Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby Snaggletooth » May 4th, 2016, 10:39 pm

uniftw wrote:I know WSU has money, but do they really have the money needed to start a football program and play at the MWC level of funding?.

I personally think that this is Bardo carrying out his promise that he would put legitimate effort in fully evaluating the cost/benefits of football. He gather and lay out the facts - then we move on. I don't expect to see football back at WSU.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » May 5th, 2016, 12:12 am

uniftw wrote:I know WSU has money, but do they really have the money needed to start a football program and play at the MWC level of funding?

I know they have a stadium already there, but I can't imagine it's actually football ready. It's likely going to take tens of millions of dollars to rehab that place. It would be one of the smaller MWC venues. The way WSU's ego seems to work across athletic department showing of status I'd be a 40-50K seat stadium would be built. That's a minimum of 350 million - UNLV is looking at stadiums and their 50,000 outdoor venue was quoted at 490 million. Plus the cost of starting a program, plus the cost of maintaining a program.

MWC football HC salaries average about 750,000. Add in assistant pay and you're looking at 10 coaches that average about 300K each. You're looking at 4M a year in football salaries - to be middle of the road in the MWC.

It's a big task for existing and established programs to step that kind of money up. To start from absolute scratch and go straight there is, well, hopefully the Koch brothers like football and don't mind shelling out what they do for basketball and then an extra 8 figures a year to run the football program.

A very complete analysis. While the figgers may be questioned, most of the hurdles are identified.

Most folks do not support the return of football.

So generally speaking, you are preaching to the choir.

This snipe was not necessary: "The way WSU's ego seems to work across athletic department showing of status."

Football will get you broke.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » May 5th, 2016, 7:50 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
uniftw wrote:I know WSU has money, but do they really have the money needed to start a football program and play at the MWC level of funding?

I know they have a stadium already there, but I can't imagine it's actually football ready. It's likely going to take tens of millions of dollars to rehab that place. It would be one of the smaller MWC venues. The way WSU's ego seems to work across athletic department showing of status I'd be a 40-50K seat stadium would be built. That's a minimum of 350 million - UNLV is looking at stadiums and their 50,000 outdoor venue was quoted at 490 million. Plus the cost of starting a program, plus the cost of maintaining a program.

MWC football HC salaries average about 750,000. Add in assistant pay and you're looking at 10 coaches that average about 300K each. You're looking at 4M a year in football salaries - to be middle of the road in the MWC.

It's a big task for existing and established programs to step that kind of money up. To start from absolute scratch and go straight there is, well, hopefully the Koch brothers like football and don't mind shelling out what they do for basketball and then an extra 8 figures a year to run the football program.

A very complete analysis. While the figgers may be questioned, most of the hurdles are identified.

Most folks do not support the return of football.

So generally speaking, you are preaching to the choir.

This snipe was not necessary: "The way WSU's ego seems to work across athletic department showing of status."

Football will get you broke.

Typical MVC/Teacher's college kind of sniping/thinking. God forbid someone think outside the box and think big. I'm sorry their shithole school in the middle of bumfuck nowhere has a ceiling about 2 feet high but that's life. I have no problem embracing what you are. We all do in some way.

But that doesn't mean everyone has to stay with you. Jealousy, pure and simple.

Now, regarding the MWC. We'll have some answers before too long but this is hardly breaking news. WSU has been reaching out to many conferences the last 24 months or so. By FAR and away the biggest hurdle is other conferences not wanting to split their current revenue streams one more way. WSU bringing a strong basketball program isn't viewed as a plus. It's viewed as a negative, stealing a bid from an already existing member. It's just the landscape today. WSU has and will offer to pay their way into a conference but whether or not they can convince a plurality of schools to agree to accept is the $64 question.

Personally I don't think it's going to happen, but I suppose stranger things have in the past. We have as many bullets in our gun as will fit to TRY and get this done.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AACguy » May 5th, 2016, 8:07 am

For the record, most of us still think the AAC is the best spot for Wichita State. Better football and basketball and it's not really even close.

http://www.aacmessageboard.com
AACguy
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby tribecalledquest » May 5th, 2016, 10:22 am

To move to a new conference that usually means someone has to actually invite you to join. You just can't show up on the doorstep with a backpack and sleeping bag and say you are moving in.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 5th, 2016, 10:26 am

AACguy wrote:For the record, most of us still think the AAC is the best spot for Wichita State. Better football and basketball and it's not really even close.

http://www.aacmessageboard.com

What happens with Cinci, Memphis, Houston and UCF are taken by the B12?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUShox88 » May 5th, 2016, 1:13 pm

[quote="tribecalledquest"]To move to a new conference that usually means someone has to actually invite you to join. You just can't show up on the doorstep with a backpack and sleeping bag and say you are moving in.[/quote]

I think some of you are failing to note the spin a few of the national articles are saying about this. WSU isn't banging down on the MWC's door asking for an invite. They're simply exploring and feeling out the waters.

Can you really a fault a school for doing that?

No.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ShoxNAwe » May 6th, 2016, 6:40 am

Yes, this isn't about ego. It's about improving your lot in life, like looking for a better job than the one you have. Who here would deny someone that right or ridicule someone for trying?

Maybe those who celebrate the day they were invited to join the MVC as one of the greatest days in the history of their University should stand down and let others test their limits and explore their own new heights.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » May 6th, 2016, 11:03 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:Yes, this isn't about ego. It's about improving your lot in life, like looking for a better job than the one you have. Who here would deny someone that right or ridicule someone for trying?

Maybe those who celebrate the day they were invited to join the MVC as one of the greatest days in the history of their University should stand down and let others test their limits and explore their own new heights.

No one. Im not ridiculing WSU here. I just think its something that won't ever happen.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Veritas » May 6th, 2016, 2:01 pm

WSU is NOT going to stay in the MoVal with the current state of affairs of the conference.
All of this discussion would be a moot point if the IlSU, MSU would start picking up their slack a little.
The MoVal needs 3 teams minimum in the NCAA for WSU to feel slightly comfortable.
It's not expected that teams reach the WSU level, but who is going to step up to at least the level of UNI.

Maybe it's time to start kicking out bad teams/ schools rather than waiting for the good teams/ schools to leave.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball