Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 8:02 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
ISUBirds89 wrote:Underestimating the FedEx money. And I'm not saying he is or isn't interested, but it's a better job than you are giving credit. Superior job to Wichita.

You were good until that last sentence.

Not really uniftw....best job in it's league by far with Memphis being superior to all other teams (similar to WSU right now). Great facilities, huge fan base, and a recruiting hot bed. Money would have to talk for him to leave, but Calipari made them a regular contender nationally and so can Marshall.

Best job in the MVC? WSU
Great Facilities? WSU has 'em
Huge fan base? WSU has it
Recruiting hot bed? Pretty much
Money? Greg routinely reminds people how much he makes

No idea if he will go or not, but let's not act like Memphis is a better job right now.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 8:13 am

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Not really uniftw....best job in it's league by far with Memphis being superior to all other teams (similar to WSU right now). Great facilities, huge fan base, and a recruiting hot bed. Money would have to talk for him to leave, but Calipari made them a regular contender nationally and so can Marshall.

Best job in the MVC? WSU
Great Facilities? WSU has 'em
Huge fan base? WSU has it
Recruiting hot bed? Pretty much
Money? Greg routinely reminds people how much he makes

No idea if he will go or not, but let's not act like Memphis is a better job right now.

Right now? WSU is better - although he just lost his All Americans
Long term? Hell yes Memphis is better...here's why:

Much better league than the MVC - much more respect by the NCAA Committee in getting selected, and getting a good seed.

Sad to say, our conference (lke all mid major conferences) is a deterrent and Memphis is a similar job in stature to what WSU has, but in a conference that can get more respect from the committee...giving him a chance to win a National Championship by getting seeded properly (branding and name recognition goes a long way as evidenced by the committees baffling choices this year).

Let me finish this by saying I want Marshall to stay, it's good for our conference and WSU can become the next Gonzaga....(before the Shox trolls jump on me). However, when you go undefeated then get absolutely screwed by having to face Kentucky in the 1v8 matchup a few years ago......NO RESPECT!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 8:40 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Right now? WSU is better - although he just lost his All Americans

Much better league than the MVC - much more respect by the NCAA Committee in getting selected, and getting a good seed.

Sad to say, our conference (lke all mid major conferences) is a deterrent and Memphis is a similar job in stature to what WSU has, but in a conference that can get more respect from the committee...giving him a chance to win a National Championship by getting seeded properly (branding and name recognition goes a long way as evidenced by the committees baffling choices this year).

Let me finish this by saying I want Marshall to stay, it's good for our conference and WSU can become the next Gonzaga....(before the Shox trolls jump on me). However, when you go undefeated then get absolutely screwed by having to face Kentucky in the 1v8 matchup a few years ago......NO RESPECT!

Maybe the rest of the league could step the f*** up and make the league respectable.

Having the third place team finish finish outside of the top 100 in RPI and 17-14 overall hurts the league significantly.

Having half the league finish under .500 overall hurts the league significantly.
Having only 2 schools that can consistently make the NCAAs hurts the league.
Only 2 teams have made the NCAA's since 2011 that are currently in the conference- WSU/UNI
Going back to 08/09 it's still only at 3 teams currently in the conference - only broken up by a one off season from Indiana State (and Missouri State).
4 schools haven't been to the tournament this millennium - Missouri State, Evansville, Illinois State and Loyola.
A 5th school had one miraculous season IN 2008 but still hasn't won an NCAA game since 1971.
2 schools have never won an NCAA game as a member of the MVC.
Only three teams since ISUr in 1998 has the Arch Madness champion now been Creighton, UNI or WSU - 01 and 11 ISUb, 06 SIU and 08 Drake...Creighton - 7, UNI - 5, WSU - 1...but WSU has more regular season titles

Maybe someone other than UNI could make a consistent effort to be good and help raise the profile of the damn league. Try to raise the profile of the leauge. Go look at what has happened to the RPI's in this league the last 6 years. The bottom half of the league freaking quit trying to not be garbage. The league went from 1 or 2 teams over 200 in the RPI to multiple 300+ teams and 2 or 3 more in the 200s. That's teams not trying. That's league members f****** sabotaging it's own damn league.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 8:53 am

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Right now? WSU is better - although he just lost his All Americans

Maybe the rest of the league could step the f*** up and make the league respectable.

Having the third place team finish finish outside of the top 100 in RPI and 17-14 overall hurts the league significantly.

Having half the league finish under .500 overall hurts the league significantly.
Having only 2 schools that can consistently make the NCAAs hurts the league.
Only 2 teams have made the NCAA's since 2011 that are currently in the conference- WSU/UNI
Going back to 08/09 it's still only at 3 teams currently in the conference - only broken up by a one off season from Indiana State (and Missouri State).
4 schools haven't been to the tournament this millennium - Missouri State, Evansville, Illinois State and Loyola.
A 5th school had one miraculous season IN 2008 but still hasn't won an NCAA game since 1971.
2 schools have never won an NCAA game as a member of the MVC.
Only three teams since ISUr in 1998 has the Arch Madness champion now been Creighton, UNI or WSU - 01 and 11 ISUb, 06 SIU and 08 Drake...Creighton - 7, UNI - 5, WSU - 1...but WSU has more regular season titles

Maybe someone other than UNI could make a consistent effort to be good and help raise the profile of the damn league. Try to raise the profile of the leauge. Go look at what has happened to the RPI's in this league the last 6 years. The bottom half of the league freaking quit trying to not be garbage. The league went from 1 or 2 teams over 200 in the RPI to multiple 300+ teams and 2 or 3 more in the 200s. That's teams not trying. That's league members f****** sabotaging it's own damn league.

Totally agree with everything you said.

And THAT is why the Memphis job is a better job (and the fact it's considered a higher profile job in the eyes of the selection committee for respect in seeding/bids).

Thanks for making my point.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 9:18 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:

And THAT is why the Memphis job is a better job (and the fact it's considered a higher profile job in the eyes of the selection committee for respect in seeding/bids).

Sure.

Memphis is a better job because programs like Drake, Bradley, Illinois State, Missouri State and Evansville can't figure their own s*** out.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 9:24 am

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Sure.

Memphis is a better job because programs like Drake, Bradley, Illinois State, Missouri State and Evansville can't figure their own s*** out.

Correct, along with all mid major conferences, regardless of their members, are getting hosed now by the selection committee.
Again, you are making my argument.

Thanks.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUShox88 » April 8th, 2016, 9:29 am

Man, this stuff just gets amusing. Illinois State fan just knows everything about WSU, whether it's they're gonna be bad next year to letting everyone know where WSU falls on the Memphis pecking order.

uniftw pretty much nailed this thread shut. Memphis is a good job, easily a better job than Vandy. But it ain't Duke like a poster or two thinks it is. It's a rebuild job. It's in a conference that, outside of UConn's miracle run through the conference tournament, received 1 more bid than the Valley.

Marshall may leave someday, although at 53 the door is closing, but he's not gonna spur UCLA, NC State, and even Alabama for Memphis.

In other coaching related news, is Muller a possible candidate for Valpo? Best program in the Horizon with a lot more NCAA pedigree than his current institution.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2016, 9:34 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Sure.

Correct, along with all mid major conferences, regardless of their members, are getting hosed now by the selection committee.
Again, you are making my argument.

Thanks.

A decade ago the MVC got 4 teams in. This league had the reputation. Then half the league decided it wasn't worth it to keep trying to get better.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » April 8th, 2016, 9:46 am

It is a fascinating dynamic on this board that ~3 Illinois State fans post roughly ~80% of the provocative content whenever a glimmer of hope for some WSU misfortune appears.

I know we all definitely believe them when they add a caveat to every other post saying "Don't get me wrong, I really hope that asteroid doesn't hit your house and your children burn to death. That would be bad for property values in the neighborhood, so of course I would never hope that happens. I'm just saying (i) I believe there is a high chance your house will be hit by that asteroid, (ii) nevermind that I've been wrong about the last ~13 asteroids over the past past 5 years, this asteroid is unlike any other, (iii) if it happens, and I hope it does not, your children will die a horrible, painful death, make no mistake about it. It would be a calamity unlike any other. But again, I hope it doesn't happen. Go neighborhood!" It is not infuriating, frustrating, or otherwise perturbing to watch, rather, it is just interesting.

I've been posting on the various iterations of this board since it was hosted by the MVC (back when you had to email Mike Kern (I believe?) to register your username) 20 years ago and remember when ISUr was really a good team under Stallings. Their fans here were probably the most gracious of any "top" team for an extended period - Creighton, SIU, UNI and WSU fans have generally been less of a "good sport" about being top dog during their times at the helm (although I think many WSU and UNI posters have become more amicable leaders over the last couple years on here). The late 90s, like now, were also dark days for much of the MVC, but the vibe was certainly different since it felt like the league was generally on an upswing rather than a downslope.

That was a long, long time ago. So long that I am afraid many of the current regime of ISUr posters were barely (if at all) of an age to remember it. They certainly were not active on this board at that time. The few remaining ISUr posters who were active during those days are still held in very high regard by this Shocker fan (GoRL, et al.)

It is an unfortunate shift but these things happen. I am sure in 10 years the dynamic will have changed again, probably several times.

Finally, to keep this at least somewhat topically aligned, I am very confident Gregg Marshall will not be leaving for Memphis. There are jobs he would strongly consider. This is not one of them. That does not make it a bad opening, at all. However, Memphis can only boast marginal upgrades in a handful of areas and involves a rebuild with a fanbase which holds the loftiest of expectations. Louisville? Indiana? Those would be legitimately concerning. Memphis? No. New Mexico? No. It is a wide bridge between the higher end of conferences like the AAC, A-10 or the MWC and the bluebloods. I also think UConn would hotly dispute any claim that Memphis is the crown jewel job of that conference with no peer in sight.

I am sure there will be continued disagreement for several days before other targets emerge. Rinse and repeat, every offseason until the broken clock may finally be correct.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUShox88 » April 8th, 2016, 9:55 am

Perfectly stated and executed, Play Angry.

Spot freaking on.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball