PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Transfer out

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2016, 11:48 am

On thing I find interesting reading that is the idea that they truly believe 2007-2008 wasn't a fluke.

It's like they completely ignoring literally every single year in their history outside of 1968-1971 and 2008.

Only 4 coaches in 110 years of basketball have a win % better than .500, and 3 of those 4 were gone within one recruiting cycle. The only one that wasn't was Maury John (1959-1971). The other three are Keno, Forddy Anderson - 1946/47 and 1947/48, and Ossie Solem 1922/23-1924/25.

Phelps has the 7th best win % all time in Drake history (27 coaches).

Outside of the Maury John years Drake is 984-1298 all time - 43.1%
Just 29 seasons, in 97, over .500 outside of the John years, and only 4 since 1986, but only 1 of those seasons was more than 2 games over .500

I think Drake fans absolutely should demand better and should accept being terrible, but reading that 08 wasn't a fluke is kind of funny to me given the true history
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » April 15th, 2016, 12:00 pm

There's no doubt that 2007-08 was a fluke, but it was also set up by 4 years of Tom Davis laying a foundation. That team was good, but not 28 win good. But, Tom Davis clearly had an idea when he stepped down that he left Keno on good shape.

The next hire, Mark Phelps, destroyed everything the Davis' had done in one game. The AD made a terrible hire at a critical juncture in Drake's basketball history, and has never acknowledged the fact . She has blamed virtually everything/everybody else.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uniftw » April 20th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Robbie Knar is leaving UNI seeking more PT.

Can't blame him. He was a good student, a damn good kid, from a great family. Really hope he lands somewhere good and he puts a show on for a couple years
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 20th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Fun Fact: Robbie Knar's Dad played at Navy with David Robinson.

You're welcome for the totally irrelevant info.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » April 20th, 2016, 5:58 pm

BCPanther wrote:Fun Fact: Robbie Knar's Dad played at Navy with David Robinson.

You're welcome for the totally irrelevant info.

I love me a good fun fact, so thank you :Cheers:
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » April 20th, 2016, 6:42 pm

So that makes 2 scholarships that Jacobson is trying to fill.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 21st, 2016, 8:05 am

PantherSigEp wrote:So that makes 2 scholarships that Jacobson is trying to fill.

I think we see a grad trasnfer and that other one goes to Dailey or it's banked.

There are a few guards the next two years that UNI really, really wants - Brad Davison out of Maple Grove and AJ Green from Cedar Falls (Coach Green's son).

Talking with BC yesterday I was trying to figure out why go so hard after Green and Davison (who are both real good) when Spencer and McCloud are both PGs. He can explain it better since he follows the recruiting a bit more than I, but it sounds like having 4 PGs on the roster would allow Davison (6'3) and McCloud to play off the ball a bit more and use quickness/size a bit more.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 21st, 2016, 9:07 am

uniftw wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:So that makes 2 scholarships that Jacobson is trying to fill.

I think we see a grad trasnfer and that other one goes to Dailey or it's banked.

There are a few guards the next two years that UNI really, really wants - Brad Davison out of Maple Grove and AJ Green from Cedar Falls (Coach Green's son).

Talking with BC yesterday I was trying to figure out why go so hard after Green and Davison (who are both real good) when Spencer and McCloud are both PGs. He can explain it better since he follows the recruiting a bit more than I, but it sounds like having 4 PGs on the roster would allow Davison (6'3) and McCloud to play off the ball a bit more and use quickness/size a bit more.

Spencer Haldeman and Davison could play off the ball then, McCloud and Green are true Point Guards. Jake has kind of figured out in the past couple of years that having a combo guard at the two fits what he wants to do rather than a true off guard.

UNI is pretty well set in the post for the next few years with Koch and Carlson having two years left, McDonnell and Dahl as RS Freshmen this year and Austin Phyfe coming in next year. The focus is going to be on wings and guards. I don't think he'll take another post until 2019.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Valleyball » May 1st, 2016, 4:05 pm

Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball