Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall to Louisville?

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2016, 10:11 am

municup14 wrote:You know sometimes its not about the money,Marshal has made plenty of it at WSU
but its about being happy.I believe Greg is very happy where he is. :dance: :dance: :dance:

A lot of times that is worth more than money.

See Jacobson at UNI.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 21st, 2016, 10:38 am

mvcfan wrote:I wouldn't think that the OSU program would be sufficient to woo him. Bottom half program, not as important as football, etc.

More importantly his daughter is going to be a Junior, and his family now have deeper Wichita roots. However, it is known from those close to him that he is not fond of conferences who have so many schools who don't schedule competitively, and it is a good chance that WSU may have to win the Valley Tournament (especially a good possibility next year), to go the NCAA because the league is not considered strong, even though we know how competitive the top half of the Valley can be.

In other words, One Bid Conferences are not attractive.

At OSU, money would not be a problem. Think T. Boone Pickens.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 21st, 2016, 10:43 am

municup14 wrote:You know sometimes its not about the money,Marshal has made plenty of it at WSU
but its about being happy.I believe Greg is very happy where he is. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Several times, Coach Marshall has quoted his mentor.

The quote goes like this:

"Don't mess with happy."
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2016, 10:57 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:

"Don't mess with happy."

As an outsider watching Marshall coach, watching his pressers, reading his quotes, reading stories that "may or may not be accurate" I do start to wonder how happy he really is.

He wakes up, goes through his day, and falls asleep thinking the conference he's in has it out for him. They want them to lose during the regular season to keep it close. There is a conspiracy to keep WSU from winning in St Louis, Elgin hates him, etc... Is he truly happy at WSU or is he happy at WSU because they are paying his bills at the current time.

As an outsider it's tough to read. He never genuinely comes across as happy.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » March 21st, 2016, 10:58 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:

"Don't mess with happy."

There's another that goes something like, "how many hamburgers can a man eat?" or "a man can only eat so many hamburgers." Something along those lines in reference to money.

I think we have 3G for at least as long as Maggie is in HS. That also gives him time to see where Wichita might be headed in regards to football and if that creates anything else. Also gives the conference a couple of years to get their crap together.

Lets also not forget that he doesn't want to be coaching at 70. He's probably only in for another 5 to 10 years. Does he want to spend that starting over somewhere? He's not going to take a rebuild (OSU).
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rambler63 » March 21st, 2016, 3:15 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:What? And leave the Valley? Why would he ever do that?

Brad Stevens left Butler after they went from the Horizon League to the A10 to the Big East. And he was a native of Indianapolis, making well into a million, with a bottomless pit of institutional goodwill at Butler that was akin to a lifetime contract.

But don't let any of that stop you from making gratuitous cheap shots at the MVC. At some point, the derision and bellyaching becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shocktheheart » March 21st, 2016, 7:04 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
mvcfan wrote:I wouldn't think that the OSU program would be sufficient to woo him. Bottom half program, not as important as football, etc.

More importantly his daughter is going to be a Junior, and his family now have deeper Wichita roots. However, it is known from those close to him that he is not fond of conferences who have so many schools who don't schedule competitively, and it is a good chance that WSU may have to win the Valley Tournament (especially a good possibility next year), to go the NCAA because the league is not considered strong, even though we know how competitive the top half of the Valley can be.

In other words, One Bid Conferences are not attractive.

At OSU, money would not be a problem. Think T. Boone Pickens.

Brad Underwood to Oklahoma State
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » March 21st, 2016, 8:24 pm

Rambler63 wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:What? And leave the Valley? Why would he ever do that?

Brad Stevens left Butler after they went from the Horizon League to the A10 to the Big East. And he was a native of Indianapolis, making well into a million, with a bottomless pit of institutional goodwill at Butler that was akin to a lifetime contract.

But don't let any of that stop you from making gratuitous cheap shots at the MVC. At some point, the derision and bellyaching becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If Marshall goes to the Lakers I won't blame the Valley.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » March 21st, 2016, 9:29 pm

bryce wrote:That's the rumor in the Lou if Cards get probation and Pitino leaves.

I heard Jake was the favorite for Louisville. Marshall going to NC.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » March 21st, 2016, 9:33 pm

uniftw wrote:Elgin hates him, etc...

Elgin doesn't hate Marshall. Elgrin hates WSU.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball