Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby shocktheheart » May 6th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Veritas wrote:WSU is NOT going to stay in the MoVal with the current state of affairs of the conference.
All of this discussion would be a moot point if the IlSU, MSU would start picking up their slack a little.
The MoVal needs 3 teams minimum in the NCAA for WSU to feel slightly comfortable.
It's not expected that teams reach the WSU level, but who is going to step up to at least the level of UNI.

Maybe it's time to start kicking out bad teams/ schools rather than waiting for the good teams/ schools to leave.

Great idea, but who are you going to replace the teams you kick out with? Has to be realistic as well as they aren't coming to the Valley if they play big boy football or are in a conference that is already more "prestigious" and getting more TV money.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » May 6th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Not going to be popular but...

The xDSU's.

They'll spend more and do more to be better than Drake, Loyola, Evansville, Indiana State and Bradley.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » May 6th, 2016, 3:12 pm

uniftw wrote:Not going to be popular but...

The xDSU's.

They'll spend more and do more to be better than Drake, Loyola, Evansville, Indiana State and Bradley.

I wouldn't put Bradley in that group. Bradley has the money and fan support to get out of their streak of losing. xDSU's may spend more, but the travel will not be looked kindly for some of the Valley current members.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 6th, 2016, 3:32 pm

shocktheheart wrote:

The xDSU's.

I wouldn't put Bradley in that group. Bradley has the money and fan support to get out of their streak of losing. xDSU's may spend more, but the travel will not be looked kindly for some of the Valley current members.

When Bradley actually gets out of their decade long losing skid I'll believe they can
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » May 6th, 2016, 3:50 pm

uniftw wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:

The xDSU's.

When Bradley actually gets out of their decade long losing skid I'll believe they can

There's one other school in this conference that actually gets decent fan support during decade long losing skids and continues to pump money in hoping it will get fixed. How did that go?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » May 6th, 2016, 6:00 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:To move to a new conference that usually means someone has to actually invite you to join. You just can't show up on the doorstep with a backpack and sleeping bag and say you are moving in.

<sigh>
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » May 8th, 2016, 6:56 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:Yes, this isn't about ego. It's about improving your lot in life, like looking for a better job than the one you have. Who here would deny someone that right or ridicule someone for trying?

Maybe those who celebrate the day they were invited to join the MVC as one of the greatest days in the history of their University should stand down and let others test their limits and explore their own new heights.

Maybe a few WSU posters [not all] should go back and review comments made when Creighton explored and then acted on moving, or threads about other programs considering moves in order to step up in football. I agree that WSU should explore every possible avenue, timing is everything, and what better time for them. Just don't play both sides of the argument about how it's stupid and folly when other schools look for opportunities but something to be applauded when WSU does and if a negative opinion is floated, it's all about jealousy.

Again I think WSU should pursue any option they have the resources to make work, makes sense at this point and time.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 8th, 2016, 7:58 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:Yes, this isn't about ego. It's about improving your lot in life, like looking for a better job than the one you have. Who here would deny someone that right or ridicule someone for trying?

Maybe those who celebrate the day they were invited to join the MVC as one of the greatest days in the history of their University should stand down and let others test their limits and explore their own new heights.

Maybe a few WSU posters [not all] should go back and review comments made when Creighton explored and then acted on moving, or threads about other programs considering moves in order to step up in football. I agree that WSU should explore every possible avenue, timing is everything, and what better time for them. Just don't play both sides of the argument about how it's stupid and folly when other schools look for opportunities but something to be applauded when WSU does and if a negative opinion is floated, it's all about jealousy.

Again I think WSU should pursue any option they have the resources to make work, makes sense at this point and time.

But the MSU sealed envelope stuff was ridiculous. And looking for an invite to the Sunbelt? Those two things were over the top funny way beyond the legitimacy of the claims.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » May 8th, 2016, 9:17 am

Sometimes I miss CaseyGarrison4Prez
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » May 8th, 2016, 10:23 am

Wufan wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:

But the MSU sealed envelope stuff was ridiculous. And looking for an invite to the Sunbelt? Those two things were over the top funny way beyond the legitimacy of the claims.

You are right. The sealed envelope was ridiculous and hilarious in retrospect. But that doesn't make Bearz point any less valid.

Personally I think WSU is right to look at everything and all options. But I feel it would be absolutely the wrong move for you to start a football team from scratch given the cost involved. In fact you could make the argument that proposition is totally ridiculous given the state of college athletics. I have no doubt WSU could find the resources to pull it off. But at what cost?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball