them down to a 14, whether those teams are fringe top 50 conference tournament winners or BCS cinderellas. But if all those teams lose in their conference tournament, there isn't going to be anyone to stick ahead of UNI, UNI moves up to a 12 by default.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherSigEp » March 6th, 2016, 9:20 pm

I wanna hear The Asian Sentsations take on seeding. That guy is money
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxINDST » March 6th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I hope WSU gets in. I hope both could make a good run and put some good words in peoples mouths about the Valley. Prove a mid major conference can compete! I hope Evansville can make the NIT. DJ and Mock deserve to go out with some post season tournament.

Go Valley!
ShoxINDST
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby squirrel » March 7th, 2016, 7:49 am

Palm has UNI as a 14 against Miami, and Wichita among the first four out.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 7th, 2016, 8:05 am

Bubble watch on ESPN has WSU as a lock.

Lunardi's bracket was supposedly updated today, but still has WSU as the conference champ and UNI not in it so it cannot be up to date really...
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » March 7th, 2016, 8:21 am

Congrats to UNI on winning Arch Madness! They have been on quite a roll so hopefully they
can do some damage in the Big Dance.

I think the Shockers will still be an at large. Even though they are not a Power 5 team their
strong national reputation should get them in. Sure would like to see Fred and Ron make one
final run through the bracket!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby indymoon » March 7th, 2016, 8:32 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:
uniftw wrote:Mock, DJ and Wing deserve and NIT bid, really an NCAA bid. Too good of players not too at least get that once

OTOH, Marty doesn't deserve dick. A hack of a coach to have talent like that for 4 years and not get 1 NCAA bid

UE needs to move on

Pretty amazing, really. 1st & 2nd all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder and best we can do is sweat out the NIT Bubble.

It's a shame really.

I understand the criticisms of Marty and I share in some of those. However, if this team is so talented (as you claim) then why does a 6'7", 6.5 ppg player off the bench (Carlson) score 17 points? The answer is that Carlson was a very tough match-up for E. He was big enough to guard E on the defensive end with a ton of collapsing help D. on the offensive end, he had the combination of quickness and outside shooting that literally had E spinning around.

Also, if DJ is so talented why doesn't he just take the ball one-on-one and score at will? Because he lacks either or both size and superior quickness to separate. He uses screens and given that slight advantage over a D can then create his shot. He's a great player when used that way.
indymoon
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 7th, 2016, 8:58 am

indymoon wrote:
uniftw wrote:Mock, DJ and Wing deserve and NIT bid, really an NCAA bid. Too good of players not too at least get that once

OTOH, Marty doesn't deserve dick. A hack of a coach to have talent like that for 4 years and not get 1 NCAA bid

UE needs to move on

Pretty amazing, really. 1st & 2nd all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder and best we can do is sweat out the NIT Bubble.

It's a shame really.

I understand the criticisms of Marty and I share in some of those. However, if this team is so talented (as you claim) then why does a 6'7", 6.5 ppg player off the bench (Carlson) score 17 points? The answer is that Carlson was a very tough match-up for E. He was big enough to guard E on the defensive end with a ton of collapsing help D. on the offensive end, he had the combination of quickness and outside shooting that literally had E spinning around.

Also, if DJ is so talented why doesn't he just take the ball one-on-one and score at will? Because he lacks either or both size and superior quickness to separate. He uses screens and given that slight advantage over a D can then create his shot. He's a great player when used that way.

So you are saying that Marty should have realized Carlson was a matchup problem and not played E so much correct? Or maybe force the ball inside to him realizing Carlson couldn't cover him 1 on 1, and you would have open shooters outside.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » March 7th, 2016, 9:09 am

UE needs to move on

It's a shame really.

Wow - I didn't know Marty had Colt Ryan (#2 all time UE scorer) sitting on the bench yesterday and didn't use him. Hey like others I don't always agree with Marty's choices but he has had a part in us landing Colt Ryan and D.J. Balentine as well E-Mo so give him some credit. With the supposedly very limited UE athletic budget who do you think is out there that could do a better job recruiting and coaching UE? Marty loves UE and his players always seem to love him so I support him but reserve the right to question him. I will not place all blame on him or the players. By the way UNI is a good team that had a hard to explain bad month - they beat Wichita twice as well as UNC and Iowa State (and unfortuantely for the Aces us 3 times by a total of 7 points) - statistically pretty freakish to lose all 3 tight games.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby squirrel » March 7th, 2016, 9:16 am

Right, I get the disappointment that an attempt to schedule for a potential NCAA bid...but you are a very unappreciative bunch in Evansville. Of course, I'd say the same about Bradley fans regarding Molinari.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball