Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby Snaggletooth » June 9th, 2016, 6:00 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:I'll just wait for you to actually add to the conversation OR disprove what I said.

Disprove that MVFC is elite conference? What is there to disprove? Nobody but a few people even know who the MVFC is and from looking at UNI attendance, most don't care.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » June 9th, 2016, 6:43 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
The MVC does push for it as a whole. Do you honestly think they only want one team in the NCAA Tournament or one team in really any postseason tournament?

If the MVC is striving and pushing itself then answer me these questions?

1. Why did the MVC get rid of the scheduling mandate?

2. Why did the refuse to allow DBU in the conference for baseball initially? Even allowing schools who didn't even play baseball to vote on their inclusion.

3. Why has the conference taken stance to leave it up to the discretion of the individuals schools to choose to opt-in for "cost of attendance" initiatives? This is matter that the conference as a whole HAS TO opt-in if they want to stay relevant.

Question for all of you WSU fans -

Can you all provide reasons that the MVFC would actually benefit from adding WSU in that conference for up to 3-4 years?

1. Name recognition
2. TV Market
3. Likely to improve your own tickets sales (e.g. WSU improves tickets sales for their host by 43% in MBB).
4. If WSU does do football, they will do it right and put the resources to it.

You do realize that the MVC brings in affiliated members on 4 year terms?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 10th, 2016, 8:23 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
The MVC does push for it as a whole. Do you honestly think they only want one team in the NCAA Tournament or one team in really any postseason tournament?

If the MVC is striving and pushing itself then answer me these questions?

1. Why did the MVC get rid of the scheduling mandate?

2. Why did the refuse to allow DBU in the conference for baseball initially? Even allowing schools who didn't even play baseball to vote on their inclusion.

3. Why has the conference taken stance to leave it up to the discretion of the individuals schools to choose to opt-in for "cost of attendance" initiatives? This is matter that the conference as a whole HAS TO opt-in if they want to stay relevant.

Question for all of you WSU fans -

Can you all provide reasons that the MVFC would actually benefit from adding WSU in that conference for up to 3-4 years?

1. Name recognition
2. TV Market
3. Likely to improve your own tickets sales (e.g. WSU improves tickets sales for their host by 43% in MBB).
4. If WSU does do football, they will do it right and put the resources to it.

You do realize that the MVC brings in affiliated members on 4 year terms?

UNI voted for DBU since they didn't give a damn.
MVC/MVFC are separate conferences...as you are aware.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » June 10th, 2016, 10:02 am

Wichita State will do more for MVC football in 4 years than Loyola will do for men's basketball in the next 100.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » June 10th, 2016, 10:09 am

I am failing to understand what Dallas Baptist has to do with this discussion? I get DBU has a good baseball program, but they are basically an unknown outside of the collegiate baseball world, and are D-2 in all other sports.

If WSU wants to bring back football, and is willing to commit to a reasonable time in the MVFC, then there is no question they will bring added value and name recognition to the other teams, especially the ones who are "true" MVC members. Fans of all of the MVC schools recognize WSU has a fellow conference program. I really doubt many, especially outside of the die-hard baseball fans, realize there is even a Dallas Baptist, let alone that they are a conference foe.

DBU being D-2 in all sports except baseball brings up another question. I thought you had to have all your athletic programs in the same classification...ie you are D-1, D-2 etc...If that is not the case, what is stopping schools from parking some of their non-revenue programs like tennis at D-2 or D-3?
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » June 10th, 2016, 10:21 am

uniftw wrote:UNI voted for DBU since they didn't give a damn.

First or second time? And why was UNI even voting since they obviously didn't care about baseball.

The first vote failed. 2nd time around it passed and I know Drake didn't vote the second time (they voted no the first time).

MVC/MVFC are separate conferences...as you are aware.

Well aware - but I assume you aware they are really separate in NAME ONLY since they have same administrators from both entities.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » June 10th, 2016, 10:40 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:I'll just wait for you to actually add to the conversation OR disprove what I said.

Disprove that MVFC is elite conference? What is there to disprove? Nobody but a few people even know who the MVFC is and from looking at UNI attendance, most don't care.

UNI averaged ~12K this past year. Out of an MSA of about only 160,000 people and 2 other very popular P5 programs, that's impressive. By comparison WSU would need to average ~30K/game given its MSA.

A casual observer may not be familiar with the conference but I don't see or care as to how that's relevant to the issue at hand in which the MVFC has continued to steam roll FCS competition and has beat up on FBS opponents as well over the last 6-7 years. So much so that the B1G won't even allow their teams to sign any new contracts because they've seen the gap between their teams and FCS teams continue to shrink.

I'm surprised someone living in the Midwest is so out of touch with the football scene as a whole. Not surprising that you think MWC football is leaps and bounds better.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » June 10th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:
DBU being D-2 in all sports except baseball brings up another question. I thought you had to have all your athletic programs in the same classification...ie you are D-1, D-2 etc...If that is not the case, what is stopping schools from parking some of their non-revenue programs like tennis at D-2 or D-3?

To participate in D-1 basketball or football, all sports must compete in D-1. A non- D-1 school can designate one sport, other than basketball or football, to compete at the D-1 level. Dallas Baptist plays D-1 baseball, until UNO reclassified as D-1, they were a D-2 school that played D-1 hockey.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 10th, 2016, 1:38 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

UNI averaged ~12K this past year. Out of an MSA of about only 160,000 people and 2 other very popular P5 programs, that's impressive. By comparison WSU would need to average ~30K/game given its MSA.

A casual observer may not be familiar with the conference but I don't see or care as to how that's relevant to the issue at hand in which the MVFC has continued to steam roll FCS competition and has beat up on FBS opponents as well over the last 6-7 years. So much so that the B1G won't even allow their teams to sign any new contracts because they've seen the gap between their teams and FCS teams continue to shrink.

I'm surprised someone living in the Midwest is so out of touch with the football scene as a whole. Not surprising that you think MWC football is leaps and bounds better.
WSU fans are in Kansas....they aren't exactly sure what football actually is in general

A few years ago when the MWC had TCU, BYU, Hoke was the HC at San Diego State, etc... that was a damn good conference. At this point it's Boise State and the rest.

Sagarin ratings for 2016
27 Boise State
46 San Diego State
60 Air Force
76 Utah State
99 San Jose State
104 Colorado State
108 Nevada
110 New Mexico
119 UNLV
137 Fresno State
146 Wyoming
173 Hawaii

54 North Dakota State
85 Illinois State
88 Northern Iowa
93 South Dakota State
105 Youngstown State
120 Southern Illinois
122 Western Illinois
147 Indiana State
152 South Dakota
239 Missouri State

Outside of Missouri State/Boise State the conferences are essentially identical. NDSU has more FBS wins the last 7 years than a few B12 programs. UNI, South Dakota State, Illinois State, Indiana State all have FBS scalps as well in the last few years. SIU was 1 point away from being Illinois and finished last year a terrible 3-8. That doesn't sound like much, but when your limited to 63 scholarships compared to 85 and you're still looking like that in sagarin and vs FBS it's pretty damn good.
Last edited by uniftw on June 10th, 2016, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » June 10th, 2016, 1:45 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:

I'm not out of touch with the elite football scene.

Point to where I ever characterize MWC football as good or bad.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball