Will your team be better or worse next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Will your team be better or worse next year?

Postby BuBrave2006 » April 13th, 2016, 11:03 am

Bradley should be much better IMO. Good (not great) recruits coming in, solid players coming back, two of which made the All-Freshman team. We will be much deeper next year as well and won't have to play our starters 35+ minutes and may be able to actually play consistently in the last 8 minutes of games. Still a year or two a way, but optimistically, we should be able to compete to not play on Thursday next year.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby wgslaw » April 13th, 2016, 3:26 pm

WSU has not lost this much talent since 2011-2012 season ended. That team finished 16-2 in the Valley and was a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Lost the following year were then seniors Greg Stultz (7’ center), all conference, Joe Ragland (PG), all conference, Toure Murray (SG), all defense, Ben Smith (SF), all defense and David Kyles (SG). All these guys played for years in Europe except for Murray who bounced back and forth between the NBA and the development league. Next year I guess you could say the team took a step back as it started as a 9 seed in the NCAA tournament before losing in the final four. WSU will have an absolute boat load of talent in 2016-2017-probably the most I have seen. I would suggest caution in predicting any demise for WSU in 2016-2017.
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BuBrave2006 » April 13th, 2016, 3:44 pm

wgslaw wrote:WSU has not lost this much talent since 2011-2012 season ended. That team finished 16-2 in the Valley and was a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Lost the following year were then seniors Greg Stultz (7’ center), all conference, Joe Ragland (PG), all conference, Toure Murray (SG), all defense, Ben Smith (SF), all defense and David Kyles (SG). All these guys played for years in Europe except for Murray who bounced back and forth between the NBA and the development league. Next year I guess you could say the team took a step back as it started as a 9 seed in the NCAA tournament before losing in the final four. WSU will have an absolute boat load of talent in 2016-2017-probably the most I have seen. I would suggest caution in predicting any demise for WSU in 2016-2017.

So what you are implying is that this incoming 2016 class has as much talent as the players that came in 12-13 with Early, Armstead, FVV and Baker?? Sure they they lost a ton of talent that year but they also had three all Americans and a fifth year transfer PG starter coming in for the first time. I highly doubt Wichita will have that kind of talent coming in next season.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » April 13th, 2016, 4:28 pm

I feel the Bears will definitely be better. How much better is the question. We should be to 2 or 3. I have a sick feeling our coach will have difficulty integrating and getting the most out of his players. And that we'll be just good enough to escape the play in game.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 13th, 2016, 6:29 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
wgslaw wrote:WSU has not lost this much talent since 2011-2012 season ended. That team finished 16-2 in the Valley and was a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Lost the following year were then seniors Greg Stultz (7’ center), all conference, Joe Ragland (PG), all conference, Toure Murray (SG), all defense, Ben Smith (SF), all defense and David Kyles (SG). All these guys played for years in Europe except for Murray who bounced back and forth between the NBA and the development league. Next year I guess you could say the team took a step back as it started as a 9 seed in the NCAA tournament before losing in the final four. WSU will have an absolute boat load of talent in 2016-2017-probably the most I have seen. I would suggest caution in predicting any demise for WSU in 2016-2017.

So what you are implying is that this incoming 2016 class has as much talent as the players that came in 12-13 with Early, Armstead, FVV and Baker?? Sure they they lost a ton of talent that year but they also had three all Americans and a fifth year transfer PG starter coming in for the first time. I highly doubt Wichita will have that kind of talent coming in next season.

I don't think we have the equivalent of the four listed above coming in, but:

Wills is a top 10 JUCO forward, like Early.
Allen is a highly regarded D-I starter that transferred from a top 25 P5 school, like Armstead.
Keyser is a borderline top 100 recruit, like VanVleet.
Reaves is a long, skilled under the radar recruit from a small rural school, like Baker.

Smith is a top 20 JUCO guard, like Wiggins.

Then there's Shamet.

I'm not predicting a final four, but there are several similarities to the 2012-13 team.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby wgslaw » April 14th, 2016, 2:57 pm

"So what you are implying is that this incoming 2016 class has as much talent as the players that came in 12-13 with Early, Armstead, FVV and Baker?? Sure they they lost a ton of talent that year but they also had three all Americans and a fifth year transfer PG starter coming in for the first time. I highly doubt Wichita will have that kind of talent coming in next season."

No, what I am saying is that the only returner who started was Carl Hall. This team returns Morris, Nurger and Barney at center, Brown and McDuffie at SF, Kelly and Hamilton at PF, Shamet and Allen at SG and Frankamp at PG. That is a lot of size and talent. If you watched the NCAA games with Vanderbilt, Arizona, and Miami, these kids at 3,4, and 5 can board and d-up with anybody and they are no longer Freshmen and Sophmores. None are seniors.

Incoming players added to the mix include Willis (9th rated JC player in the country) who will probably play PF and some center depending on match ups. I think he is a little bigger and better version of Carter. Also Keyser (tremendous athlete who was the PG at Brewster last year) who will probably play SG. Smith (very quick Florida Juco PG) and Reaves (6'5 Freshman PG who led the nation in scoring). Marshall thinks Smith, Keyser and Willis will get minutes. Reaves is very talented but just a kid and hard to predict in the short term. Take a look at the mix tapes for these players.

As to the loss of RB, Shamet started at SG when FVV was out and was regarded by other players as the best frosh before his broke his foot 3 games into the season and a budding All American by Marshall. That says something since McDuffie was the freshman of the year in the conference and regarded in the top 30 for the year nation wide. They will be fine at SG. PG could be an issue and if Smith doesn't perform then look for Shamet to move to point. This team will be very good and by tournament time could be very, very good.
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 14th, 2016, 3:53 pm

wgslaw wrote:"So what you are implying is that this incoming 2016 class has as much talent as the players that came in 12-13 with Early, Armstead, FVV and Baker?? Sure they they lost a ton of talent that year but they also had three all Americans and a fifth year transfer PG starter coming in for the first time. I highly doubt Wichita will have that kind of talent coming in next season."

No, what I am saying is that the only returner who started was Carl Hall. This team returns Morris, Nurger and Barney at center, Brown and McDuffie at SF, Kelly and Hamilton at PF, Shamet and Allen at SG and Frankamp at PG. That is a lot of size and talent. If you watched the NCAA games with Vanderbilt, Arizona, and Miami, these kids at 3,4, and 5 can board and d-up with anybody and they are no longer Freshmen and Sophmores. None are seniors.

Incoming players added to the mix include Willis (9th rated JC player in the country) who will probably play PF and some center depending on match ups. I think he is a little bigger and better version of Carter. Also Keyser (tremendous athlete who was the PG at Brewster last year) who will probably play SG. Smith (very quick Florida Juco PG) and Reaves (6'5 Freshman PG who led the nation in scoring). Marshall thinks Smith, Keyser and Willis will get minutes. Reaves is very talented but just a kid and hard to predict in the short term. Take a look at the mix tapes for these players.

As to the loss of RB, Shamet started at SG when FVV was out and was regarded by other players as the best frosh before his broke his foot 3 games into the season and a budding All American by Marshall. That says something since McDuffie was the freshman of the year in the conference and regarded in the top 30 for the year nation wide. They will be fine at SG. PG could be an issue and if Smith doesn't perform then look for Shamet to move to point. This team will be very good and by tournament time could be very, very good.

I'm guessing teenager post.

"Top 30 for year nation wide" in what???
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 15th, 2016, 9:51 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
wgslaw wrote:"So what you are implying is that this incoming 2016 class has as much talent as the players that came in 12-13 with Early, Armstead, FVV and Baker?? Sure they they lost a ton of talent that year but they also had three all Americans and a fifth year transfer PG starter coming in for the first time. I highly doubt Wichita will have that kind of talent coming in next season."

I'm guessing teenager post.

"Top 30 for year nation wide" in what???

I'm assuming he's meaning this...
http://www.kylemacyaward.com/

He was named to a nationwide Freshman All-America team
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » April 15th, 2016, 10:11 am

Yeah, I'm not sure there's any debate about McDuffie being very talented. He showed enough last year to back his incoming reputation.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby wgslaw » April 15th, 2016, 10:12 am

"I'm guessing teenager post."

I wish. I saw WSU for the first time in 1965. I've seen the vast majority of WSU teams since then.
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball