Evansville department-wide scheduling philosophy?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville department-wide scheduling philosophy?

Postby ACECARD » April 12th, 2016, 1:25 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:Personally I think this thread merits some discussion, despite the fact it may just be hearsay (I don't believe a source was provided).

Change the subject all you want but this was Marty's most successful year at Evansville and once again he couldn't put the Aces in a respectable postseason tournament due, mostly, to the resume they finished the season with.

If there is any truth to this statement then perhaps it does suggest that the UE administration is the one who doesn't understand that Quantity of Wins =/= NCAA/NIT. (Quantity of) Quality Wins = NCAA/NIT.

The Aces not getting to a respectable post season tournament was not decided by the fact that there were no notable wins in the OOC, it was decided when the Aces lost five of the six games they played with the three other best teams in the conference. Had the Aces swept NIU, and Ill. St., and maybe split with the Shocks we wouldn't be having this conversation. The Aces dug their own grave when they couldn't beat the conference teams they needed to beat in either the regular season or March Madness.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UEACES80 » April 12th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Well stated ACECARD - I think if the Aces had one regular season win versus either UNI or WSU we likely would have made the NIT.

I am not going to defend the schedule but will simply point out that the Aces did play at Arkansas and in tournament play versus Providence & a decent UC-Irvine team. The Aces simply didn't have that one quality win to hang their hat on. They were a good consistent team for the most part but simply not a real good team and lacked a single high quality opponent win. It is too bad that 4 of the 5 key Valley losses were close games with only the loss at home to WSU being a stinker. On the other side UE only had one bad defeat that was to ISUb and on that day ISUb might have beaten WSU as they were on fire from the 3 point line.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Tom Servo » April 12th, 2016, 3:36 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Well stated ACECARD - I think if the Aces had one regular season win versus either UNI or WSU we likely would have made the NIT.

I am not going to defend the schedule but will simply point out that the Aces did play at Arkansas and in tournament play versus Providence & a decent UC-Irvine team. The Aces simply didn't have that one quality win to hang their hat on. They were a good consistent team for the most part but simply not a real good team and lacked a single high quality opponent win. It is too bad that 4 of the 5 key Valley losses were close games with only the loss at home to WSU being a stinker. On the other side UE only had one bad defeat that was to ISUb and on that day ISUb might have beaten WSU as they were on fire from the 3 point line.

+1 to both you and Acecard. You are absolutely right.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » April 12th, 2016, 6:20 pm

I disagree with the last three posters. A single win versus WSU/UNI would have given them an RPI in the 80s. Two wins would have put it in the 70s and UE would have then had a 26-7 record and likely been out. The Aces probably needed four more wins in conference giving them a 16-2 record in conference and 28-5. Another way to state the argument for scheduling would be to say, "we don't care about our regular season record and it's all about 3 in a row in St Louis."
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 13th, 2016, 8:48 am

Wufan wrote:I disagree with the last three posters. A single win versus WSU/UNI would have given them an RPI in the 80s. Two wins would have put it in the 70s and UE would have then had a 26-7 record and likely been out. The Aces probably needed four more wins in conference giving them a 16-2 record in conference and 28-5. Another way to state the argument for scheduling would be to say, "we don't care about our regular season record and it's all about 3 in a row in St Louis."

:+1:

You had two first team all conference players UE, justifying simply making the NIT field is a ridiculous argument too. This was your year to make the NCAAs, not the NIT. Good pg, great post player, great scorer, plus 2-3 hustle wings that can shoot.
You had a controllable NonCon schedule situation that WOULD HAVE allowed UE to afford a few random losses within conference, but didn't schedule up at all. Your margin for error with that NonCon gave you little to no chance of making an NCAA at-large argument. I'd want Marty gone ASAP at this point.

In comparison with the team I root for, if McIntosh doesn't make the NCAAs before he graduates I'll be pissed and want Muller gone regardless of reasoning (scheduling, inconsistency, etc.)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » April 13th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Wufan wrote:I disagree with the last three posters. A single win versus WSU/UNI would have given them an RPI in the 80s. Two wins would have put it in the 70s and UE would have then had a 26-7 record and likely been out. The Aces probably needed four more wins in conference giving them a 16-2 record in conference and 28-5. Another way to state the argument for scheduling would be to say, "we don't care about our regular season record and it's all about 3 in a row in St Louis."

Totally agree Marty put this team in an almost impossible position this year with the schedule. He has done a piss poor job with that since he has been here. He needed the wins to justify himself.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby UEACES80 » April 13th, 2016, 12:52 pm

I stick with the opinion of one win versus UNI or WSU and the Aces are in the NIT. Instead we had losses three close losses and one stinker vs WSU.

We all have opinions and reasons for them - I have simply grown tired of the dissecting of UE's schedule. I will also continue to support Marty as the Coach until the time he is no longer the head man at UE it is called loyalty, Though I am sure many of you will see it as wrong choice.

PS - If I get a major Powerball winner I will see that UE athletics gets a hefty annual donation and maybe the scheduling will then meet the requirements of the fans of a few other MVC schools.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shocktheheart » April 13th, 2016, 1:34 pm

You can't hinge your postseason success by hoping to beat the top of the valley to get into the NIT or winning three in St. Louis. The best non conference game that wasn't part of a tourney or part of the MWC challenge RPI wise was Belmont at 95. You can't schedule four games with teams that have a RPI north of 221. All on Marty as they weren't tournament games.

Date Opponent Opp. RPI Rk Results
11-15 SE Missouri St. 342 80-65 W
11-21 Belmont 95 93-88 W
11-26 vs Providence 40 64-74 L
11-27 vs Santa Clara 251 69-57 W
11-29 vs UC Irvine 75 75-56 W
12-01 Alabama St. 264 88-56 W
12-05 at Murray St. 169 85-81 W
12-08 at Arkansas 133 76-89 L
12-12 Miss. Valley St. 330 95-60 W
12-17 Norfolk St. 221 84-70 W
12-20 at Fresno St. 65 85-77 W
12-22 Alabama A&M 331 91-70 W
Did some research and by my count there were nine teams with better RPI's that didn't go to the NIT.

Temple 60
William and Mary 67
UC Irvine 75
Ohio 81
Texas A&M Corpus Christi 82
E. Tennessee St 86
Stanford 87
Houston 88
Kansas St 90
Evansville 93

Why should have Evansville made it over the nine teams ahead of them when they didn't show that they wanted the spot by the way they scheduled the non-conference?

http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi2.html
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » April 13th, 2016, 3:07 pm

No research needed to know that Houston did make the NIT + UE defeated UC-Irvine in Anaheim.

Only three school names ahead of UE on your list would have better name recognition IMO and those are Temple, Stanford and K-State.

Additionally the Aces had some allure to the NIT with DJ and Mock so I stick with my premise of a win versus either UNI or WSU and they are in the NIT. Like I said before we all have opinions and ours differs on this.

A win versus UNI makes it appear more like UE was on equal footing with them - whereas three losses strongly made UE look like a bogus #2 team in the MVC to outsiders and I can't disagree with that perception. A win versus WSU well that likely puts UE into the Top 25 since they would have beaten WSU :bow: and no one should ever beat WSU unless the whole team is out sick (sarcasm ;) )
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » April 13th, 2016, 3:14 pm

The Aces were lacking at least 3 quality wins from being in NIT consideration.

100% on Marty and his SWAC championship non-con schedule.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball