WSU signs H/H with OkState

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU signs H/H with OkState

Postby Cdizzle » June 17th, 2016, 10:02 am

SubGod22 wrote:
AndShock wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:Except I believe that there's also something about being in the same city or within a certain distance or something. Basically, Wichita will never play an NCAA tournament game in Wichita. Doesn't matter what our seed is, unless the NCAA changes whatever stipulation that is that they use. There may be an exception if there's more than one D1 team in the city or something, but that doesn't help us unless Newman ends up D1.

I can't find that rule anywhere, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

http://www.ncaa.com/content/di-principl ... selection/

A team will not be permitted to play in any
facility in which it has played more than
three games during its season, not including
exhibitions and conference postseason
tournaments.

A host institution’s team shall not be
permitted to play at the site where the
institution is hosting. However, the team may
play on the same days when the institution is
hosting.

Those are the only applicable rules that I could find that would apply to Wichita State playing in Wichita.

I'm seeing a scenario in which we're able to be sent to Wichita to play if the Valley were to accept full hosting duties but instead the Valley just tells us to go f ourselves.

I'd love for you to be right. I'd read something about it somewhere when the arena was being built. No clue where the "rule" came from as it's been a few. I want to say it was posted somewhere on the message board I no longer frequent but it could have been somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure the exact scenario occurred like 2 years ago. I'm trying to remember the team/city. I'll look it up when I get a chance.

I would point out, however, that I also intended to imply in my original comment that OU would want to play in the arena that year for the same reason.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » June 17th, 2016, 11:02 am

Cdizzle wrote:I'm pretty sure the exact scenario occurred like 2 years ago. I'm trying to remember the team/city. I'll look it up when I get a chance.

I would point out, however, that I also intended to imply in my original comment that OU would want to play in the arena that year for the same reason.

Oklahoma withdrew as co-host in 2003 and Big XII assumed sole hosting duties.

You and AndShock are correct. Sub is mistaken.

However, as AndShock mentioned, the MVC would have to be willing to step up and do WSU a solid in such a scenario. The interests would be aligned so I think it would be likely, but who knows given the current climate between the two institutions.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » June 17th, 2016, 11:07 am

It was a long time ago, but I may be thinking about the distinction between what can be considered a neutral site or what is a home site when off campus. But I thought that somehow tied into not being able to play an NCAA tournament game on what could be considered a home court.

I'll have to find time to dig into it to see if I can find anything about it.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » June 17th, 2016, 11:13 am

SubGod22 wrote:It was a long time ago, but I may be thinking about the distinction between what can be considered a neutral site or what is a home site when off campus. But I thought that somehow tied into not being able to play an NCAA tournament game on what could be considered a home court.

I'll have to find time to dig into it to see if I can find anything about it.

You may be thinking of the distance rule for home/neutral designation for RPI purposes, which was tweaked several years back. The distance rule has no bearing on a team's eligibility to play in its host city.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby purple&orange » June 17th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Villanova has done this at times. They used to play a number of games at the NBA facility, the Wells Fargo Arena, but in years that it has served as host, they've limited themselves to 3 games there and either the Big East has served as a host, or another Philly Big 5 school.

IF, and a big if, the MVC would take hosting duties away Wichita State would have to have a great year where they would be a protected seed. With Kansas constantly being a high seed, Wichita would have to be the a top area team if you will. Take this year's seedings with Intrust as an assumed host. KU and OU were a #1 and #3 respectively. Even if Wichita was a 4 seed instead of the 11 that they were, they probably don't get protected for the first weekend and stay at home. Fair or not, I do believe there would be outrage to keep Wichita in town at a higher level than if Gonzaga played at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena which often hosts for example, even if Intrust would have hosted during the undefeated regular season. But it seems there is a North Carolina first weekend site yearly that Duke/North Carolina or both seem to end up at almost every season without any sort of backlash. I'm actually surprised that some rival schools like Kentucky and Louisville don't have a handshake/wink-wink deal that they bid on different years either the regional or the first weekend so they can stay close to home at times which could potentially be a large advantage to each program and I'm sure the NCAA would love that financially as well.

Wichita is fortunate to have a great on campus arena as well as a great arena in the city. To have almost a yearly Showcase Game at Intrust that may allow for a Power 5 school that maybe wouldn't come to Koch is a great asset for the program. I can remember games vs Utah, Tennessee, Seton Hall being played there. Not many MVC programs are fortunate enough to have that setup either because they play in a city owned facility or the on campus venue is the best/only option in town. After looking online I see a hockey team calls it home, I have no idea if Wichita State was thought of when the arena was built, if they were an afterthought or if it could possibly be a permanent home some day. Whatever the case, it's good to see the Shockers have the ability to get Power 5 teams to come to town, regardless of venue.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » June 20th, 2016, 8:24 am

purple&orange wrote:Villanova has done this at times. They used to play a number of games at the NBA facility, the Wells Fargo Arena, but in years that it has served as host, they've limited themselves to 3 games there and either the Big East has served as a host, or another Philly Big 5 school.

IF, and a big if, the MVC would take hosting duties away Wichita State would have to have a great year where they would be a protected seed. With Kansas constantly being a high seed, Wichita would have to be the a top area team if you will. Take this year's seedings with Intrust as an assumed host. KU and OU were a #1 and #3 respectively. Even if Wichita was a 4 seed instead of the 11 that they were, they probably don't get protected for the first weekend and stay at home. Fair or not, I do believe there would be outrage to keep Wichita in town at a higher level than if Gonzaga played at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena which often hosts for example, even if Intrust would have hosted during the undefeated regular season. But it seems there is a North Carolina first weekend site yearly that Duke/North Carolina or both seem to end up at almost every season without any sort of backlash. I'm actually surprised that some rival schools like Kentucky and Louisville don't have a handshake/wink-wink deal that they bid on different years either the regional or the first weekend so they can stay close to home at times which could potentially be a large advantage to each program and I'm sure the NCAA would love that financially as well.

Wichita is fortunate to have a great on campus arena as well as a great arena in the city. To have almost a yearly Showcase Game at Intrust that may allow for a Power 5 school that maybe wouldn't come to Koch is a great asset for the program. I can remember games vs Utah, Tennessee, Seton Hall being played there. Not many MVC programs are fortunate enough to have that setup either because they play in a city owned facility or the on campus venue is the best/only option in town. After looking online I see a hockey team calls it home, I have no idea if Wichita State was thought of when the arena was built, if they were an afterthought or if it could possibly be a permanent home some day. Whatever the case, it's good to see the Shockers have the ability to get Power 5 teams to come to town, regardless of venue.

The arena was built mostly to attract higher level of concerts, which it has, and to host college basketball games, mostly NCAA tournament, which it has (women's) and will (men's). It was also, at the time, talked about how Wichita could benefit from it and some tried to convince us that we should relocate all home games there. I don't see that ever happening, but I could see them eventually play 2 or 3 games downtown, but will always play at least 1.

The hockey team called the Kansas Coliseum home and move to Intrust when everything happened. Intrust is also home to an Indoor Football team. Arena's have to make money and they need to be used and I believe the Thunder (hockey) draw pretty well. I know there was a time that they'd sell out, or close to it, the Coliseum which I believe held close to 10k for hockey. I haven't looked to see what their averages are now, but they have a solid fan base as they've been around for about 30 years or so. I'm not sure how the football team draws as we've been in so many different leagues and different ownership groups and different team names that it's hard to completely get into sometimes. At least for me. But they're usually fun and they are playing for a title in whatever league they're in now. So that can't hurt.

Intrust has been great for the city, it was just built too small.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » July 6th, 2016, 10:09 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:Because we're choosing to play it in front of 15k instead of 10k so that more people get an opportunity to watch than usual.

Why not move all games there then?

Look...you know who wanted this game at InTrust and not Koch Arena---Oklahoma State. It's ok to admit this.

It's a great game for WSU. No doubt. But it's not a true home and home.

If OSU wanted the game at IBA then they are stupid...WSU HAS YET TO LOSE THERE.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball