MVC prospects for NBA draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Red » April 18th, 2016, 1:41 pm

Saw that Mock, Baker and DJ played in Portsmouth. I don't watch the NBA much and the draft doesn't interest me a whole lot anymore now that half of the picks are foreign, but will any of the MVC kids get drafted?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC prospects for NBA draft

Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Wes was at Portsmouth as well.

The NBA draft is a joke. Outside of about 10 picks it's all "I'm taking this 15 year old Euro to stash away from a couple years so I don't have to pay him anything, then I'll grab a free agent that's already in the league.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » April 18th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Red wrote:Saw that Mock, Baker and DJ played in Portsmouth. I don't watch the NBA much and the draft doesn't interest me a whole lot anymore now that half of the picks are foreign, but will any of the MVC kids get drafted?

Baker didn't play in Portsmouth. He is in LA working out getting ready for the draft.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » April 18th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I'd love to be wrong but I'm guessing that nobody gets drafted this year
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » April 18th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:I'd love to be wrong but I'm guessing that nobody gets drafted this year

If teams at the end of the first round or all of the second round actually selected players on talent instead of stashing foreign players away, I think Baker and possibly Van Vleet would get drafted. Baker has a shot at the end of round two.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2016, 2:58 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:I'd love to be wrong but I'm guessing that nobody gets drafted this year

If teams at the end of the first round or all of the second round actually selected players on talent instead of stashing foreign players away, I think Baker and possibly Van Vleet would get drafted. Baker has a shot at the end of round two.

UNI would have had a few guys get a shot if that was the case. Don't know if they'd have stuck but a guy like Adam Koch,Seth Tuttle or Wes Washpun this year would get a shot.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » April 18th, 2016, 3:49 pm

shocktheheart wrote:

I definitely agree. I remember watching the draft waiting for Jackie Carmichael to get picked and he was projected early 2nd round, and you kept seeing random European players you've never heard of and most likely never will get picked instead. It's a shame
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » April 18th, 2016, 4:30 pm

I think it might help if the NBA had a legitimate minor league. The D-League kind of does that, but I heard there are around 8 teams or so, maybe more, that don't have any affiliate. I think if they each had a team and owned the rights to each player, you might see more NCAA players drafted and developed there.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » April 18th, 2016, 5:27 pm

SubGod22 wrote:I think it might help if the NBA had a legitimate minor league. The D-League kind of does that, but I heard there are around 8 teams or so, maybe more, that don't have any affiliate. I think if they each had a team and owned the rights to each player, you might see more NCAA players drafted and developed there.

As of this year there are 19 teams which are all single franchise associated. Getting closer to a farm system.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » April 18th, 2016, 7:39 pm

The last time I looked Baker was predicted to go at the tail end of the 2nd round by one projection service. But he was the only MVC player in either round.

I think Fred was a great college player but I'm not sure his game translates to the NBA. I hope I'm wrong. I really like the guy. He's a class act as is Baker.

Baker seems to have all the tools. I think his shooting consistency slipped this year and that's hurting his draft status.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball