MVC prospects for NBA draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC prospects for NBA draft

Postby mathewson10 » May 23rd, 2016, 12:28 pm

Is it about getting drafted or is it about being good enough to play on an NBA team? If you are good enough to make an NBA roster then after the draft a team can offer a player a contract without drafting you. If you just want to feel good that one of your guys got drafted then I don't see a point. Why does it matter if foreign players are drafted ahead of US players? Would you rather see one of your guys get drafted then not even make the team because he isn't good enough?
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » May 23rd, 2016, 6:38 pm

Many GMs have confirmed that their 2nd round selections have an edge in summer league competition for regular season roster spots. The contract is not guaranteed if you are taken somewhere between 31 and 60, but the hill you have to climb is a little less steep.

It is fun to see one of your favorite players have their name called on draft night, and it gives them a higher likelihood of making a roster. It would be kind of weird if that didn't excite a fan IMO.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » May 24th, 2016, 7:39 am

Play Angry wrote:Many GMs have confirmed that their 2nd round selections have an edge in summer league competition for regular season roster spots. The contract is not guaranteed if you are taken somewhere between 31 and 60, but the hill you have to climb is a little less steep.

It is fun to see one of your favorite players have their name called on draft night, and it gives them a higher likelihood of making a roster. It would be kind of weird if that didn't excite a fan IMO.

I agree 2nd round selections take priority over undrafted free agents but a team will keep an undrafted free agent if they out perform a 2nd rounder.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see valley players drafted but posters are saying that foreign players are ruining or shouldn't be allowed in the draft. The NBA is not everyone gets a trophy. Players are drafted on potential not just their amateur accolades. I'd take a valley player who goes undrafted but plays in the NBA for years (ex. Anthony Tolliver) over a guy who gets drafted & never is heard of again (ex. Rico Hill)*Sorry Rico*
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » May 24th, 2016, 9:50 am

I think the problem people have with some of the foreign players is many in the 2nd round are drafted with the team knowing full well that they're not going to have to pay them and they're not going to come over. But on the off chance the draftee does something unexpected in Europe, they have the rights to them. People would rather see college kids drafted in those instances. They're still not guaranteed a contract or a spot but they get their shot and guys would most likely rather be drafted than go the undrafted route.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » May 24th, 2016, 9:51 am

SubGod22 wrote:I think the problem people have with some of the foreign players is many in the 2nd round are drafted with the team knowing full well that they're not going to have to pay them and they're not going to come over. But on the off chance the draftee does something unexpected in Europe, they have the rights to them. People would rather see college kids drafted in those instances. They're still not guaranteed a contract or a spot but they get their shot and guys would most likely rather be drafted than go the undrafted route.

Trump would solve this and make the NBA only draft American players!!!! :)

I understand why NBA teams do the "draft and follow" of younger foreign players. It makes a lot of sense.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » May 24th, 2016, 3:53 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:I think the problem people have with some of the foreign players is many in the 2nd round are drafted with the team knowing full well that they're not going to have to pay them and they're not going to come over. But on the off chance the draftee does something unexpected in Europe, they have the rights to them. People would rather see college kids drafted in those instances. They're still not guaranteed a contract or a spot but they get their shot and guys would most likely rather be drafted than go the undrafted route.

I understand why NBA teams do the "draft and follow" of younger foreign players. It makes a lot of sense.

The Boston Celtics did something similar with Larry Bird almost 40 years ago.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby havoc » May 24th, 2016, 4:56 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

The Boston Celtics did something similar with Larry Bird almost 40 years ago.

Similar yes, but quite different. The Celtics only held Bird's rights for one year. Teams today hold draftee's rights for 3.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » June 20th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Any new projections have Baker or FVV being selected?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » June 20th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Red wrote:Any new projections have Baker or FVV being selected?

Yep. Both are considered borderline second rounders with Baker being favored over VanVleet.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » June 21st, 2016, 7:29 am

Red wrote:Any new projections have Baker or FVV being selected?

Both have had TONS (10+) workouts with various teams and have impressed multiple teams according to reports. They will be on an NBA roster .. drafted or not.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball