Marty Simmons interviewed at Wright St

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marty Simmons interviewed at Wright St

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » April 6th, 2016, 8:48 am

uniftw wrote:Discussing the now open SDSU job on another site I threw some quick thoughts together about Marty...feel free to correct what you don't like about it

Wow. I wish I could throw together that many words quickly! I would have made term papers a breeze. :D

A few minor things as others have pointed out, but overall a thorough analysis.

Unfortunately men's basketball is our one revenue sport, so all our athletic eggs are in that basket so to speak. The new practice facility and brand new arena were supposed to "fix" recruiting issues and make it possible to get back to the NCAAs.

Last 4 years: practice facilities, arena, new assistant coaches, weaker Valley (without Creighton), and talent (plenty of accolades the last 2 years). Really the only thing left to examine is the head coach.

And to further illustrate your scheduling point, check out the SOS column now in a historical context:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/evansville/

2015-16 was the weakest schedule in over 20 years, and 2014-15 was the 3rd weakest. The schedule was put together to amass a gaudy number of wins and hope the committee and fans would be fooled. It almost worked to achieve an NIT berth, but a weaker than usual Valley was an unlucky break.

IMO, the biggest eye-opener for fans the last 2 years has been the handling of number #50. His statistics have declined the last 3 years, while others like J Brown and Brzoja improved. That's when the fans began questioning things. It seems unfair to say, but you have to confront the brutal facts. It is hard to separate the coach, his system, and his handling of #50's playing time.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Re: Marty Simmons interviewed at Wright St

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball