Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall to Louisville?

Postby MVCfans » April 7th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Goodman all over Twitter tonight suggesting Marshall to Memphis. I can't imagine that job in an unstable league would interest him when he's turned down better.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Re: Marshall to Louisville?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Postby ISUBirds89 » April 7th, 2016, 10:28 pm

Underestimating the FedEx money. And I'm not saying he is or isn't interested, but it's a better job than you are giving credit. Superior job to Wichita.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 7:35 am

ISUBirds89 wrote:Underestimating the FedEx money. And I'm not saying he is or isn't interested, but it's a better job than you are giving credit. Superior job to Wichita.

You were good until that last sentence.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 7:56 am

uniftw wrote:
ISUBirds89 wrote:Underestimating the FedEx money. And I'm not saying he is or isn't interested, but it's a better job than you are giving credit. Superior job to Wichita.

Not really uniftw....best job in it's league by far with Memphis being superior to all other teams (similar to WSU right now). Great facilities, huge fan base, and a recruiting hot bed. Money would have to talk for him to leave, but Calipari made them a regular contender nationally and so can Marshall.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 8:02 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Not really uniftw....best job in it's league by far with Memphis being superior to all other teams (similar to WSU right now). Great facilities, huge fan base, and a recruiting hot bed. Money would have to talk for him to leave, but Calipari made them a regular contender nationally and so can Marshall.

Best job in the MVC? WSU
Great Facilities? WSU has 'em
Huge fan base? WSU has it
Recruiting hot bed? Pretty much
Money? Greg routinely reminds people how much he makes

No idea if he will go or not, but let's not act like Memphis is a better job right now.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 8:13 am

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Best job in the MVC? WSU
Great Facilities? WSU has 'em
Huge fan base? WSU has it
Recruiting hot bed? Pretty much
Money? Greg routinely reminds people how much he makes

No idea if he will go or not, but let's not act like Memphis is a better job right now.

Right now? WSU is better - although he just lost his All Americans
Long term? Hell yes Memphis is better...here's why:

Much better league than the MVC - much more respect by the NCAA Committee in getting selected, and getting a good seed.

Sad to say, our conference (lke all mid major conferences) is a deterrent and Memphis is a similar job in stature to what WSU has, but in a conference that can get more respect from the committee...giving him a chance to win a National Championship by getting seeded properly (branding and name recognition goes a long way as evidenced by the committees baffling choices this year).

Let me finish this by saying I want Marshall to stay, it's good for our conference and WSU can become the next Gonzaga....(before the Shox trolls jump on me). However, when you go undefeated then get absolutely screwed by having to face Kentucky in the 1v8 matchup a few years ago......NO RESPECT!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 8:40 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Right now? WSU is better - although he just lost his All Americans

Much better league than the MVC - much more respect by the NCAA Committee in getting selected, and getting a good seed.

Sad to say, our conference (lke all mid major conferences) is a deterrent and Memphis is a similar job in stature to what WSU has, but in a conference that can get more respect from the committee...giving him a chance to win a National Championship by getting seeded properly (branding and name recognition goes a long way as evidenced by the committees baffling choices this year).

Let me finish this by saying I want Marshall to stay, it's good for our conference and WSU can become the next Gonzaga....(before the Shox trolls jump on me). However, when you go undefeated then get absolutely screwed by having to face Kentucky in the 1v8 matchup a few years ago......NO RESPECT!

Maybe the rest of the league could step the f*** up and make the league respectable.

Having the third place team finish finish outside of the top 100 in RPI and 17-14 overall hurts the league significantly.

Having half the league finish under .500 overall hurts the league significantly.
Having only 2 schools that can consistently make the NCAAs hurts the league.
Only 2 teams have made the NCAA's since 2011 that are currently in the conference- WSU/UNI
Going back to 08/09 it's still only at 3 teams currently in the conference - only broken up by a one off season from Indiana State (and Missouri State).
4 schools haven't been to the tournament this millennium - Missouri State, Evansville, Illinois State and Loyola.
A 5th school had one miraculous season IN 2008 but still hasn't won an NCAA game since 1971.
2 schools have never won an NCAA game as a member of the MVC.
Only three teams since ISUr in 1998 has the Arch Madness champion now been Creighton, UNI or WSU - 01 and 11 ISUb, 06 SIU and 08 Drake...Creighton - 7, UNI - 5, WSU - 1...but WSU has more regular season titles

Maybe someone other than UNI could make a consistent effort to be good and help raise the profile of the damn league. Try to raise the profile of the leauge. Go look at what has happened to the RPI's in this league the last 6 years. The bottom half of the league freaking quit trying to not be garbage. The league went from 1 or 2 teams over 200 in the RPI to multiple 300+ teams and 2 or 3 more in the 200s. That's teams not trying. That's league members f****** sabotaging it's own damn league.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 8:53 am

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Right now? WSU is better - although he just lost his All Americans

Maybe the rest of the league could step the f*** up and make the league respectable.

Having the third place team finish finish outside of the top 100 in RPI and 17-14 overall hurts the league significantly.

Having half the league finish under .500 overall hurts the league significantly.
Having only 2 schools that can consistently make the NCAAs hurts the league.
Only 2 teams have made the NCAA's since 2011 that are currently in the conference- WSU/UNI
Going back to 08/09 it's still only at 3 teams currently in the conference - only broken up by a one off season from Indiana State (and Missouri State).
4 schools haven't been to the tournament this millennium - Missouri State, Evansville, Illinois State and Loyola.
A 5th school had one miraculous season IN 2008 but still hasn't won an NCAA game since 1971.
2 schools have never won an NCAA game as a member of the MVC.
Only three teams since ISUr in 1998 has the Arch Madness champion now been Creighton, UNI or WSU - 01 and 11 ISUb, 06 SIU and 08 Drake...Creighton - 7, UNI - 5, WSU - 1...but WSU has more regular season titles

Maybe someone other than UNI could make a consistent effort to be good and help raise the profile of the damn league. Try to raise the profile of the leauge. Go look at what has happened to the RPI's in this league the last 6 years. The bottom half of the league freaking quit trying to not be garbage. The league went from 1 or 2 teams over 200 in the RPI to multiple 300+ teams and 2 or 3 more in the 200s. That's teams not trying. That's league members f****** sabotaging it's own damn league.

Totally agree with everything you said.

And THAT is why the Memphis job is a better job (and the fact it's considered a higher profile job in the eyes of the selection committee for respect in seeding/bids).

Thanks for making my point.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 9:18 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:

And THAT is why the Memphis job is a better job (and the fact it's considered a higher profile job in the eyes of the selection committee for respect in seeding/bids).

Sure.

Memphis is a better job because programs like Drake, Bradley, Illinois State, Missouri State and Evansville can't figure their own s*** out.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 9:24 am

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Sure.

Memphis is a better job because programs like Drake, Bradley, Illinois State, Missouri State and Evansville can't figure their own s*** out.

Correct, along with all mid major conferences, regardless of their members, are getting hosed now by the selection committee.
Again, you are making my argument.

Thanks.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball