Marty Simmons interviewed at Wright St

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » April 3rd, 2016, 10:10 am

I saw a Jeff Goodman tweet stating that Marty Simmons interviewd at Wright St. That sure seems out of left field.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marty Simmons interviewed at Wright St

Postby Wufan » April 3rd, 2016, 11:21 am

MVCfans wrote:I saw a Jeff Goodman tweet stating that Marty Simmons interviewd at Wright St. That sure seems out of left field.

Assistant?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » April 3rd, 2016, 5:05 pm

For head coach apparently he is in the final 3 for the job. With the coach for San Diego State and Florida Gulf Coast. I for one hope he gets it. Not sure what is going on but something is.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby achrist70 » April 3rd, 2016, 7:11 pm

This would be a bad move for Marty, they fired a guy who consistently won 20+ games (why I really don't know). Apparently Wright State thinks that they are some basketball power house.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » April 3rd, 2016, 8:01 pm

WSU hiring Marty would have been a ridiculous move on their part. They fired a guy with a 53% winning percentage and no NIT/NCAA appearances in 6 years. Why would they hire a guy who has a 51% and no NIT/NCAA appearances in 9?

Here's the statement released by WSU's AD the day they let Donlon go. Change Billy to Marty and the school/conference and you can say the same about UE, IMO.

“Billy has been a fine ambassador of the university and has demonstrated concern for the welfare of our student-athletes. However, we simply have not achieved the level of performance that I feel our fans deserve and that I expect. I believe we have the best fans and facilities in the Horizon League, yet our fan engagement and overall success on the court has waned.”
“We aspire to be a top 100 program, but have not reached that level in the last six years. These are not unrealistic expectations. We’ve been there before, and most of the other Horizon League schools have achieved at that level since. I want us to return there. Moreover, we have no NCAA appearances, NIT appearances, or victories over ranked opponents in the last six years. We need these types of achievements to energize our fan base.”
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PantherSigEp » April 3rd, 2016, 8:06 pm

Ace75 wrote:For head coach apparently he is in the final 3 for the job. With the coach for South Dakota State and Florida Gulf Coast. I for one hope he gets it. Not sure what is going on but something is.

I think you confused your SDSU's. Nagy from South Dakota State is the name I've seen as the front runner.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » April 3rd, 2016, 8:15 pm

It doesn't seem like much of a step up for Nagy either and he has been at South Dakota State forever. Maybe he just wants to get paid by SDSU.

edit: looks like has taken to the job. Must be more to it than I know as a casual observer.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » April 4th, 2016, 3:51 am

AndShock wrote:It doesn't seem like much of a step up for Nagy either and he has been at South Dakota State forever. Maybe he just wants to get paid by SDSU.

edit: looks like has taken to the job. Must be more to it than I know as a casual observer.

Maybe Dayton OH is preferred over Brookings SD???
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace75 » April 4th, 2016, 6:03 am

PantherSigEp wrote:
Ace75 wrote:For head coach apparently he is in the final 3 for the job. With the coach for South Dakota State and Florida Gulf Coast. I for one hope he gets it. Not sure what is going on but something is.

I think you confused your SDSU's. Nagy from South Dakota State is the name I've seen as the front runner.

Yes your right my bad.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby squirrel » April 4th, 2016, 8:09 am

Many ADs just want to make a hire of their own, even at the expense of establishing an impossible standard. Their AD inherited Brad Brownell, and he hired Donlon, a guy who has not won the league in 6 years, though he has had 3 top 3 finishes, including 2nd place this year. So the next guy basically has to build on that and win the league right away.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball