Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby Veritas » June 11th, 2016, 10:50 am

jwa123 wrote:
AndShock wrote:Wichita State will do more for MVC football in 4 years than Loyola will do for men's basketball in the next 100.

Most likely not. You under estimate how long it takes to bring a football program up to speed from scratch. Nonetheless, it is a mute point as the MVFC will not accept WSU

I always like a "mute" point. Especially when I can't hear it.

MVFC will bend over backwards to accept WSU. Don't let her fool you.
The question is whether WSU wants the MVFC (or even football in general).
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » June 11th, 2016, 2:16 pm

jwa123 wrote: it is a mute point as the MVFC will not accept WSU

Actually that is not not what MVC said. They did leave the door open.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » June 11th, 2016, 2:29 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
#1 Sure in MBB mainly.

It still name recognition.

#2 Yes, but short term value to MVFC. With no rivalry creation, which normally only happens over a longer period of time, how do you expect full interest from the casual Shocker fan in that market? In basketball, those casual fans became die-hard in recent years due to success. Doesn't mean that will translate to Football immediately.

Actually WSU fans are die hard all the time.

#3 That is irrelevant to a Football discussion. Your Football team in year 1 will be a long way from the glory Gregg Marshall days you are currently enjoying in MBB that is making Shocker Basketball a draw at rival schools gyms. As an ISUr fan who has enjoyed two straight huge Football seasons, I would MUCH PREFER go to a UNI or NDSU game than a WSU football game at Hancock Stadium...just saying.

Well since WSU doesn't have a football team that goes without saying. But who knows if WSU has a football team and is good.

#4 Sure they will, then leave the conference by the time it became good after a few recruiting cycles....how does that benefit the MVFC?

Error in this thinking is who would really want to bring in WSU or any MVFC school? None of these school have really have anything that the bigger conferences want. Look at the Big 12 - they are not going to expand because there is no benefit and would dilute their $$$$, and they have figured out how to have a championship game (which was their main problem they needed solved.

If WSU does bring back football it because they think it gonna benefit the university (probably through enrollment) and they will be in the MVFC. That my prediction.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » June 12th, 2016, 12:09 pm

Veritas wrote:MVFC will bend over backwards to accept WSU. Don't let her fool you.

Bend over backwards? Absolutely not. You're simply making something up because you want to believe it. There is no evidence to suggest the MVFC is begging WSU to start football and join the conference. The conference has actually publicized their stance to show that they don't bend to the will of a non-existent program.

However, would they accept them if it makes financial and competitive sense? Probably. But we're a very long way from knowing the answer to either of those.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Veritas » June 12th, 2016, 3:38 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Veritas wrote:MVFC will bend over backwards to accept WSU. Don't let her fool you.

Bend over backwards? Absolutely not. You're simply making something up because you want to believe it. There is no evidence to suggest the MVFC is begging WSU to start football and join the conference. The conference has actually publicized their stance to show that they don't bend to the will of a non-existent program.

However, would they accept them if it makes financial and competitive sense? Probably. But we're a very long way from knowing the answer to either of those.

Yes, bend over backwards in a convoluted position that only a few in the world can accomplish. You answered your own question. Does it make financial and competitive sense? Probably

But that really isn't the crux of the question is it. The true questions are whether WSU is interested in the MVFC and football in general; not whether the MVFC is interested in WSU.

If I'm another MoVal school, I'd want her discharged for making such a stupid comment. I don't think any logical person would want a WSU to depart the MoVal. Her comments, whether there is mutual interest or not, does nothing but drive a wedge.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby underdawg » June 12th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Let's go back to the title of this thread--if the shocks are showing they are cooking up some method to exit the valley--they ain't going to get any help in doing so from the MVC--I say right-on to the MVFC Commish for doing so--tough sh*t if some blowhard fans in Kansas are getting all bent out of shape because of it 8-)
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jacksfan29 » June 13th, 2016, 3:45 pm

Veritas wrote:
jwa123 wrote:
AndShock wrote:Wichita State will do more for MVC football in 4 years than Loyola will do for men's basketball in the next 100.

Most likely not. You under estimate how long it takes to bring a football program up to speed from scratch. Nonetheless, it is a mute point as the MVFC will not accept WSU

I always like a "mute" point. Especially when I can't hear it.

MVFC will bend over backwards to accept WSU. Don't let her fool you.

Actually they won't bend over backwards to accept WSU. In fact, even if WSU begs and pleads it won't happen. The MVFC is made up of 10 schools. Five are MVC schools. Five are not (SDSU, NDSU, WIU, YSU, USD). Those five schools have no reason to vote you in knowing it is a short term deal.

If WSU play FCS FB they will need to be Independent. That said, life as an FCS Independent won't be that hard. I can almost guarantee both SDSU and NDSU will schedule you. We would even consider a home and home if Marshall and Co. will travel north for a home and home with our Men's BB program. If they won't? That's cool. Two for one deals happen all the time for FCS Independents. We will even throw in some cash to make your travel easier.
jacksfan29
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby WSUShox88 » June 13th, 2016, 4:26 pm

There is no way I just witnessed a South Dakota State fan laying down the 1-AA smack on WSU.

No way.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Stickboy46 » June 14th, 2016, 8:12 am

jacksfan29 wrote: If they won't? That's cool. Two for one deals happen all the time for FCS Independents. We will even throw in some cash to make your travel easier.

Thanks sooooo much for this offer. I can't imagine how we would make the trip without your money. Are you sure you are able to though? I mean can you still pay your coach that gigantic salary of 150k after helping us with our travel? Or your BB coach 200k? I guess you have money to throw around though according to the tone of your post. What would WSU do without you!
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » June 14th, 2016, 12:16 pm

jacksfan29 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
quote="AndShock"]Wichita State will do more for MVC football in 4 years than Loyola will do for men's basketball in the next 100.

Most likely not. You under estimate how long it takes to bring a football program up to speed from scratch. Nonetheless, it is a mute point as the MVFC will not accept WSU[/quote]
Actually they won't bend over backwards to accept WSU. In fact, even if WSU begs and pleads it won't happen. The MVFC is made up of 10 schools. Five are MVC schools. Five are not (SDSU, NDSU, WIU, YSU, USD). Those five schools have no reason to vote you in knowing it is a short term deal.

If WSU play FCS FB they will need to be Independent. That said, life as an FCS Independent won't be that hard. I can almost guarantee both SDSU and NDSU will schedule you. We would even consider a home and home if Marshall and Co. will travel north for a home and home with our Men's BB program. If they won't? That's cool. Two for one deals happen all the time for FCS Independents. We will even throw in some cash to make your travel easier.[/quote]
Jackrabbit could add all of the coaches salaries up in their entire athletic department and they wouldn't approach Gregg Marshall's salary.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball