Will your team be better or worse next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Will your team be better or worse next year?

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 17th, 2016, 10:17 am

bigdawg wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:Wichita, I believe will be very good, but different. I do believe that we can spend a fair amount of time in the Top 25 with the group that we have.

I think that is a very good description.

Not trying to troll here but this is crazy thinking in my opinion. WSU wasn't in the Top 25 this season most of the year and they were simply not very good with Fred out. You might still be in the upper 2-3 of the Valley but there will be a precipitous drop in your talent level.

If a drop, but not precipitous. I am one of few, who believes the team will win between 25 and 28 games.

It all depends on the point guard play and how the juco recruit will do. Daishon Smith.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » April 17th, 2016, 12:54 pm

People think we weren't very good when Fred was out but that team probably still wins the Valley. And it's already been mentioned but we were also missing Grady for 1.5 games and missing Shamet and Frankamp for all the games.

We lost coinflips to a top 50 and a top 100 team on a neutral court, lost to a top 25 team on a neutral court, lost to a top 100 team on the road. It's not like we were losing to Indiana States and SWOMOs during that stretch. We probably lose more than 2 games and we miss the NCAA tournament but let's not act like we were terrible even missing 1/3rd of our roster.

Our non-con will be probably be quite a bit easier next year and we will still probably win 14+ games in the Valley. Depending on when the losses happen, top 25 is definitely realistic.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » April 17th, 2016, 4:21 pm

uniftw wrote:UNI is tough to tell.

Wes, Bo and Paul will be tough to replace, especially since Wes will be replaced by a true freshman and redshirt freshman. Bo and Paul are tough to replicate with what they did but the freshman class has a much higher ceiling than the graduating glass.

Neutral is probably about right. I think 23-25 wins after Arch Madness is reasonable.

Is UNI scheduling down in the non conference next season? I ask because your program has only 2 or 3 seasons I think in it's history when they've won 23 or more after Arch Madness, and this year wasn't one of those seasons. You either think a lot of the newcomers, or not much of the departing seniors. And I think those guys were super.
Last edited by 2livewu on April 17th, 2016, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » April 17th, 2016, 4:26 pm

AndShock wrote:People think we weren't very good when Fred was out but that team probably still wins the Valley. And it's already been mentioned but we were also missing Grady for 1.5 games and missing Shamet and Frankamp for all the games.

We lost coinflips to a top 50 and a top 100 team on a neutral court, lost to a top 25 team on a neutral court, lost to a top 100 team on the road. It's not like we were losing to Indiana States and SWOMOs during that stretch. We probably lose more than 2 games and we miss the NCAA tournament but let's not act like we were terrible even missing 1/3rd of our roster.

Our non-con will be probably be quite a bit easier next year and we will still probably win 14+ games in the Valley. Depending on when the losses happen, top 25 is definitely realistic.

Yeah I don't think top 25 is realistic. Possible? Maybe but not realistic, just my opinion. I agree there is lots of upside. I'm worried about Shamet's time off and health. No experienced PG. Lack of post depth. Somebody else said it right. Next year we'll be a lot different that's for sure. Those kids might be as good or better than recent WSU teams but I won't bet on it. However they still should be 1 or at worst 2 in the league.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » April 17th, 2016, 4:54 pm

I believe WSU has made an appearance in the AP top 25 every season since 2011-12.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2016, 8:30 am

2livewu wrote:
uniftw wrote:UNI is tough to tell.

Wes, Bo and Paul will be tough to replace, especially since Wes will be replaced by a true freshman and redshirt freshman. Bo and Paul are tough to replicate with what they did but the freshman class has a much higher ceiling than the graduating glass.

Neutral is probably about right. I think 23-25 wins after Arch Madness is reasonable.

Is UNI scheduling down in the non conference next season? I ask because your program has only 2 or 3 seasons I think in it's history when they've won 23 or more after Arch Madness, and this year wasn't one of those seasons. You either think a lot of the newcomers, or not much of the departing seniors. And I think those guys were super.

The schedule should be easier, and it wasn't the OOC that causes issues for UNI last year. The team went into the Diamond Head Classic at 7-3, but it was in Hawaii that Wes suffered the injury that really limited him for a month, then Morgan nearly broke his wrist, then Bo and Paul got the flu to the point of being in the hospital for hours on game days getting IV's so they could play for about 2 weeks straight. That all happened between December 23-Jan 23rd. Look what UNI looked like once all 4 were healthy again.

I love that group of seniors. The, like Seth, won't be replaced in a direct fashion. I just happen to be very high on the young guys for UNI.

There is only one senior:
-Jeremy Morgan is easily the front runner for DPOY next year, and seems like the easy pick for preseason POY.

For juniors we've got:
- redshirt Clint Karlson you all saw what he's capable towards the end of the year. He's a match up nightmare. 6'7 and he'll be 235-240 next year. Good enough shooter you have to step out on him but big enough you can't play a guard on him.
- redshirt Wyatt Lohaus isn't flashy but he can straight ball. He's may be a potential most improved guy just because of a stat boost we'll see from increased PT
- redshirt Ted Friedman just a big body that is solid on defense but can't avoid fouls and is a complete liability of offense.
- redshirt Robbie Knar and his 2 blown ACL's never recovered. Great kid, good practice guy. Not a game kid right now. Might change?

Sophomore:
- Adam McDermott - yep, that line of McDermott. He's Greg's nephew. Transfer from University of North Dakota. He's walking on. He grew up in Cedar Rapids (as did half of UNI's roster most years :dance: ). He's a shooter. Shot 41% from 3 last year. Redshirting this year. Walk on this year and next. Played by ear after that.

redshirt Freshman
- Luke McDonnell - 6'9/610 player that was not going to redshirt this past year but the decision was made about 10 minutes before the first game. He's as college ready as UNI has ever had coming in. He's lanky, which is probably why the redshirt was put on, but he's ready from a skill stand point. Seems like a cross between all of the Koch brothers.
- Spencer Haldeman - 6'1 PG. He was Iowa's Gatorade POY as a senior. 24 ppg, shot 54%, nearly 6 assists and 3 steals per game. He and Luke were AAU teammates and grew up in the same city/metro. If it wasn't for Wes he would have played this year. He's probably the most college ready PG that's ever come in. Wes came in as an athlete and learned the position. Spencer knows the position but it will be different than Wes.
- Justin Dahl - 6,11 250-260. Built like a brick wall. Holds Minnesota's block shot and rebound records. Pretty raw on offense but is already grown into his body and doesn't need as much of the adjustment most big guys at this level do.
- Lincoln Conrey - 6'7 230. A decade ago he probably plays quite a bit. 19 ppg an 10 rpg as a senior. He's a walk on. He may play in a few years. I just don't see it right now.

Incoming
This is where most UNI fans are banking on the year. Yes that's dangerous as there's no knowledge of how they'll actually do. Typical fan speak aside, this is the best recruiting class out of HS I can ever remember UNI having in terms of immediate impact players. Hindsight would say the class with Tuttle, Bohannon, etc.. or Adam Koch, Kwadzo, Jordan Eglseder, and Kerwin Dunham. But from a "potential going into freshman year" it's this years class.

PG Juwan McCloud. He's not real tall at 5'11 or real big (listed 150-170 depending on site) but he's a baller. He committed real early, a month after his offer as a junior, and was a strong verbal and wouldn't listen to others that tried to call him - including Wisconsin, Marquette, and DePaul. #4 rated player in Wisconsin. The fight for starting PG between him and Haldeman will be intense. He's well known on the AAU circuit, but I think his lack of bulk kept some bigger teams away. UNI builds their program on guys who were 1 inch too short or 1 step too slow for the "big programs".

SG/SF Isaiah Brown - 6'6 180 lbs. Top 25 player in the state of Texas. From his tape the kid is a hell of a shooter. Another kid that committed within a month of getting his offer as a junior. He seems to remind people of Jeremy Morgan a lot, but a fearless shooter. He's got a ton of length and if he buys into Jakes defenses sets he'll be a real force as time goes on. Outside of Wes there's a good chance he's the most athletic kid to put a Panther uniform on. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3275121/hig ... /277037378 http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3275121/hig ... /257863381 Not a ton is known about him, at least by me. We hadn't heard a thing about him until this past November when it was announced he took a visit, got an offer, and intended to sign the next day. That happened over the course of 3 days.

The other freshman will redshirt
6'7 SF Tanner Lohaus. Wyatt's younger brother. Not sure what to make of him yet.

We do have one ride open thanks to Arius Austin leaving the team. Seem to be pursing a grad transfer PG, or there is another 6'6 wing, Maishe Dailey, out of Ohio for this year that's been heavily recruited. He has an offer from pretty much every mid-major between New York and Iowa. Super explosive. A lot like Isaiah Brown but might rival Washpun in explosiveness. He was committed to Rutgers fro a long time but just reopened his recruiting and I noticed a handful of UNI guys, including the incoming freshman, followed him on twitter. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3482320/hig ... /325189539

UNI also just ofference JUCO All American Devontavius Payne - a 6'3 guard from Logan College in Carbondale.He averaged 22 PPG, 4 rebounds and 3 asists per game. 52% from the field, 39% from deep and 81% at the line. Other offers are Memphis, Cinci, Loyola, and others. Really seems way out of Jake's recruiting norm, but looks like a decent player.

Part of my optimism isthe OOC should be slightly easier.
Part of it is the fact that the youngers kids that are stepping in are more talented than any freshman (or redshirt) class.
Part of it is that the MVC isn't very good right now and I see 11-13 MVC wins.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » April 24th, 2016, 8:43 pm

For the SIU Salukis there are four senior starters back and a senior 5th starter who was on all bench team---if all guys average about 2-3 pts more (a modest improvement) we should make up for losing Beane's 19 ppg. Expect Thik Bol (6-8) to back up Bola Olaniyan and be a rim protector--he led JC's his freshman year in blocks per game at 4.7--had about three per last year--and can rebound. If SIU is NOT the best rebounding team in the valley next year, it will be a surprise. Got a new Frosh PG to back up Rodriguez who averaged 22 ppg in high school and is bigger at 6-1. 6-8 PF Austin Weiher and 6-4 Fletcher will be great WG

Still recruiting --just offered Mitar Stanojevic a 6-7 215 Small forward who averaged 18 ppg/ 6 rpg for same Prep school that Weiher attended.

So I'd say better
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » April 24th, 2016, 9:51 pm

underdawg wrote:For the SIU Salukis there are four senior starters back and a senior 5th starter who was on all bench team---if all guys average about 2-3 pts more (a modest improvement) we should make up for losing Beane's 19 ppg. Expect Thik Bol (6-8) to back up Bola Olaniyan and be a rim protector--he led JC's his freshman year in blocks per game at 4.7--had about three per last year--and can rebound. If SIU is NOT the best rebounding team in the valley next year, it will be a surprise. Got a new Frosh PG to back up Rodriguez who averaged 22 ppg in high school and is bigger at 6-1. 6-8 PF Austin Weiher and 6-4 Fletcher will be great WG

Still recruiting --just offered Mitar Stanojevic a 6-7 215 Small forward who averaged 18 ppg/ 6 rpg for same Prep school that Weiher attended.

So I'd say better

I think SIU will be very solid.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » April 26th, 2016, 2:40 pm

From Loyola's perspective we will most likely be somewhere in the 5-7 range. An optimist can maybe see us getting 4 if our new players pan out and a pessimist would put us at 8 looking only at what we lost. Really depends on how this new recruiting class fairs.

Seniors
Milton Doyle- Apparently this will be his first healthy summer since his Freshmen year. I expect him to go out strong and push his stock as high as he can. When Doyle's on and protecting the ball he's a special player; just need to see it consistently.

Juniors
Ingram- Lot of potential, but he's been a natural wing playing the four. He improved everything but his 3pt shot last year which actually regressed some. I expect his shot to bounce back and that he continues to improve down low (though i hope he sees more time at the 3, where he truly shines).

Ben Richardson- Strong leadership, scrappy defender, and makes clutch shots. Ben doesn't always score a ton, but he's usually good for 1 or 2 huge 3's in tight games (see his circus shot against UNI). With Turk gone his 3pt shot will see a LOT more action. I expect a sizeable uptick in his ppg from 5 to maybe 8-11 as the teams new go to shooter.

Julius Rajala/Maurice Kirby-Both big men that are streaky and not gonna score too much. Rajala took some steps near the end of the season and flashed against Bradley in STL. But it was a team of mostly freshmen so he should have the edge. Kirby's a big body that has more success against large teams where he can use his size to battle for boards, as struggled with fouls against smaller quick teams (sometimes good calls, sometimes bad).

NEW-Treyvon Andres-6'8'' 3 star recruit out of JUCO. Apparently played pg in high school then had a growth spurt and was playing in the front court. Big time shot blocker and has good handles for a big man. Will be leaned upon heavily to replace Montel James who was a MONSTER for us in his second year. Averaged 16pts, 9.6 boards and 2 blocks at Trinidad Community. All indications are he’s a great kid and a great player.

NEW-Aundre Jackson-6'5" Forward out of Kennendale JUCO. Was fourth in the nation in FG% with 65% averaged 15 and 7. He's short but BUILT at 230 pounds. Sounds extremely similar to Christian Thomas who graduated after the CBI tourney and easily one of Loyola’s best players of the past decade. His signing was just announced today so I don't know much else. But he led his team to the JUCO tournament and averaged 22 and 8 there (15 and 7 in the regular season).

Tyson Smith- Hard nosed guard who's a microwave offensively. When he's in a groove he can do major damage with his 3pt shot (hit 7-11 on 3's in back to back games against Notre Dame and Creighton) but when his shot isn't falling it can get ugly (1-12 against Cleveland State). He's a pest on defense and forces a lot of tipped balls. Tore his ACL at the end of the season however and may not be ready.

Sophomores
Clayton Custer- A crown jewel of last years recruiting class Clayton was a four star recruit out of high school who transferred from Iowa State (recruited by Fred Hoiberg). Caught mono at the start of the season and missed a lot of time, was playing behind Monte Morris and probably saw he wasn't gonna surpass him anytime soon. Great team guy, was high school teammates with fellow guard Ben Richardson; won 90+ games in high school together. Everything i've read is he showed well at Iowa State; fans seemed to like what he brought to the game and thought he had big time potential, he unfortunately got sick at the wrong time and was stuck behind a truly great player. I expect him to run the point.

Freshmen
Cam Satterwhite
Hyper explosive 3 star Combo guard out of Arizona. 6'4" but with a SEVEN SIX wingspan. He was really blossoming coming into his senior season but unfortunately tore his ACL. He previously had committed to Colorado, but when asked to reclassify after his injury he asked for his release and committed here. He’ll be a full year out of the injury by the time Summer rolls around so he should hopefully start to really feel himself by conference play (though with a missed year of senior competition he’ll likely blossom more his sophomore/junior year). Here’s a mixtape featuring some dunks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7JjtXwKSoE

Bruno Skokna

6’4 Croatian Guard; apparently played great in the U18 Euro tournament and was being looked at heavily by Gonzaga. Porter was early and snagged him. Really don’t know a lot about the kid other than that. He’s kind of a mystery.

Matt Chastain

Chastain is a 6’6’’3 star wing. He was a late bloomer who’s recruitment EXPLODED after St Louis. Loyola was on him for the better part of a year when all he had was D2 offers. Porter offered him the day after Arch Madness and following that his recruitment EXPLODED. He was offered by Utah, Utah State, South Dakota State, SIUE, Illinois State, Indiana State, Miami of Ohio, Penn, Furman, and also took an unofficial visit to Purdue before committing to the Ramblers. He’s listed as a 3 star on Rivals but it was a late addition most likely a result of his Utah offer. He played at a 1A conference in high school which no doubt hurt his early stock, but he won a state championship and put up absurd numbers 2081pts 709 rebounds 213 blocked shots 227 steals and 235 assists. The competition will be an adjustment but I think he’s going to really have a stellar career here down the road.

On paper this is Porters best recruiting class, but we need to see it on the court to know if it's for real. I expect a lot of close games per usual; and that we'll surprise a few people along the way (just like everyone else does this time of year). If i had to guess I'd say we finish 6th. But i wouldn't be surprised if we get 5 or 7. The valley will be a much different place with all the senior talent that has left, so it'll be interesting to see where the next crop of stars come from! Here's to another fun season!
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » April 26th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Blers, thanks for the in depth report on Loyola!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball