Transfer out

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer out

Postby glm38 » April 13th, 2016, 9:59 am

Purely from a talent standpoint I would put the Bears right behind the Shockers. I know I'm a Homer but we return some good players and have some impressive pieces coming in.

My big worry is we have too many players and not enough playing time. At this point I have no faith in Lusk's ability to integrate that talent and pick effective combinations of players. I hope I'm wrong. I'm sick of losing and mediocrity.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » April 13th, 2016, 10:06 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:
What I find curious is the assumption that ISUr returning players are clearly better than MSU's, because the stats just don't support that.

The stat that matters most is winning and the Redbird's 4 returning starters were 12-6 in conference which tied them for 2nd while the Bear's 4 were 8-10 which put them in the play-in game.

You can play that card; of course that discounts anyone who graduated and/or has left and the whole concept of a team sport including coaching, but it is a reasonable argument. Again I didn't say our guys were clearly better, I just argued the point that I didn't see it as cut and dried they were worse. I could argue that late in the year when both teams were better established, who won the head to head game, but then that would discount the earlier win by ISU and some of the same points about total team play. Both teams have returning talent, it's always a fun argument about who is better. I like your guys, I like our guys; your coach ain't so great, our coach has been terrible. Should be an interesting year.

You do have a talented bunch coming back and some very promising newcomers. The arrow is obviously pointing up at MSU. It's hard though to compare anything at this stage until Muller rounds out the roster in the next few weeks.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » April 13th, 2016, 10:16 am

The whole issue of how much help does one get immediately from incoming players is always a moving target. We got a lot last year because they had to and thankfully some of them proved capable. Now some of those same players could be challenged by new ones, returning guys[Ruder], or others who improve. I think we actually have too many potential contributors because in the past that just confuses Lusk and he gets inpatient and indecisive with his lineups and rotations. He's done best when the options are few but decent. But it's better to have talent than not and it's better to have a lot than a little. Not sure exactly where we fall in that spectrum, but it's better than a little.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 13th, 2016, 5:44 pm

Redhawk wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:
What I find curious is the assumption that ISUr returning players are clearly better than MSU's, because the stats just don't support that.

The stat that matters most is winning and the Redbird's 4 returning starters were 12-6 in conference which tied them for 2nd while the Bear's 4 were 8-10 which put them in the play-in game.

I like this argument because both teams return their core team minus one key starter. To me, that says MSU needs to improve quite a bit to catch up. I like the Bears roster, and I like the potential for them to pass up ISUr, but unless Mueller plans on leaving 5 scholarships open, I'm not ready to put MSU above ISUr or SIU for that matter.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » April 14th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 11m11 minutes ago

Drake 7-foot transfer Dominik Olejniczak told ESPN his top choices right now are California, Colorado, Florida, FSU and Ole Miss.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 14th, 2016, 1:45 pm

shocktheheart wrote:Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 11m11 minutes ago

Drake 7-foot transfer Dominik Olejniczak told ESPN his top choices right now are California, Colorado, Florida, FSU and Ole Miss.

So he had someone in his ear telling him "there are bigger programs that want you" without one in mind specifically and he is reweighing all of his options.

Interesting
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » April 14th, 2016, 8:28 pm

uniftw wrote:

So he had someone in his ear telling him "there are bigger programs that want you" without one in mind specifically and he is reweighing all of his options.

Interesting

Word is that it was a Polish agent that got to his parents. From what I've heard, the kid absolutely loved it at Drake and did not want to leave.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2016, 7:29 am

DUBulldog wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Interesting

Word is that it was a Polish agent that got to his parents. From what I've heard, the kid absolutely loved it at Drake and did not want to leave.

I guess if that's the case what is he going to gain by playing at Ole Miss over Drake, other than not being a part of the mess that is Drake basketball, which he didn't seem to have an issue with?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » April 15th, 2016, 8:35 am

I guess if that's the case what is he going to gain by playing at Ole Miss over Drake, other than not being a part of the mess that is Drake basketball, which he didn't seem to have an issue with?

That is a cheap shot at Drake and we wonder why we squabble on here.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2016, 8:51 am

UEACES80 wrote:

That is a cheap shot at Drake and we wonder why we squabble on here.

Nothing about that is a cheap shot.

They literally had a town hall meeting the other night with the biggest boosters over how shitty the program is.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /83033256/

Frustrated supporters of the Drake men's basketball program gathered Wednesday evening, hoping for assurance from coach Ray Giacoletti that things would turn around.

At one point, Giacoletti stood in front of a crowd of 60-plus and told them, “It’s on me. And if we don’t get it done, it’ll be on the next guy.”

They were all part of a semi-private meeting inside Drake’s Courtside Club. Most were there because they received an invitation from Giacoletti. The Register was in attendance after receiving emails about the meeting from Bulldog boosters.

The meeting's purpose was to discuss the future of a team that finished 7-24 last season and recently lost one of its most promising players, Dominik Olejniczak, who decided to transfer.

Olejniczak’s former teammates sat in the back of the room, while people talked for more than an hour about the Bulldogs’ struggles.

“I’m sure it’s rare,” freshman forward Casey Schlatter said of the situation. “We just came to support coach.

The confidence of the Bulldog faithful was shaken, but there were no signs of acrimony. Instead, the event took on a cathartic tone, with several people tracing their disappointment back to three decades earlier when the program began to slip.

Questions ranged from how Drake reacts to the shot clock to using a more up-tempo style of play.

Someone asked if there was a way to help post players better handle entry passes under the basket.

And there were questions about Olejniczak, a 7-foot sophomore-to-be who left Drake in hopes of landing with a more high-profile program. Multiple sources have indicated to the Register that Olejniczak’s departure was prompted by third-party influences outside of the university. Second-leading scorer Kale Abrahamson has also transferred out of the program.

“We all could have run,” Giacoletti said of his coaching staff and players. “At some point, you have to draw a line in the sand and be proud to have 'Drake' across your chest.”

Schlatter echoed that.

“We have guys who want to be here,” he said. “Dom’s got to do what Dom thinks he needs to do, but we’re not going to sit here and sulk on it.

“We’re going to do our job and take care of business here.”

Eventually in the meeting, the donors and boosters began to sound more battle-scarred than bitter.

A woman who identified herself as a former Drake cheerleader looked to Giacoletti and said, “please, please, please win.”

A man across the room said he wished the Bulldogs could at least finish sixth in the Missouri Valley Conference standings (presumably because that would keep Drake out of a play-in game at the league tournament in St. Louis).

Giacoletti credited athletic director Sandy Hatfield Clubb with the building of a new practice facility (which was completed two years ago), and told the crowd his current roster is made up of players who could be successful on the court and in the classroom.

“The last piece is obviously the biggest piece,” Giacoletti said. “And that’s winning.”

Hatfield Clubb and Drake president Earl Martin were also in attendance, as well as women’s basketball coach Jennie Baranczyk.

All three spoke in support of Giacoletti, and all three drew applause.

Hatfield Clubb reaffirmed her belief that Drake would not compromise its academic beliefs and institutional integrity.

She also asked supporters to believe a little bit longer and added that if Giacoletti can’t do it, “Who do you think is going to do it?”
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball