Championship sunday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Championship sunday

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 7th, 2016, 9:33 am

PantherSigEp wrote:I wanna hear The Asian Sentsations take on seeding. That guy is money

12 or 13. Looks like the last at-larges are going to fall on the 11 line. And there's just too many darned signature wins. I can see the committee choose to reward conference champions of leagues that had great years (whoever wins the CAA, whoever wins the Summit, UALR, Chattanooga) over UNI, so that may lead to a 13 seed. But either 12 or 13.

I think the 14 line is out of play. Naturally, that's where Palm has them :huh: I just can't see an argument for the likes of Stony Brook, Yale, Hawaii, etc to be above UNI.

I'm already exhausted on Wichita talk and I haven't even begun talking about them yet. This week is gonna be hell.

Evansville will probably miss the NIT. They've got two critical wins over Fresno and Irvine who are also on the NIT bubble, but pretty much every bubble team will be carrying a better signature win than Evansville to the table.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 7th, 2016, 10:06 am

One thing Hawaii does have over UNI is the head to head, but I think our full body of work is better than theirs.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 7th, 2016, 10:18 am

indymoon wrote:
PurpleAcesFootball wrote:
uniftw wrote:Mock, DJ and Wing deserve and NIT bid, really an NCAA bid. Too good of players not too at least get that once

OTOH, Marty doesn't deserve dick. A hack of a coach to have talent like that for 4 years and not get 1 NCAA bid

UE needs to move on

Pretty amazing, really. 1st & 2nd all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder and best we can do is sweat out the NIT Bubble.

It's a shame really.

I understand the criticisms of Marty and I share in some of those. However, if this team is so talented (as you claim) then why does a 6'7", 6.5 ppg player off the bench (Carlson) score 17 points? The answer is that Carlson was a very tough match-up for E. He was big enough to guard E on the defensive end with a ton of collapsing help D. on the offensive end, he had the combination of quickness and outside shooting that literally had E spinning around.

Also, if DJ is so talented why doesn't he just take the ball one-on-one and score at will? Because he lacks either or both size and superior quickness to separate. He uses screens and given that slight advantage over a D can then create his shot. He's a great player when used that way.

That 6'7 bench player is going to be real damn good the next three years, and he's been playing out of position this year. He's going to be a match up problem for a lot of people for a lot of years. He's a cross between Jake Koch, Lucas O'Rear and Jeremy Morgan.

Mock is still, far and away, the best post player in the league. I mean, it wasn't close. Just because he isn't fast enough to guard Carlson doesn't take away from that.

What that match up does do is point to just how bad Marty is at adjusting to anything outside of his very small box of comfort when it comes to Xs and Os. Evansville made a run because DJ woke up which woke his teammates up. It wasn't anything Marty did coaching. Marty's answer to Carlson? Take Mock out of the game rather than zone a team that was pretty cold from the outside, which would've limited the screen and roll that Washpun killed UE with. It would have limited the amount Mock would have to leave the 5 foot radius of the rim he is comfortable in. Paul and Bo were so off yesterday there was zero need to guard them as close as Marty kept forcing the defense too. That played perfectly to the spread look UNI was wanting. It doesn't matter that Matt and Paul couldn't hit anything. Marty wasn't going to adjust off of them to stop the one thing that was killing them.

I rewatched the game last night and took photos of the last two shots by Wes.

Here is the one to give the 2 point lead
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340 ... qiewoq.jpg

Only difference on the game winner is Carlson flopped sides to give Wes the driving lane if he wanted it. Look how close the guy guarding Paul is to him...on the opposite side of the court in the deep corner.
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340 ... xi8lz3.jpg

I understand not wanting Paul or Bo to get hot, but at that point in the game it's time to adjust.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » March 7th, 2016, 10:23 am

UEACES80 wrote:
uniftw wrote:
A hack of a coach to have talent like that for 4 years and not get 1 NCAA bid

Pretty amazing, really. 1st & 2nd all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder and best we can do is sweat out the NIT Bubble.

It's a shame really.

Wow - I didn't know Marty had Colt Ryan (#2 all time UE scorer) sitting on the bench yesterday and didn't use him.

Check out the roster for 2012-13. Colt, DJ, Wing, and Mock all on the same team. UNIFTW was probably referencing the four year players of DJ, Wing, and Mock - but yes, in the last 4 years we have had the #1 and #2 leading scorers and the leading rebounder and the best we can do is hope for an NIT bid. We started FOUR 3 year starters (#50 has started from Day 1) this year.

As I have said before - something is wrong with that picture: coaching, scheduling, recruiting, conference affiliation, or maybe even D-3/D-1.

I have thoughts about it, but others don't see it that way, or even see it as an issue. UE has a lot of Bruce Hornsby fans - "That's just the way it is.."
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » March 7th, 2016, 10:48 am

uniftw wrote:I rewatched the game last night and took photos of the last two shots by Wes.

Only difference on the game winner is Carlson flopped sides to give Wes the driving lane if he wanted it. Look how close the guy guarding Paul is to him...on the opposite side of the court in the deep corner.

I understand not wanting Paul or Bo to get hot, but at that point in the game it's time to adjust.

Great pics. Can you do me a favor - watch about 10 seconds before each of those shots. This is from memory, but I think Jaylon Brown was guarding Wes as the ball came up the court. Then whoever Balentine was guarding came up and set a ball screen. As with the Marty defense that never changes, Brown/Balentine switched letting Washpun set up the weaker on-ball defender DJ.

The thing that frustrated me was UNI ran the exact same set to get a Washpun matchup against #50 3 straight possessions around the 4-5 minute mark. Even more frustrating is that is exactly the same offense set that UNI ran in the final 4 minutes of the prior two UE/UNI games.

Coaches can't control execution. Washpun got the shooter's roll, so on one play it's easy to over analyze and dissect it with 20/20 hindsight. But the play was set up to get the ball in their best player's hands and the defensive matchup he wanted.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 7th, 2016, 11:03 am

uniftw wrote:I rewatched the game last night and took photos of the last two shots by Wes.

Great pics. Can you do me a favor - watch about 10 seconds before each of those shots. This is from memory, but I think Jaylon Brown was guarding Wes as the ball came up the court. Then whoever Balentine was guarding came up and set a ball screen. As with the Marty defense that never changes, Brown/Balentine switched letting Washpun set up the weaker on-ball defender DJ.

The thing that frustrated me was UNI ran the exact same set to get a Washpun matchup against #50 3 straight possessions around the 4-5 minute mark. Even more frustrating is that is exactly the same offense set that UNI ran in the final 4 minutes of the prior two UE/UNI games.

Coaches can't control execution. Washpun got the shooter's roll, so on one play it's easy to over analyze and dissect it with 20/20 hindsight. But the play was set up to get the ball in their best player's hands and the defensive matchup he wanted.

This is MVCFan2 (forced to change screen name)...What a great game live to watch. I feel terrible for those UE players and fans...it may be awhile before they ever get that kind of opportunity again.

UNI looked great defensively all weekend and Jacobson runs a well executed, smart team. He is the best coach in this league for the talent he has.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 7th, 2016, 11:20 am

There was no ball screen on the final shot. That was Wes/DJ the entire time

The shot before I'd have to check tonight when I get home but I believe there was a ball screen and switch.

Asked after the game if he got the match ups he was looking for Wes said something to the effect of "I got the match up I knew was coming and exploited it".
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » March 7th, 2016, 11:39 am

Anyone with basketball understanding knows UE should have doubled Wes the moment he began his move.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aces1982 » March 7th, 2016, 11:55 am

He exploited it? He made a move to the basket and stepped back to create space. He then threw a brick that got a very fortunate bounce. It hit the flat part of the rim that connects to the backboard. But it went in so I guess it was a great play since so many people on here are "result orientated".

Do people that question the coaches every time you lose also praise them when your teams win? I think that would be no for most. People that question Simmons in the first half, did they praise him in the second half for the comeback? It was a 2 point loss that could have gone either way. If the ball bounces out and UE wins in OT nobody says a word about Simmons instead would probably question Jacobson for not doing something right.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace75 » March 7th, 2016, 12:27 pm

All three games between UNI and UE were battles. The last shot didn't beat us it was the 17 point hole we had to dig out of. Congrats to the Panthers. Will be cheering for you and WSU. Make some noise. This was the most fun I've had the past 15 years. I wouldn't trade our players for anyone. They played their butts off just wasn't enough. Hopefully we can build on this. Some fans came back this year and that's what we need to turn the corner. Not a big Marty fan. I wished he would coach like he played but it is what it is.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball