Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 8th, 2016, 2:19 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:
The view from the MVFC doesn't surprise me, but I was a little surprised she said it the way she did. But I'm also not surprised that the MVC has issues with teams that strive for excellence and trying to better their University.

Did she really say that? Has anyone with the MVC ever said such a goofy thing? Come on.

Elitist attitude/perception from a Shox fan. As if no other school (not team as you originally said) in the Valley is striving for excellence...we are all pawns for the Shockers in all sports whose only job is to watch them excel. :roll:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » June 8th, 2016, 3:01 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:
The view from the MVFC doesn't surprise me, but I was a little surprised she said it the way she did. But I'm also not surprised that the MVC has issues with teams that strive for excellence and trying to better their University.

Did she really say that? Has anyone with the MVC ever said such a goofy thing? Come on.

Elitist attitude/perception from a Shox fan. As if no other school (not team as you originally said) in the Valley is striving for excellence...we are all pawns for the Shockers in all sports whose only job is to watch them excel. :roll:

http://www.mvc-sports.com/news/archives ... 1iHAdkrJph
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » June 8th, 2016, 3:18 pm

If WSU football comes to fruition then they have made their goals clear and I fully support them for aiming for the FBS. If that's the best move for the university then that's absolutely what they need to do. But I don't think others should be expected to inconvenience themselves in the process just so that the WSU football team has a temporary home. And by all accounts and comments regarding this issue it's pretty clear that it would be temporary.

The MVFC is the elite FCS conference right now and likely will be for quite some time if the current makeup stays in place. For the past few years it's ranked above nearly all of the G5 conferences as well in the Sagarin rankings (slightly behind the American/former Big East, Mountain West and MAC). I know it seems strange on a variety of levels, but despite Patty V having an administrative role in the MVC, her role in the MVFC is, in theory, completely separate. Please keep that in mind when looking at this situation.

In it's current standing and statements WSU football does not offer the conference much value to offset the headaches that were stated previously. I don't think it's fair to think that conference "affiliations" (remember, they're "separate") are enough for the MVFC to bend over backwards for a short-term member. I don't think any of the comments could be construed as a slight against WSU trying to build a football program and "better itself". In what ways does WSU "better" the MVFC?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 8th, 2016, 3:31 pm

The MVFC in no way needs WSU.

NDSU has won 5 straight titles
Illinois State has been a top 5 team the last two years
Those two played in the title game in 2014 - only time in history one conference has had both title spots
The MVFC had 5 teams in the top 15 of the final AnyGivenSaturday Poll last season
The MVFC has the #1 and #3 teams, another at #8 and a total 4 teams in the top 11 of the preseason Athlon poll and 6 in the top 25
MVFC has more playoff wins as a conference than any other conference the last decade or so
Since the start of the 2010 season the MVFC is 117-32 vs the rest of the FCS - that's a 78.6% win %
The MVFC is to the FCS as the SEC is to the FBS right now and it's not really that close to any other conference.

The fact that WSU only wants to sit there for the 2 or 3 year probationary period is a complete non starter. They add zero to the conference in any fashion. I'm glad Patty V told WSU to "shove it" when it comes to the MVFC if they aren't willing to commit to the long term health of the MVFC - and in turn the MVC as the MVC members (and MVC) would be impacted quite negatively should anything happen to the MVFC.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » June 8th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Again, most in Shocker Nation have had zero desire or want to be in the MVFC. We don't need it should football return. The only thing that's caused a stir is how she said it, which was with complete disrespect towards Wichita.

And as far as the dope that got quoted, I never said Wichita is the only one striving for excellence, just that the MVC doesn't push for it as a whole.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » June 8th, 2016, 5:33 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
The MVFC is the elite FCS conference right now

:dance: "MVFC" and "elite" in the same sentence. Thanks for the laughs....
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » June 8th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

I'll just wait for you to actually add to the conversation OR disprove what I said. It'd be nice if we could actually have a discussion on these topics rather than all the nose-thumbing or name-calling that seems to follow these threads.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 9th, 2016, 8:45 am

PantherSigEp wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

I'll just wait for you to actually add to the conversation OR disprove what I said. It'd be nice if we could actually have a discussion on these topics rather than all the nose-thumbing or name-calling that seems to follow these threads.

When folks in the Valley front office are the one's starting the nose-thumbing, it's only natural fans within the league would follow lead.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 9th, 2016, 9:16 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

http://www.mvc-sports.com/news/archives ... 1iHAdkrJph

CDizzle:
For your link above - every school strives for excellence, doesn't mean they are there yet. Striving and reaching excellence are two separate things.
So your link showing you are on top right now doesn't add to the conversation. For example, it's not like Illinois State is sitting on their thumbs striving for mediocrity... just because WSU won the all-sports trophy last year.

Every school wants to "strive for excellence" and win the all-sports trophy. If they aren't, then they need to remove their sports programs entirely.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 9th, 2016, 9:22 am

SubGod22 wrote:
And as far as the dope that got quoted, I never said Wichita is the only one striving for excellence, just that the MVC doesn't push for it as a whole.

The MVC does push for it as a whole. Do you honestly think they only want one team in the NCAA Tournament or one team in really any postseason tournament?

This topic of adding WSU as a temporary member into the BEST FCS conference has nothing to do with striving for excellence. WSU joining short term is not beneficial for the MVFC given its status in the FCS currently.

Question for all of you WSU fans -

Can you all provide reasons that the MVFC would actually benefit from adding WSU in that conference for up to 3-4 years?
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on June 9th, 2016, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball