Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Postby Play Angry » April 8th, 2016, 9:46 am

It is a fascinating dynamic on this board that ~3 Illinois State fans post roughly ~80% of the provocative content whenever a glimmer of hope for some WSU misfortune appears.

I know we all definitely believe them when they add a caveat to every other post saying "Don't get me wrong, I really hope that asteroid doesn't hit your house and your children burn to death. That would be bad for property values in the neighborhood, so of course I would never hope that happens. I'm just saying (i) I believe there is a high chance your house will be hit by that asteroid, (ii) nevermind that I've been wrong about the last ~13 asteroids over the past past 5 years, this asteroid is unlike any other, (iii) if it happens, and I hope it does not, your children will die a horrible, painful death, make no mistake about it. It would be a calamity unlike any other. But again, I hope it doesn't happen. Go neighborhood!" It is not infuriating, frustrating, or otherwise perturbing to watch, rather, it is just interesting.

I've been posting on the various iterations of this board since it was hosted by the MVC (back when you had to email Mike Kern (I believe?) to register your username) 20 years ago and remember when ISUr was really a good team under Stallings. Their fans here were probably the most gracious of any "top" team for an extended period - Creighton, SIU, UNI and WSU fans have generally been less of a "good sport" about being top dog during their times at the helm (although I think many WSU and UNI posters have become more amicable leaders over the last couple years on here). The late 90s, like now, were also dark days for much of the MVC, but the vibe was certainly different since it felt like the league was generally on an upswing rather than a downslope.

That was a long, long time ago. So long that I am afraid many of the current regime of ISUr posters were barely (if at all) of an age to remember it. They certainly were not active on this board at that time. The few remaining ISUr posters who were active during those days are still held in very high regard by this Shocker fan (GoRL, et al.)

It is an unfortunate shift but these things happen. I am sure in 10 years the dynamic will have changed again, probably several times.

Finally, to keep this at least somewhat topically aligned, I am very confident Gregg Marshall will not be leaving for Memphis. There are jobs he would strongly consider. This is not one of them. That does not make it a bad opening, at all. However, Memphis can only boast marginal upgrades in a handful of areas and involves a rebuild with a fanbase which holds the loftiest of expectations. Louisville? Indiana? Those would be legitimately concerning. Memphis? No. New Mexico? No. It is a wide bridge between the higher end of conferences like the AAC, A-10 or the MWC and the bluebloods. I also think UConn would hotly dispute any claim that Memphis is the crown jewel job of that conference with no peer in sight.

I am sure there will be continued disagreement for several days before other targets emerge. Rinse and repeat, every offseason until the broken clock may finally be correct.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUShox88 » April 8th, 2016, 9:55 am

Perfectly stated and executed, Play Angry.

Spot freaking on.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 9:56 am

Play Angry wrote:It is a fascinating dynamic on this board that ~3 Illinois State fans post roughly ~80% of the provocative content whenever a glimmer of hope for some WSU misfortune appears.

I know we all definitely believe them when they add a caveat to every other post saying "Don't get me wrong, I really hope that asteroid doesn't hit your house and your children burn to death. That would be bad for property values in the neighborhood, so of course I would never hope that happens. I'm just saying (i) I believe there is a high chance your house will be hit by that asteroid, (ii) nevermind that I've been wrong about the last ~13 asteroids over the past past 5 years, this asteroid is unlike any other, (iii) if it happens, and I hope it does not, your children will die a horrible, painful death, make no mistake about it. It would be a calamity unlike any other. But again, I hope it doesn't happen. Go neighborhood!" It is not infuriating, frustrating, or otherwise perturbing to watch, rather, it is just interesting.

I've been posting on the various iterations of this board since it was hosted by the MVC (back when you had to email Mike Kern (I believe?) to register your username) 20 years ago and remember when ISUr was really a good team under Stallings. Their fans here were probably the most gracious of any "top" team for an extended period - Creighton, SIU, UNI and WSU fans have generally been less of a "good sport" about being top dog during their times at the helm (although I think many WSU and UNI posters have become more amicable leaders over the last couple years on here). The late 90s, like now, were also dark days for much of the MVC, but the vibe was certainly different since it felt like the league was generally on an upswing rather than a downslope.

That was a long, long time ago. So long that I am afraid many of the current regime of ISUr posters were barely (if at all) of an age to remember it. They certainly were not active on this board at that time. The few remaining ISUr posters who were active during those days are still held in very high regard by this Shocker fan (GoRL, et al.)

It is an unfortunate shift but these things happen. I am sure in 10 years the dynamic will have changed again, probably several times.

Finally, to keep this at least somewhat topically aligned, I am very confident Gregg Marshall will not be leaving for Memphis. There are jobs he would strongly consider. This is not one of them. That does not make it a bad opening, at all. However, Memphis can only boast marginal upgrades in a handful of areas and involves a rebuild with a fanbase which holds the loftiest of expectations. Louisville? Indiana? Those would be legitimately concerning. Memphis? No. New Mexico? No. It is a wide bridge between the higher end of conferences like the AAC, A-10 or the MWC and the bluebloods. I also think UConn would hotly dispute any claim that Memphis is the crown jewel job of that conference with no peer in sight.

I am sure there will be continued disagreement for several days before other targets emerge. Rinse and repeat, every offseason until the broken clock may finally be correct.

How is my posting poor or ISUr fans in general? Use some intellect if you have any...

My comments were two fold:

1. The combination of our conference being down and the clear intention of the selection committee to ignore at large mid majors makes a Memphis more appealing than it might otherwise be.

2. Losing Marshall would hurt our conference even more than it already is. I don't want him gone at all. He is entertaining to watch on the sidelines and improves the level of this conference.

If you understood my two points, then you would not be posting and being critical of myself. Thanks for being a true delusional WSU fan with what I would assume to be a WSU diploma.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » April 8th, 2016, 10:04 am

What a beautiful unintentional illustration filled with personal insults.

Carry on.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 10:12 am

Play Angry wrote:What a beautiful unintentional illustration filled with personal insults.

Carry on.

You started it with your comment about how ISUr posters are awful today vs back in the day when Muller was around. And yes I am old enough and was around for the 97/98 years.

So don't expect to be critical of me without some sort of defensive push back. This is a two way street.

My points with uniftw are valid. It's unfortunate for you WSU fans that a Memphis is a better job due to things outside of your control, however I don't want him to leave. If you understood that from the get-go, you don't make your points about me to begin with.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ISUBirds89 » April 8th, 2016, 10:24 am

Wichita fans online have their heads so far up their own asses they are blinded by common sense. Multiple people have pointed out how Memphis is a better job. Does that mean Marshall will leave? No. He is a hot commodity and their will be speculation at every quality job opening. Get over it.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Play Angry » April 8th, 2016, 10:29 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Play Angry wrote:What a beautiful unintentional illustration filled with personal insults.

Carry on.

You started it with your comment about how ISUr posters are awful today vs back in the day when Muller was around. And yes I am old enough and was around for the 97/98 years.

So don't expect to be critical of me without some sort of defensive push back. This is a two way street.

My points with uniftw are valid. It's unfortunate for you WSU fans that a Memphis is a better job due to things outside of your control, however I don't want him to leave. If you understood that from the get-go, you don't make your points about me to begin with.

I understand everything you are saying. There are certainly no comprehension issues.

I "started this" [nevermind that it was in response to 4 (now 5) posts by 2 ISUr fans confidently asserting that Memphis is absolutely a better job than WSU, all this morning (thank goodness they are quick before the headline dissipates), which IMO is 100% incorrect] by observing that yourself and a couple other ISUr fans tend to provide the lion's share of the ammo for all things anti-WSU on this board. Is that a sensitive issue? I never stated your posting was "poor", that ISUr posters are "awful" or any of the other imaginary, fabricated insults you are pretending to respond to. Please search my post and quote those lines if I am remembering incorrectly.

Meanwhile, your response included gems such as:

Use some intellect if you have any

Why stoop so low, over and over again?

I have an honest question. You do not have to answer, of course, but it would be an interesting exercise to see the estimate versus the actuality. What percentage of your 387 posts on here would you guess have involved Wichita State? How many have addressed, say, topics directly concerning Drake?

Like I said above, it is a fascinating dynamic which preoccupies a handful of ISUr posters here.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 10:44 am

Play Angry wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Carry on.

I understand everything you are saying. There are certainly no comprehension issues.

I "started this" [nevermind that it was in response to 4 (now 5) posts by 2 ISUr fans confidently asserting that Memphis is absolutely a better job than WSU, all this morning (thank goodness they are quick before the headline dissipates), which IMO is 100% incorrect] by observing that yourself and a couple other ISUr fans tend to provide the lion's share of the ammo for all things anti-WSU on this board. Is that a sensitive issue? I never stated your posting was "poor", that ISUr posters are "awful" or any of the other imaginary, fabricated insults you are pretending to respond to. Please search my post and quote those lines if I am remembering incorrectly.

Meanwhile, your response included gems such as:

Use some intellect if you have any

Why stoop so low, over and over again?

I have an honest question. You do not have to answer, of course, but it would be an interesting exercise to see the estimate versus the actuality. What percentage of your 387 posts on here would you guess have involved Wichita State? How many have addressed, say, topics directly concerning Drake?

Like I said above, it is a fascinating dynamic which preoccupies a handful of ISUr posters here.

You indirectly were referencing the poor approach to the current ISUr posters on here in your original post. There is no doubt in my mind that was the purpose with your entire post. That original purpose caused my response to be derogatory towards you as it was critical to the posting of the current group of ISUr posters on this message board.

As for your last question - probably 1/3 of my posts towards WSU. However, you have to understand a few things...

1. WSU fans account for the majority of the posters and thus the posts about that specific team on this site - including the crazy spew that Championz posted. So the conversation will naturally move into the Shocker team direction.

2. WSU is the cream of the crop in this conference right now, so to discuss a 10th place Drake, for example, versus a WSU who is conversation worthy makes sense. This is like someone saying "Why wouldn't you talk about Chicago State? All of your discussion has been about North Carolina." Well duh Chicago St. sucks so there is nothing a random fan would say about them....but UNC is a trending topic to discuss within college basketball.

There is a reason Twitter has "trending" topics. In the world of MVC College Basketball - WSU is trending.

Does that answer your question?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 8th, 2016, 10:46 am

ISUBirds89 wrote:Wichita fans online have their heads so far up their own asses they are blinded by common sense. Multiple people have pointed out how Memphis is a better job. Does that mean Marshall will leave? No. He is a hot commodity and their will be speculation at every quality job opening. Get over it.

Logic doesn't work. There is a delusional sense of elitism in Wichita, KS.

I do think WSU is a good job, but with the current standing of the MVC and the direction of the Selection Committee in choosing P5 teams on the bubble....Memphis is a better job.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUShox88 » April 8th, 2016, 1:11 pm

It's mind-boggling to me that certain individuals whine and complain about generalizations of them or their fanbases and then do the exact same thing themselves.

I've never seen a kettle so black in my entire life. Pathetic.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball