MVC prospects for NBA draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC prospects for NBA draft

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » June 27th, 2016, 6:10 am

I've heard via twitter that Wes Washpun will be on the Summer League team for the Clippers.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » June 27th, 2016, 8:44 am

Seems everyone not drafted is on a summer league or "special" situation.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » June 28th, 2016, 3:45 pm

Aargh wrote:
acesfool wrote:Is a partial guarantee the same as a D-league contract?

Not even close. D League pays something like $20,000 That's what VanVleet was offered by 2 teams if he were drafted in the second round. They were going to draft him with the stipulation that he sign a D-League contract for $20,000. Frad said, "No, thanks".

Baker's partial guarantee is for the NBA minimum $400,000. He'll play D-League and then go to training camp with the Knicks. He will continue to make the NBA minimum as long as he stays under contract with the Knicks, but the Knicks can release him at any time. I don't know how the money pro-rates on a day-to-day basis.

If the Knicks release Baker, he's free to sign with anyone - NBA, Euroball, anyone. If he had been drafted, the team drafting him would own the rights to him for 2 years.

VanVleet is getting offers of $50,000 to $100,000 to go to NBA training camps.

As near as I can tell, getting drafted in the second sucks unless the team has agreed to give you a guaranteed contract, which is what Early got with the Knicks.
I have never heard of a day to day contract in the NBA. I believe the minimum is a ten day contract. This partial guaranteed contract seems to be a fancy term for no guarantee at all.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » June 28th, 2016, 7:15 pm

acesfool wrote:
Aargh wrote:
acesfool wrote:Is a partial guarantee the same as a D-league contract?

Not even close. D League pays something like $20,000 That's what VanVleet was offered by 2 teams if he were drafted in the second round. They were going to draft him with the stipulation that he sign a D-League contract for $20,000. Frad said, "No, thanks".

Baker's partial guarantee is for the NBA minimum $400,000. He'll play D-League and then go to training camp with the Knicks. He will continue to make the NBA minimum as long as he stays under contract with the Knicks, but the Knicks can release him at any time. I don't know how the money pro-rates on a day-to-day basis.

If the Knicks release Baker, he's free to sign with anyone - NBA, Euroball, anyone. If he had been drafted, the team drafting him would own the rights to him for 2 years.

VanVleet is getting offers of $50,000 to $100,000 to go to NBA training camps.

As near as I can tell, getting drafted in the second sucks unless the team has agreed to give you a guaranteed contract, which is what Early got with the Knicks.
I have never heard of a day to day contract in the NBA. I believe the minimum is a ten day contract. This partial guaranteed contract seems to be a fancy term for no guarantee at all.

There was an earlier report that he'd already been invited (guaranteed) to training camp to try out for the team, as a part of his contract. This would guarantee him much more than a 10 day contract. None of us know for sure, but it seems to me that he would be guaranteed a portion of the minimum contract.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acesfool » June 29th, 2016, 9:55 am

You are given room, board and travel expenses when trying out, there is no guaranteed pay during this time.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » June 30th, 2016, 7:42 am

acesfool wrote:You are given room, board and travel expenses when trying out, there is no guaranteed pay during this time.

If a team and player negotiate a dollar number below the minimum into a contract, it happens, genius. A partially guaranteed contract means just that. That's how a team who wants a non drafted player who they feel might succeed, gets him to sign with them. At the time the Knicks signed Baker, they only had 7 players on contract. Besides signing a big name free agent like K Durant, they had plenty of room under their cap foe a partially guaranteed contract.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acesfool » June 30th, 2016, 11:56 pm

You have to make a roster during the regular season to get the minimum of a partial contract. I am not trying to make anyone mad, I just had never heard of this before. This is the the way it was explained on the sites I found.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » July 1st, 2016, 8:04 am

acesfool wrote:You have to make a roster during the regular season to get the minimum of a partial contract. I am not trying to make anyone mad, I just had never heard of this before. This is the the way it was explained on the sites I found.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /29329179/

This story explains T.J. McConnell's guaranteed contract. He received 6 figures.

"The Sixers threw a compelling free-agent contract offer at McConnell."

"Not only will they place McConnell on their summer league teams in Utah and Las Vegas but the Sixers will invited McConnell to fall camp. Then, if he doesn't make the team, McConnell will receive what his agent, Chris Emens said is a guaranteed six figure sum."

It sounds to me from this article that each FA negotiates their own deal which could include a partial guarantee (including a nice sum of money) or not.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acesfool » July 2nd, 2016, 2:41 am

mvcfan wrote:
acesfool wrote:You have to make a roster during the regular season to get the minimum of a partial contract. I am not trying to make anyone mad, I just had never heard of this before. This is the the way it was explained on the sites I found.

This story explains T.J. McConnell's guaranteed contract. He received 6 figures.

"Not only will they place McConnell on their summer league teams in Utah and Las Vegas but the Sixers will invited McConnell to fall camp. Then, if he doesn't make the team, McConnell will receive what his agent, Chris Emens said is a guaranteed six figure sum."

It sounds to me from this article that each FA negotiates their own deal which could include a partial guarantee (including a nice sum of money) or not.
That would be a guaranteed contract, that is why Philly sucks. There are veterans with 10+ million dollar salaries with no guarantee. I wouldn't believe too much I read unless the deal is made public. Most of the article that I have read say one must make the openning day roster to get any pay from a partially guaranteed contract. I find it hard to believe that undrafted players are getting guaranteed money before summer leagues ever begin while 2nd rounders are obligated to a team without guaranteed compensation. The draft should be limited to one round of guaranteed contracts if this is the case.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » July 2nd, 2016, 9:03 am

acesfool wrote:
mvcfan wrote:

That would be a guaranteed contract, that is why Philly sucks. There are veterans with 10+ million dollar salaries with no guarantee. I wouldn't believe too much I read unless the deal is made public. Most of the article that I have read say one must make the openning day roster to get any pay from a partially guaranteed contract. I find it hard to believe that undrafted players are getting guaranteed money before summer leagues ever begin while 2nd rounders are obligated to a team without guaranteed compensation. The draft should be limited to one round of guaranteed contracts if this is the case.

When shown evidence that you are wrong by a story talking about a Free Agent receiving a partially guaranteed contract, you double down, saying you are still right and that Baker lied about his partially guaranteed contract. You sound like Donald Trump and obviously don't know what you are talking about. You are a real piece of work. LOL
Good Luck with Evansville next year.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball