WSU signs H/H with OkState

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU signs H/H with OkState

Postby AndShock » June 14th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Oklahoma State forced us to play at IBA just as much as we forced OU to play at Chesapeake.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » June 15th, 2016, 9:45 am

AndShock wrote:Oklahoma State forced us to play at IBA just as much as we forced OU to play at Chesapeake.

No one said "forced".
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » June 15th, 2016, 10:32 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
AndShock wrote:Oklahoma State forced us to play at IBA just as much as we forced OU to play at Chesapeake.

No one said "forced".

Actually, you did when you said Wichita didn't have a choice.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RoyalShock » June 15th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Three other reasons for playing at IBA that hasn't been mentioned yet here, but has been mentioned by Marshall:

1. The players like playing there.
2. Marshall likes to bring recruits to that game.
3. It's not part of the season ticket package so it's additional $$$ in WSU's pocket.

It's fairly well-known that it was a requirement to the Tennessee series, so it may very well have been a requirement of both the OSU and OU series. But there are several additional advantages to playing a game there for WSU.

The question is, why is playing there a requirement to these schools? It doesn't help get the game on TV. It may allow a few of their fans to attend, but let's be honest. How many UTenn/OU/OSU fans are going to attend an away basketball game before they've played their bowl game? The only reason that really makes sense is they think it helps to mitigate the Koch Arena advantage. I'm not sure that's true, seeing as how WSU is undefeated in IBA.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mvcfan » June 15th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Another aspect to the OU game that is being played in Chesapeake Arena next year. They are playing the game there for the exact reason that WSU is playing in IBA. They are trying to have a one time BIG TIME NBA type of atmosphere to inject some adrenaline into their basketball program instead of their smaller on campus arena.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » June 16th, 2016, 10:52 am

RoyalShock wrote:Three other reasons for playing at IBA that hasn't been mentioned yet here, but has been mentioned by Marshall:

3. It's not part of the season ticket package so it's additional $$$ in WSU's pocket.

It's fairly well-known that it was a requirement to the Tennessee series, so it may very well have been a requirement of both the OSU and OU series. But there are several additional advantages to playing a game there for WSU.

The question is, why is playing there a requirement to these schools? It doesn't help get the game on TV. It may allow a few of their fans to attend, but let's be honest. How many UTenn/OU/OSU fans are going to attend an away basketball game before they've played their bowl game? The only reason that really makes sense is they think it helps to mitigate the Koch Arena advantage. I'm not sure that's true, seeing as how WSU is undefeated in IBA.

If it's not a part of the season ticket package I have a hard time calling it a "home game". Koch Arena is the home arena. Again, its semantics but its not a true home and home.

Right, wrong or indifferent 95% of the schools would rather play a game at an "in city" arena than on the other teams regular home court.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 16th, 2016, 11:43 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:Three other reasons for playing at IBA that hasn't been mentioned yet here, but has been mentioned by Marshall:

If it's not a part of the season ticket package I have a hard time calling it a "home game". Koch Arena is the home arena. Again, its semantics but its not a true home and home.

Right, wrong or indifferent 95% of the schools would rather play a game at an "in city" arena than on the other teams regular home court.

Meh. It's not part of the season ticket package because they tried that once and it was a disaster. Mapping seating from one arena to the other didn't work, and people were mad. So now they don't include it, but open sales to season ticket holders well before the general public.

I would imagine both WSU and OU want to play in IBA in 2017-2018 as it is an NCAA site that year. Familiarity can only help.

End of the day, WSU is absolutely going to play at least 1 game at IBA every year so long as Marshall is here, because he likes it. And selling 15k tickets is a little harder for South Carolina State.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » June 16th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Meh. It's not part of the season ticket package because they tried that once and it was a disaster. Mapping seating from one arena to the other didn't work, and people were mad. So now they don't include it, but open sales to season ticket holders well before the general public.

I would imagine both WSU and OU want to play in IBA in 2017-2018 as it is an NCAA site that year. Familiarity can only help.

End of the day, WSU is absolutely going to play at least 1 game at IBA every year so long as Marshall is here, because he likes it. And selling 15k tickets is a little harder for South Carolina State.

It might help OU, but wont help WSU with "Familiarity". WSU isn't allow to play at IBA in the NCAA tournament as they will be the "hosting school"
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » June 16th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:It might help OU, but wont help WSU with "Familiarity". WSU isn't allow to play at IBA in the NCAA tournament as they will be the "hosting school"

Things change. More than once, a school has relegated their 'host' status to their league when on pace for a protected seed in order to play games close to home.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » June 16th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:It might help OU, but wont help WSU with "Familiarity". WSU isn't allow to play at IBA in the NCAA tournament as they will be the "hosting school"

Things change. More than once, a school has relegated their 'host' status to their league when on pace for a protected seed in order to play games close to home.

Except I believe that there's also something about being in the same city or within a certain distance or something. Basically, Wichita will never play an NCAA tournament game in Wichita. Doesn't matter what our seed is, unless the NCAA changes whatever stipulation that is that they use. There may be an exception if there's more than one D1 team in the city or something, but that doesn't help us unless Newman ends up D1.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball