Asst. Coach of the Week

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Asst. Coach of the Week

Postby tribecalledquest » May 5th, 2016, 3:27 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:Proud to say no I haven't but sure have read a lot dirt from his days at Iowa then USI and Tennessee. Surprisingly I don't remember any dirt from his UWM days. The man can coach and I respect that but don't care for his ethics.

Do people think Bruce Pearl...as a 25, 26 year old assistant did all those things at Iowa without Dr. Tom Davis knowing about it? That's been the funny point of all this.

Dr. Tom is a saint...Pearl is a snake. No young assistant does things without a guy like Dr. Tom signing off on it. Not at a place like Iowa.

Just as you asked the other poster a few posts prior, were you spending a lot of time with Dr. Tom and Pearl to know the inner workings of that program back then too Tribe??

Can't challenge one poster and then turn around and make the same assumption yourself.

I do know Bruce and all of my interactions have been pleasant. He has done quite a bit for a charity I am involved in.

I do not know the 100% truth as it relates to the Iowa situation but I do know extensively how D1 college basketball programs work and 25 year old assistants do go rogue and do this kind of thing without the head coach knowing about it or blessing it.

Do you believe Rick Pitino knew absolutely nothing of the prostitute/sex stuff recently at Louisville?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Valleyball » May 5th, 2016, 6:10 pm

To me the fact I am sure Bruce was doing plenty of dancing on the line. Makes his turning someone in worse. I have always hated him as a coach. I don't know why, but when he was announcing I thought he was good and really enjoyed listening to him. But now that I watch him coach again my hate comes back.
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 5th, 2016, 9:00 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Do people think Bruce Pearl...as a 25, 26 year old assistant did all those things at Iowa without Dr. Tom Davis knowing about it? That's been the funny point of all this.

Dr. Tom is a saint...Pearl is a snake. No young assistant does things without a guy like Dr. Tom signing off on it. Not at a place like Iowa.

Just as you asked the other poster a few posts prior, were you spending a lot of time with Dr. Tom and Pearl to know the inner workings of that program back then too Tribe??

Can't challenge one poster and then turn around and make the same assumption yourself.

I do know Bruce and all of my interactions have been pleasant. He has done quite a bit for a charity I am involved in.

I do not know the 100% truth as it relates to the Iowa situation but I do know extensively how D1 college basketball programs work and 25 year old assistants do go rogue and do this kind of thing without the head coach knowing about it or blessing it.

Do you believe Rick Pitino knew absolutely nothing of the prostitute/sex stuff recently at Louisville?

Of course not. But, you did make an assumption of something for which you have no knowledge, and you have bias in favor of Pearl for a few positive interactions on a charity thing you did with him.

No big deal.

I think Pearl will do anything it takes as a coach to excel, including taking short cuts...regardless of protocol or within rules.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 5th, 2016, 9:43 pm

How many college coaches do you think play 100% by the rules?

Or are some variations ok and some not? Do we tolerate some shady behavior but not all of it?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 6th, 2016, 5:41 am

tribecalledquest wrote:How many college coaches do you think play 100% by the rules?

Or are some variations ok and some not? Do we tolerate some shady behavior but not all of it?

We do tolerate some shady behavior, no doubt. The reason, IMO is that the regs are so far reaching and often fail in common sense, thus we feel certain rules don't matter.

IMO, the cardinal sins are impermissible benefits and academic fraud.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball