MVC prospects for NBA draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC prospects for NBA draft

Postby acesfool » July 3rd, 2016, 4:35 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
acesfool wrote:Where did I ever say Baker lied about his partially guaranteed contract? I am just pointing out what I have read about partially guaranteed contracts for undrafted rookies. You do realize that there is no guarantee pay for 2nd round draft picks? Why are so many undrafted free agents getting six figure guaranteed money when their odds of making a roster are so minute?

The NBA is currently throwing 10s of millions of dollars at middle of the pack players. Ron got a partially guaranteed contract, ie .. part of the contract is guaranteed. Pretty simple. He will get paid no matter if he makes the team or not .. just wont be the full amount. No one has any idea how much that is .. but to say they wouldn't throw 6 figures at a potential good player when they are throwing 8 + figures at average players is being out of touch with reality.

Let it go .. you were wrong in your assumptions.

I don't buy that the NBA is just giving six figure NBA guaranteed money to undrafted rookies,especially before summer league. These guys didn't get rich by doing such things. Take McConnel for example.....If the teams really thought he was that good then they would have locked him in with a late 2nd round pick. That would have saved them a six figure deal. Once again, the details of the McConnel contract are not public so nobody knows what it actually is. The writer could have misunderstood what the agent told him, or it could be a ploy by the agent to get more clients. I would think every player would want an agent that can get an undrafted rookie a six figure guarantee. Also, many of these big contracts to "average" players are not guaranteed or only guaranteed for the first year.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » July 3rd, 2016, 10:10 am

acesfool wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
acesfool wrote:Where did I ever say Baker lied about his partially guaranteed contract? I am just pointing out what I have read about partially guaranteed contracts for undrafted rookies. You do realize that there is no guarantee pay for 2nd round draft picks? Why are so many undrafted free agents getting six figure guaranteed money when their odds of making a roster are so minute?

The NBA is currently throwing 10s of millions of dollars at middle of the pack players. Ron got a partially guaranteed contract, ie .. part of the contract is guaranteed. Pretty simple. He will get paid no matter if he makes the team or not .. just wont be the full amount. No one has any idea how much that is .. but to say they wouldn't throw 6 figures at a potential good player when they are throwing 8 + figures at average players is being out of touch with reality.

Let it go .. you were wrong in your assumptions.

I don't buy that the NBA is just giving six figure NBA guaranteed money to undrafted rookies,especially before summer league. These guys didn't get rich by doing such things. Take McConnel for example.....If the teams really thought he was that good then they would have locked him in with a late 2nd round pick. That would have saved them a six figure deal. Once again, the details of the McConnel contract are not public so nobody knows what it actually is. The writer could have misunderstood what the agent told him, or it could be a ploy by the agent to get more clients. I would think every player would want an agent that can get an undrafted rookie a six figure guarantee. Also, many of these big contracts to "average" players are not guaranteed or only guaranteed for the first year.

When your argument consists of just saying that multiple sources are incorrect or lieing ... You should probably house stop. Making yourself look pathetic now.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acesfool » July 4th, 2016, 1:54 am

Well Stickboy, I have read several articles that say a partial guaranteed contract for undrafted rookies only kicks in when the player makes the roster You should learn the meaning of multiple since you only have one source. McConnel's agent is the only one that seems to be suggesting that he will get guaranteed money. I have seen nowhere that Baker has made any such claim.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » July 6th, 2016, 7:33 am

acesfool wrote:Well Stickboy, I have read several articles that say a partial guaranteed contract for undrafted rookies only kicks in when the player makes the roster You should learn the meaning of multiple since you only have one source. McConnel's agent is the only one that seems to be suggesting that he will get guaranteed money. I have seen nowhere that Baker has made any such claim.

I have listed an article that is evidence that you are wrong about partially guaranteed contracts. You show us nothing but you claim that we are just to take your word that you are right. There are numerous written stories that mention Ron's partially guaranteed contract, and Fred Van Vleet was quoted in a story saying that he didn't want to be drafted in the second round because there were attached conditions that he would be confined to $20,000 in the D League and he had already been offered $50,000 to sign as a free agent. In the MLB they call that bonus money.

I will not list those stories because they won't make a difference in your mind anyway. But the point is that contrary to your opinion, money passes from NBA Teams to players in more ways than just when the player makes the team.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » July 6th, 2016, 7:36 am

mvcfan wrote:
acesfool wrote:Well Stickboy, I have read several articles that say a partial guaranteed contract for undrafted rookies only kicks in when the player makes the roster You should learn the meaning of multiple since you only have one source. McConnel's agent is the only one that seems to be suggesting that he will get guaranteed money. I have seen nowhere that Baker has made any such claim.

I have listed an article that is evidence that you are wrong about partially guaranteed contracts. You show us nothing but you claim that we are just to take your word that you are right. There are numerous written local stories that mention Ron's partially guaranteed contract, and Fred Van Vleet was quoted in a story saying that he didn't want to be drafted in the second round because there were attached conditions that he would be confined to $20,000 in the D League and he had already been offered $50,000 to sign as a free agent. In the MLB they call that bonus money. I don't know what the NBA calls it.

I will not list those stories because they won't make a difference in your mind anyway. But the point is that contrary to your opinion, money passes from NBA Teams to players in more ways than just when the player makes the team.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » July 6th, 2016, 8:29 am

Last year there were 26 UFAs signed to partially guarantied deals. The vast majority were for between $25k - $75k. Two players got full year deals. I did a random sample of the players, all played in the D-league last year. With the salary cap expansion, those numbers may go up a bit this year, but I'd still expect the majority to be under $100k.

http://upsidemotor.com/2015/10/23/nba-d ... -d-league/
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » July 6th, 2016, 9:16 am

Watched as much of the Clipper/Knick game yesterday.

Baker up to Baker things. I hated him as a Shocker because he isn't that athletic. He isn't all that fast (comparatively speaking). He isn't all that long for his size. Dude just knows where to be and how to be. That has translated to the summer league.

So many tipped passes, pass lanes blocked, forced dribble error, etc... I was more impressed with him yesterday than I was at any point during his Shocker career.

I don't know that he'll ever be a big impact guy but he's going to carve a nice niche into the league, similar to that of a Mike Miller, for a few years.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » July 6th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Today Ron had 22 pts, 9 boards, 5 assists, 5 steals.

Heckuva line that should get him into their training camp.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » July 6th, 2016, 6:20 pm

uniftw wrote:Watched as much of the Clipper/Knick game yesterday.

Baker up to Baker things. I hated him as a Shocker because he isn't that athletic. He isn't all that fast (comparatively speaking). He isn't all that long for his size. Dude just knows where to be and how to be. That has translated to the summer league.

So many tipped passes, pass lanes blocked, forced dribble error, etc... I was more impressed with him yesterday than I was at any point during his Shocker career.

I don't know that he'll ever be a big impact guy but he's going to carve a nice niche into the league, similar to that of a Mike Miller, for a few years.

You really don't think Baker is a good athlete? I totally disagree. He's not got eye popping athleticism like a Washpun but he's got lots of athleticism especially for the college level.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby moshock » July 6th, 2016, 8:37 pm

glm38 wrote:
uniftw wrote:Watched as much of the Clipper/Knick game yesterday.

You really don't think Baker is a good athlete? I totally disagree. He's not got eye popping athleticism like a Washpun but he's got lots of athleticism especially for the college level.

uniftw, :huh: you didn't watch him enough or had purple shades on or something....he has a 6' 9-1/2" wingspan and was a terrific college athlete.

He has gotten better with every game he's played this week.
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball