Marshall to Louisville? Now Memphis?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby bryce » March 19th, 2016, 3:02 pm

That's the rumor in the Lou if Cards get probation and Pitino leaves.
bryce
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marshall to Louisville?

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 19th, 2016, 3:26 pm

What? And leave the Valley? Why would he ever do that?
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Stickboy46 » March 19th, 2016, 4:59 pm

bryce wrote:That's the rumor in the Lou if Cards get probation and Pitino leaves.

You mean like Marshall to UCLA, or Marshall to Missouri, or Marshall to Alabama? Every year, same story, except this year Marshall is already a Top 10 coach when it comes to pay.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acepurple84 » March 19th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Why in the world would he leave for the headaches of Louisville. He makes good money at WSU. He is the power coach in It cant be the money either.
acepurple84
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Rollbird5 » March 19th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Curious, does anybody know how much he got paid this year after his bonuses? His salary is in the $3 millions right? Good money and good program I doubt he would leave after signing his extension last year.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » March 19th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Curious, does anybody know how much he got paid this year after his bonuses? His salary is in the $3 millions right? Good money and good program I doubt he would leave after signing his extension last year.

It was a 7 year rolling contract. Base Salary was 3 million the first three years, 3.5 million the last 4. Incentives and bonuses I think were up to 750k or another million. I think he is sitting at about half of those . So 3.4 to 3.5 million. That's not counting any of the non monetary perks.

I really doubt he bolts 1 year after WSU put that together for him.

Also remember his daughter is in HS here, and his wife loves it here. Having those two happy is worth a lot of $$$
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 19th, 2016, 8:35 pm

To be fair he is losing quite a bit with VanVleet, Baker, and Wessel. Also Louisville is one of those high profile schools. It isn't always about money. Going from the Valley to the ACC , and from WSU to Louisville is a huge step up in stature. The only one of the schools that he has been tied to that has the stature of Louisville is UCLA. The difference is LA doesn't seem like his sort of town. He is more of a southern boy. So Louisville would make a bit of sense.

With that being said. I highly doubt he would leave for a school that could possibly be going on probation. And for the good of WSU and the Valley I hope he wouldn't leave.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » March 19th, 2016, 8:43 pm

You are correct it's not all about money and that's one of my points. WSU showed a lot of gratitude towards him last year in the way they handled the Alabama thing. They went above and beyond what Marshall expected. The wife and kids like it here. Gregg has great relationships with some of the power donors here.

Those types of things won't just come to you because you are in a power conference.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ISUBirds89 » March 19th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Marshall will leave only for a true power job imo. His buyout is very friendly. This would be the year to jump if the right job came open though.

Not predicting or expecting him to leave.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 19th, 2016, 11:31 pm

Try this on for size: Which of the MVC school head coaches would like the WSU job if it were to open?
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball