NCAA tournament

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA tournament

Postby Stickboy46 » March 14th, 2016, 7:49 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:NCAA bubble was too big for a team like Evansville to get in to the NIT this year unfortunately. It is a shame as they would have likely gone far, but that schedule really hurt.

UE deserved a bid. Unfortunately, there were WAY too many Regular season champions that lost their Conference tourney then didn't get an at-large. That locked up a lot of auto-bids.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 14th, 2016, 7:50 am

Here is a link to a great interview between Rece Davis and John Calipari regarding Kentucky's seeding and how mis-seeding hurts not that team, but the team they face. He used WSU's 31-0 team as an example. It hurt WSU that the committee mis-seeded Kentucky and how it's a motivator for him to his team ("Don't believe in us" theory).

I think many teams were mis-seeded this year, starting with most of the Big 10 who were greatly underseeded IMO.

He also goes into how they need to have consistent criteria for selecting teams. One year it's RPI, another SOS, and so on. Great interview.

Watch the video, the article says very little...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... aa-tourney
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » March 14th, 2016, 7:54 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:NCAA bubble was too big for a team like Evansville to get in to the NIT this year unfortunately. It is a shame as they would have likely gone far, but that schedule really hurt.

UE deserved a bid. Unfortunately, there were WAY too many Regular season champions that lost their Conference tourney then didn't get an at-large. That locked up a lot of auto-bids.

That happens almost every year though...12, 13, 14, 16. Granted this year was 16, but that is why you have to have an NCAA profile to get in.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 14th, 2016, 8:45 am

I didn't even have Evansville among my last 8 projected out of the NIT.

Runner-up teams from the #14 conference usually don't get at-large bids to the NIT, folks. 8 teams with better RPI's than Evansville got left out of the NIT.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby SubGod22 » March 14th, 2016, 9:18 am

UE trying to win the SWAC championship this year kept them out of the NIT. It's all on the Aces staff. They're good enough to be an NCAA team, but didn't even give themselves a shot at the NIT.

That's what's wrong with this conference.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » March 14th, 2016, 9:27 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:I didn't even have Evansville among my last 8 projected out of the NIT.

Runner-up teams from the #14 conference usually don't get at-large bids to the NIT, folks. 8 teams with better RPI's than Evansville got left out of the NIT.

Also teams with a nonconference SOS of 210 and an overall SOS of 207 don't get at large berths either. The real injustice was Monmouth not getting in the big dance. Why they were penalized for 200+ RPI losses and Syracuse wasn't sets a bad precedent.

Aces fans can blame the conference tournaments, but if St. Bonaventure or Monmouth were at-larges, that means only 13 NIT auto-bids - the same as last year. That would cause 2 at-larges like Michigan or Vandy to be in the NIT. Teams that still had better profiles than UE.

Evansville's fate was sealed as NCAA or bust when the schedule came out last summer.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mike » March 14th, 2016, 2:21 pm

And the Cuse is officially the worst at-large team in the history of everything.

Agreed. As one of the commentators on the selection show said, any team that loses to St. John's should not be in the NCAA
Mike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby sixth ace » March 14th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Had the ball bounced the other way and UE won UNI wouldn't had made the NIT even with their schedule.

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » March 14th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Good luck to the Panthers in the tourney.

I think they got a fair seeding (maybe even a good one) and the matchups give them every chance to advance.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see UNI dancing into the 2nd week. Go Panthers!
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 14th, 2016, 3:18 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:The play-in game is a concern, but that half of the region is do-able for Wichita. As reasonably good as one could hope for.

I always look forward to your commentary on The Tournament.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball