Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby SubGod22 » August 30th, 2016, 3:19 pm

uniftw wrote:
2livewu wrote:
uniftw wrote:I truly hope that WSU commits to the MVC and works with UNI to create and push an agenda for getting the ship righted for the rest of the conference.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment, but how exactly does WSU "work with UNI"?

Both have similar interests in the MVC being a top 7 RPI conference again, much more so than the others. It's no secret they are the two most committed to basketball success.

If the two can form the start of an "alliance" to get schools willing to challenge themselves, look for members better than freaking LoyOLa to drive membership, etc...

Essentially "work together" to attempt to force change within the conference rather than sitting in Cedar Falls and Wichita bitching about the same thing but not having a unified voice pushing a well defined agenda.

We're still outnumbered by the sisters of the poor who have no desire to do anything more than they already are.

This conference is mostly a lost cause.

Prove me wrong.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » August 30th, 2016, 3:53 pm

SubGod22 wrote:We're still outnumbered by the sisters of the poor who have no desire to do anything more than they already are.

This conference is mostly a lost cause.

Prove me wrong.
I don't disagree. I guess I view it as having a unified voice rather than screaming from opposite sides of the room.

Maybe UNI and WSU pushing the same rock down the hill gets things moving faster than one pushing rock a trying to get others to follow and another pushing rock b
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » August 30th, 2016, 7:52 pm

What has UNI done the every other school has not done other than lucking into hiring a couple of good coaches? I think other schools have tried just as hard or harder to have success but have screwed up or had bad luck. It amazes me that UNI fans think that their success is because of some greater commitment or desire to win. What exactly has UNI done that other schools could emulate to create Basketball success?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 31st, 2016, 2:33 pm

Drakey wrote:What has UNI done the every other school has not done other than lucking into hiring a couple of good coaches? I think other schools have tried just as hard or harder to have success but have screwed up or had bad luck. It amazes me that UNI fans think that their success is because of some greater commitment or desire to win. What exactly has UNI done that other schools could emulate to create Basketball success?

:+1:

Congrats to WSU and UNI for hitting home runs on their basketball hires, then thinking that translates to them caring or trying harder.

Jacobson, when hired, was only for $159K!!! Here is an article about it: http://www.thegazette.com/2010/03/24/no ... n-jacobson

So, it's not like they went out and said "we are willing to pay $1 million to the best coach available". No, they got lucky and NOW are willing to pay him more for it as they see how it helps the economical side of UNI sports.

But, yes you guys all care way more than us minions at the other 8 schools. WE ARE NOT WORTHY :roll:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » August 31st, 2016, 3:01 pm

Well said BirdsEyeView :+1:

"But, yes you guys all care way more than us minions at the other 8 schools. WE ARE NOT WORTHY" :roll:

I guess cycles don't apply to UNI :bow: & WSU :bow:
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » August 31st, 2016, 3:43 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Drakey wrote:What has UNI done the every other school has not done other than lucking into hiring a couple of good coaches? I think other schools have tried just as hard or harder to have success but have screwed up or had bad luck. It amazes me that UNI fans think that their success is because of some greater commitment or desire to win. What exactly has UNI done that other schools could emulate to create Basketball success?

:+1:

Congrats to WSU and UNI for hitting home runs on their basketball hires, then thinking that translates to them caring or trying harder.

Jacobson, when hired, was only for $159K!!! Here is an article about it: http://www.thegazette.com/2010/03/24/no ... n-jacobson

So, it's not like they went out and said "we are willing to pay $1 million to the best coach available". No, they got lucky and NOW are willing to pay him more for it as they see how it helps the economical side of UNI sports.

But, yes you guys all care way more than us minions at the other 8 schools. WE ARE NOT WORTHY :roll:

Difference has been UNI and WSU, once success was gained, pushed to keep moving forward. Found donors to pay coaches. Upped program funding. Upped SOS. Challenged themselves to get better at all times. Yes, a decade ago Jake was hired at 159. He's now at a million.

Evansville, Illinois State, SIU, Drake, Bradley, etc... have all shown that they aren't willing to pay to maintain success. They aren't willing to push themselves as hard as WSU or UNI.

Drake wasn't willing to pay Keno and he bolted. Evansville (likely) has the lowest pay in the league. Bradley pays well but can't find a coach worth a damn so they end up over paying.

I found a thread on DrakeNation just now from March 2010, quoting that same number for Jake's pay and it had numerous posters saying he was gone with any kind of post season bid that year. Well, UNI made the S16 and raised over a half million dollars between the Kansas win and the Tuesday after to sign Jake to a new deal. UNI has a top 25 team in 2014 and rather than risking losing Jake what does UNI do? Find another, roughly, half million dollars to pay him to keep him.

This has been beaten to death on here before in an effort to "Bring UNI down" to your level. Yes, until 2004 UNI was horrid. No question. Since 2004 they have the most conference tournament titles, most NCAA appearances, haven't been a PIG team (longest streak in the conference), and have become a house hold name paying their coach a million dollars.

Meanwhile, what has Bradley or SIU done since their 2006 S16? How did they parlay that success? What did they do to drive forward? What has Evasnville done to build off of last years team, the best team? There is still talk about if they have the right coach in place and he's been there nearly a decade.

Keep bringing up salaries and records from 10-20 years ago. UNI has done more for the Valley in the last decade than anyone except Creighton and WSU....and even then UNI has more S16s than Creighton did.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » September 1st, 2016, 6:34 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:

You didn't complete your argument. You put UNI and WSU in the same category with your opening statement and then only gave a supporting statement regarding UNI. Did you forget your thought and stop prematurely or did you not complete your college education at your esteemed university?
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » September 1st, 2016, 9:55 am

mvcfan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

You didn't complete your argument. You put UNI and WSU in the same category with your opening statement and then only gave a supporting statement regarding UNI. Did you forget your thought and stop prematurely or did you not complete your college education at your esteemed university?

I did not miss your condescending tone, mvcfan, especially coming from a guy who represents a school that is in the lowest of echelons in academic prestige. 96% acceptance rates, etc. You have absolutely no room to talk. http://www.forbes.com/colleges/wichita- ... niversity/

By the way, I went to the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana in their top 50 business school. I am a townie of Bloomington/Normal and have since moved back. So I have been a life long ISU Redbird supporter. Good try though.

As for my argument and leaving out WSU, I only approached it from one angle (based on who I was talking towards - the UNI fan), but Gregg has had a much larger percentage increase in his salary over the years than even Ben Jacobson (it doesn't hurt to have brother billionaires pay his $3.3 million salary - a luxury all other MVC schools do not have).

In the current state of MVC basketball, the only real difference is the quality of basketball coaches. Gregg Marshall and Ben Jacobson are head and shoulders above all other coaches. I would never want ISUr to pay Dan Muller a ton more money given the adequate results he has shown thus far....not worth it. Ditto can be said for all other schools.

Yes, historically other schools have failed to keep their coaches by increasing their pay to the levels of Marshall and Jacobson. So I can see that argument. However, my original point of my post was to defend the argument by the UNI fan that "only Wichita and Northern Iowa try and care to make their basketball programs good." THAT IS NOT TRUE. The other 8 schools are making an effort, but none have hit home runs yet on a coach worthy of paying 7 figures....

Just like an NFL team who is looking for the next Peyton Manning. My Bears are stuck in mediocrity due to a very average QB. In terms of value to the sport and how it translates to success of their teams/programs...
College Basketball Coaches = Quarterbacks

You need a great coach to recruit, in-game coach, build a powerhouse program. That's not easy to find in the MVC.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » September 1st, 2016, 10:22 am

Another great post BirdsEyeView / I'll give you a ILL-INI shout out for that post!

I was curious on the Forbes Rankings you referenced in regard to the MVC:
Drake #136
Bradley #259
Loyola #279
Evansville #302
UNI #401
IL State #409
WIchita State #560
MO State #561
SIU #618
IN State #647
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » September 1st, 2016, 10:33 am

UEACES80 wrote:Another great post BirdsEyeView / I'll give you a ILL-INI shout out for that post!

I was curious on the Forbes Rankings you referenced in regard to the MVC:
Drake #136
Bradley #259
Loyola #279
Evansville #302
UNI #401
IL State #409
WIchita State #560
MO State #561
SIU #618
IN State #647

Thank you.

Meanwhile University of Illinois comes in at #72 overall.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball